PDA

View Full Version : Ruger american ranch rifle

PB234
12-04-2016, 03:04 PM
Been reading and it looks like a remarkable value for a light handy rifle. Anyone have experience with it and can share their thoughts? Not sure if the 223 or the Blackout is more fitting for my uses. Is the stock a bit too light and flimsy impacting accuracy? Trigger OK? Just looks like an excellent value for a knock about enjoyable versatile rifle. Always liked old wood stocked rifles, but coming to see the beauty in this one which would never tempt to be a safe queen.

The Blackout seems like it might be a good replacement and more versatile than the 357/77 now discontinued. Next will have to read about reloading the Blackout to see if it can take very light loads along with full loads.

dragon813gt
12-04-2016, 03:08 PM
My only issue is the low comb. It doesn't come w/ irons and any optic I've but on it has me pulling me cheek off the stock. Seeing as how it had a threaded barrel for suppressor use the low comb is even more baffling to me.

Outside of that it's a handy little carbine. Mine is in 300 BO.

Bzcraig
12-04-2016, 03:43 PM
Have one in 223 and currenty working up loads in it but certain it will be a moa rifle. I didn't like the stock at all and put a Boyds on it, made a world of difference as far as the comb goes, added a bit more weight and sure made it look better.

quilbilly
12-04-2016, 03:47 PM
I almost bought a RAR rifle but changed my mind when I looked at the twist rate on the label which was 1/7 if memory serves. I ended up buying a T/C Venture at a similar price with a 1/12 which I thought would be better with CB's. I still like the looks of the RAR and it would certainly a handy little thing for back-of-the-truck - more so than the Venture. Nevertheless, the Venture did shoot .7" right out of the box with 52 gr jacketed at a light load for 2400 FPS which was better than advertised. I am still working on choosing the right CB and right powder for that CB.

dragon813gt
12-04-2016, 03:52 PM
I didn't like the stock at all and put a Boyds on it, made a world of difference as far as the comb goes, added a bit more weight and sure made it look better.

Which one? I know they make them for the American but I haven't seen them for the Ranch version.

mcdaniel.mac
12-04-2016, 04:06 PM
Which one? I know they make them for the American but I haven't seen them for the Ranch version.
I think the stocks are all the same, action length notwithstanding. I the Ranch has the same barrel profile as the Predator, which I have, just shorter.

Bzcraig
12-05-2016, 12:44 AM
I think the stocks are all the same, action length notwithstanding. I the Ranch has the same barrel profile as the Predator, which I have, just shorter.

This is true. Before I bought the Ranch I bought an American 308 compact and put a Boyds on it. When I bought the Ranch I checked to see if it would fit in the 308 stock and it did so I ordered one.

mcdaniel.mac
12-05-2016, 12:53 AM
This is true. Before I bought the Ranch I bought an American 308 compact and put a Boyds on it. When I bought the Ranch I checked to see if it would fit in the 308 stock and it did so I ordered one.
How's it handle? I've considered the Featherweight for mine in a nice Forest Camo laminate.

Bzcraig
12-05-2016, 01:14 AM
How's it handle? I've considered the Featherweight for mine in a nice Forest Camo laminate.

It's a very nice stock and was very easy to bed but does take away the very light feel of the rifle which I was totally okay with. I have pretty fat hands and it took awhile for me to get comfortable with the pistol grip because it is a little thick. I am very happy with the stock and have no regrets about the purchase of this one or the one on my 308.

marlin39a
12-05-2016, 02:52 AM
I have an American Ranch in the 5.56 caliber. It has a 1-8" twist. It is my walking varminter up here in the high desert. It shoots 50 gr V-Max reloads very well, but I am thinking of going to 60 gr for a little more killing power. It is lightweight, and accurate.

Smoke4320
12-05-2016, 06:05 AM
I have the blackout. It loves noe 247 HPs at 1050 or 1450, Lyman 180 -190, hornady 220
Or if you want fast Lee 155 or 125 gr Bowler ballistic tips. Great gun for a suppressor. Low recoil. Makes a great youth gun
Have sold ( ffl dealer) at least 6 blackouts, 2 or or 3 243's and 7-08's. Every customer has thanked me for the suggestion and every one has commented on the great accuracy

liliysdad
12-05-2016, 08:59 AM
I have the 300 Blackout, and it is rapidly becoming one of my favorite rifles. I killed a decent little public land 8pt this year with a 110gr Sierra Varminter HP, and it worked very, very well. While the stock isnt my most favorite part of the gun, I am sure not going to strap it into a heavy turd wood stock. I may eventually buy an MDT LSS chassis for it, which will also allow me to use the AICS pattern mags as opposed to the somewhat crappy Ruger mags.

dragon813gt
12-05-2016, 09:52 AM

Thank you. I wasn't sure about the forearm length. Now that I know it's the same length I'm good to go.

