PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Handbook

buckwheatpaul
12-04-2016, 11:49 AM
I have not purchased a reloading manual in quite a few years....the last Lyman Reloading Manual was the 45th edition and we all know how long ago that was!

I have been reviewing this manual the last few days and I am impressed with it. It is thorough and well organized. Many old obsolete cartridges are still listed and the sections dealing with reloading and casting are good. I like the way that there are a lot of color pictures to supplement the print and the cartridge sections are big and easy to read.

Please feel free to add your 2 cents worth.....I like the input and hope that it will help others that are just starting or those that have been inactive for a while.....Paul :Fire:

dragon813gt
12-04-2016, 12:05 PM
I was reminded instantly why I don't like their manuals. There a ridiculous amount of warnings in it. One warning at the front is all that's needed to cover them legally. I found the first error at something like page 9. Found a few more as I went through it.

What really ticked me off was that the statement that no reloader needed more than 10k primers on hand. They say this because of the NFPA's guidelines. But a statement like that isn't warranted IMO.

Then there are the statements about brass life and when they should be tossed. I obviously don't agree w/ this or I wouldn't have mentioned it. There is a bunch more but there's no point in listing them all. I don't like the instructional parts in any of their manuals. It's always been this way and I don't see it changing.

The good thing is that I don't buy manuals for the instructions. I buy them for the load data. I will continue to buy their manuals for this data. Thankfully there are other ways to learn how to reload.

runfiverun
12-04-2016, 12:21 PM
they pretty much have to put the warnings in.
I'm surprised they don't put more in.
this isn't the old days where you assumed responsibility for your own actions.

kmw1954
12-04-2016, 12:47 PM
If I look hard enough I'm certain I can find something I dislike about anything, everything and everybody but what's the point. It's there you just need to look for it.

dragon813gt
12-04-2016, 12:50 PM
they pretty much have to put the warnings in.
I'm surprised they don't put more in.
this isn't the old days where you assumed responsibility for your own actions.

All those warnings aren't going to keep them out of court. They will have to defend their position regardless. You don't need a warning every other paragraph. They could have a out a warning on every page in the header and footer.

Yodogsandman
12-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Perhaps those warnings are there to prevent new reloaders from getting into trouble. They may be just starting out and have no other influences to help them out.

trebor44
12-04-2016, 12:59 PM
All those warnings aren't going to keep them out of court. They will have to defend their position regardless. You don't need a warning every other paragraph. They could have a out a warning on every page in the header and footer.

A reloading manual is like a cookbook. The recipes are there for you to start with, you can modify them to your liking as long as you accept the responsibility for your actions! If you don't like the recipe don't use it. If you are new to the game it is better to be 'cautioned' then to say 'go for it'. Since there are lots of variables in everything, no one guideline can cover all situations just most of them.

Recluse
12-04-2016, 01:14 PM
Perhaps those warnings are there to prevent new reloaders from getting into trouble. They may be just starting out and have no other influences to help them out.

You have three categories of reloaders:

1. The reloader who learned by being mentored by an experienced, careful reloader who emphasized the safety aspect of reloading.

2. The reloader who learned from reloading manuals and who paid credence to the warnings and admonishments about safety.

3. The reloader who learned from YouTube videos made by Darwin Award contestants.

Being how ambulance chasing lawyers continue to spawn faster than professional victims in this country, it is no wonder that Lyman (and others) have to inundate their manuals with endless series of warnings. And while it will not keep them out of court, it does offer up a first line of defense against being liable for some Darwin Award contestant's lawsuit because he filled up his Sig .357 cartridge with Titewad and packed a small pistol primer in there as well "just for a little extra punch" while using a table vice to add that "final bit of crimp" on the shell.

Haven't seen the manual yet, but will in a few days as it is en route from Midway along with a box of other stocking stuffers for myself.

:coffee:

mold maker
12-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Like the preference to our political, and Religious section, If you're offended/annoyed by the warnings stay out.
Without the warnings, you wouldn't have a reference to look at.
We take for granted that we are the only one reading it and assume everyone already knows all the safety issues.
Be happy for the info you need and tolerate the rest. After all where else do you find this many cast loads listed?
I have 11 Lyman Manuels among my reloading library of 44 and refer to them all constantly.
You can't compare if you don't have them on hand.

Bzcraig
12-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Recluse it is Good to see you!!!

root
12-04-2016, 04:00 PM
I'm #2 in the above.
Started with nothing but a G17 I couldn't afford to shoot in 1992

Bought a 47th edition from the dealer that sold me the G17
Gun dealer recommended a Dillion 550B and sold me my 1st 9mm mold, and a forster case trimmer when I mentioned I wanted to load up 30-06..

It's been all down hill from there.

Anyone who reloads to "save" is lying to their wife! LOL

"WARNING"
the above text will waste 6-10 seconds of your life

Rich

slim1836
12-04-2016, 04:29 PM
I had no mentor when I started reloading, read everything I could get my hands on, looked online in many places including You Tube. I made my own decisions on which way to go and did it safely.

I am thankful to this site for all I learned about boolit casting and reloading cast projectiles, it's been my main source for several years.
I've saved no money by reloading and casting as of yet, but hope to eventually.:drinks:

Slim

Geezer in NH
12-04-2016, 07:12 PM
:popcorn:

kmw1954
12-04-2016, 07:44 PM
PISTACHIOS, they're Better.

Wayne Smith
12-04-2016, 08:53 PM
Wow! Things have changed. I started in 1969 with two Lee Loaders, one for my Dad's 30-30 and one for my 16ga. single shot. Some data came from Lee, some from a Speer manual. I read Guns And Ammo. Once I "grew up" (I was in Grad School!) I discovered Sierra Bullets was just up the street from our apartment in Whittier, CA. Started buying bags of their seconds and their manual. Still have it,now I think the 17th? Graduated from the Lee Loaders to an RCBS Jr. and now too many presses. I never imagined anyone else but me was responsible for what I built - and learned caution in the process.

Of course, before that I was making my own BP and blowing things up - we lived in the country and Dad, as a teenager, worked "moving" rocks in Maine with blasting powder. He knew what I was doing, kept up, and supervised.

kingstrider
12-04-2016, 08:58 PM
I love my Lyman manuals and come back to them all the time.

Plate plinker
12-04-2016, 09:28 PM
Well I don't care how many warning s they insert it is cheaper insurance for them than lawyers. I too only reference the load data, then check it against my other two primary books.

swheeler
12-04-2016, 10:15 PM
I got one for my birthday in October and like it a lot and could care less about all the warnings. Nice to have hardbound book instead of paperback.

Harter66
12-04-2016, 10:46 PM
I haven't dug to much in the book .
A couple of cartridges that include no cast data was disappointing .

Of course that's just a cursory peek at a few cartridges that I haven't worn the pages out in 47 & 48 .

CASTER OF LEAD
12-05-2016, 01:01 AM
Anyone who reloads to "save" is lying to their wife! LOL

"WARNING"
the above text will waste 6-10 seconds of your life

Rich[/QUOTE]

Now there is a warning! Lol

dragon813gt
12-05-2016, 09:54 AM
You can save money reloading. But most of us shoot more for the same amount. One could easily buy a Lee Loader and have at it. But tooling can be an addiction like anything else.

kmw1954
12-05-2016, 10:57 AM
I have 2 old books tat should probably be updated for some of the newer powders.

I hand load again as I enjoy the process and it also gives me something to do now that I'm not working any more. Hoping to get into casting if I can find a ready supply of lead.

mold maker
12-05-2016, 11:15