1Hawkeye
12-05-2016, 12:32 PM
I have the blackout also it's surprising how accurate it is. The stock is not to flexible on mine which I have been playing around with various bullet weighs in both cast and jacketed. Hornady 150 gr spire point will put 5 shots at a 100 yards you can cover with a nickel and I have 2 loads for the Lyman 311359 115 gr GC sp sonic and subsonic. I'm waiting to try the lee 311 155 gr GC and see how it works. I know what they are saying about stock flex I had a predator model that was flexing. Now that I have some feedback on the boyds stock I might upgrade but the factory stock I have is fine. I have learned that flexing can vary from stock to stock.

leadman
12-05-2016, 01:22 PM
I bought the Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have had it twice to the range and have around 60 rounds thru it. About half of the groups are at or under an inch at 100 yards.
The metal surfaces of the action are smooth but not polished and it takes a bit for them to improve. The trigger is adjustable but mine won't go less than 3.5 pounds. I will give it more time and see if it improves.
I bought mine thru Davidson's Gallery of Guns and it was delivered to a local shop. Cost me $359 out the door for the gun. Spent another $38 for a spare magazine. A gun from Davidson's also carries a lifetime warranty.
I like the 70 degree bolt lift and the 3 locking lugs. I plan on buying another in left hand and either 308 or 7-08. The Predator is right hand bolt but works well for this lefty off the bench.

mcdaniel.mac
12-05-2016, 10:11 PM
It's a very nice stock and was very easy to bed but does take away the very light feel of the rifle which I was totally okay with. I have pretty fat hands and it took awhile for me to get comfortable with the pistol grip because it is a little thick. I am very happy with the stock and have no regrets about the purchase of this one or the one on my 308.
That's good to hear. I've got a new can in jail, might pick up a second American to go with it.

PB234
12-07-2016, 05:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJArlpvuz2k&feature=youtu.be

Thoughts?

leadman
12-07-2016, 08:13 AM
I have seen several videos like about that the shooter fills in the forend. So far I haven't seen a need but have not shot it off a bipod yet. In the booklet that comes with the gun Ruger goes into what they don't want you to do, like sanding out the forend, etc., before sending it to them if it is not meeting what you think it should for accuracy. I am going to leave mine as bought for now.

Texas by God
12-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Mine shot great but feeding was erratic. My daughters was flawless. Both were .243. A great rifle for the small cost and a wood stock and single stage trigger would really improve it IMO.

PB234
12-07-2016, 11:45 AM
Single stage trigger , perhaps this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxq2vlwqhIM

http://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/RUGER-AMERICAN-CENTERFIRE--P66.aspx

Any idea how many pounds in a Boyd's wood stock? For a few dollars more they will adjust the length of pull which is excellent.

MDT LSS chassis looks interesting but costly and not sure it works for the 300 Blackout after brief reading of the website.

liliysdad
12-07-2016, 12:57 PM
It does work for the Blackout..the Blackout is no different than the 223, uses the same AICS pattern 223 mags.

dragon813gt
12-07-2016, 01:20 PM
That MDT chassis is almost as much as the rifle costs. To each their own but that's a bit steep.

liliysdad
12-07-2016, 07:13 PM
Not steep at all for what you get...and you still have to factor in the cost of a grip, stock, and buffer tube.

The ability to run AICS mags is easily worth the cost, the added rigidity over the factory tupperware is just a bonus.

I will have one in January.

PB234
12-07-2016, 08:03 PM
The MDT chassis should be outstanding and all the better that I can ask you how it went before committing to spending the money.

NoAngel
12-07-2016, 08:57 PM
I bought the Ranch carbine in 223 a year or so ago. I wanted a nice suppressor host and was sick and tired of cleaning my AR.
I have been astounded at how accurate it is. It wears a YHM Ti Phantom and I've run 45g up to 75g through the 8 twist barrel. It shoots well with about everything. I shot a lot of heavier stuff when I first got it. 62, 69 & 75g bullets BUT amazingly, the best shooting load so far has been a 52g Sierra HPBT match over 22.0g of AA Lt-32. It'll put 5 of those under a 1/2" at 100 if I can manage to hold it still.

PB234
12-07-2016, 09:48 PM
If one is looking for a shorter length of pull on the Ruger American Ranch could one take a Ruger American Compact stock and use it on the Ruger American Ranch? The other obvious way to to go to Boyd's and get it custom sized, but that means a heavier stock although more solid than plastic.

Texas by God
12-07-2016, 10:02 PM
If one is looking for a shorter length of pull on the Ruger American Ranch could one take a Ruger American Compact stock and use it on the Ruger American Ranch? The other obvious way to to go to Boyd's and get it custom sized, but that means a heavier stock although more solid than plastic.
Yes the compact stock will fit the regular rifle with the same action length.

liliysdad
12-07-2016, 10:14 PM
When I ordered mine, I ordered the Compact Ranch, which comes with the shorter LOP.

mcdaniel.mac
12-08-2016, 02:55 AM
I walked out with that .300 blackout Ranch today. Tossed the busted scope rings in the garbage and it now wears a Leupold 2-7x33 on Warne rings.

PB234
12-08-2016, 07:45 AM
A Leupold 2-7x33 on Warne rings with the shorter LOP stock (no longer catalogued for the Ranch meaning an additional purchase) looks about a perfect tool one is not scared of scratching or using. Some fellows make a bigger replacement bolt handle which looks like a fun splurge.

Now the hard point. I want a 300 Blackout, but the 223 is really offered cheap and a Blackout means another round to buy stuff for. Been searching for a small light very accurate versatile carbine for a long time. Even read a bunch of posts where folks are shooting accurate light loads in 300 Blackout at 50 yards which is a large part of what I want it to do.

I just became a Ruger fan. Time to look at molds for 50/100 yard paper targets. Accurate and nice round visible wadcutter type holes desired.

1Hawkeye
12-08-2016, 09:46 AM
After I got mine I asked magpul if they have any plans to make a stock for the American series like they do for the REM 700. That a ranch set up with a 20 round p-mag would be a great little rig for checking the fence lines.

liliysdad
12-08-2016, 12:13 PM
You cannot just slap a stock on the Ruger and run AR Mags, just like you cant on a 700, or most any other boltgun platform. The Mossberg MVP is different, and they made it function using some pretty janky methods.

The AICS pattern mags really are the best choice for a boltgun.

mcdaniel.mac
12-08-2016, 12:14 PM
After I got mine I asked magpul if they have any plans to make a stock for the American series like they do for the REM 700. That a ranch set up with a 20 round p-mag would be a great little rig for checking the fence lines.
The M700 stock uses AICS mags.

Four Fingers of Death
12-16-2016, 07:27 PM
Not a Ranch Rifle, but pretty much the same thing, I have an American Compact in 223. Amazingly accurate, 1/2" groups with quality ammo. I never noticed any problems with the stock, but I'm not that fussy. I love how small it is and it fits in the drawers at the back of my 4wd wagon.

Para82
12-28-2016, 06:59 PM
I have a Ruger Ranch in 5.56 and a Ruger Predator in .223. Haven't really wrung either one out yet but the Ranch so far is a tack driver with PMC 55gr ammo. Both good value for the money.

lawboy
01-03-2017, 12:54 AM
I put my RARR 5.56 into an MDT LSS and the magazines would not feed worth snot. They took it back for a full refund. Said they had not done a complete R & D on the short action cartridges and just modeled the chassis off their 308 version. No thank you!

Four Fingers of Death
01-03-2017, 01:05 AM
I just noticed the big gunstore in the State north of her advertising Ruger American Ranch (might have been a Predator) rifles in 450Bushmaster. I dread to think how expensive the brass would be in Australia. Strangely enough, a 0.452 bore which makes sense, it would be most suited to pistol bullets I'm thinking.

liliysdad
01-03-2017, 07:57 AM
I put my RARR 5.56 into an MDT LSS and the magazines would not feed worth snot. They took it back for a full refund. Said they had not done a complete R & D on the short action cartridges and just modeled the chassis off their 308 version. No thank you!

Did you try AI mags, or only the MDT mags? Chassis systems often require a bit of tinkering....its simply the nature of the beast. You are changing the stock, the mag system, and everything in between. Odds are quite good something is going to be a little off.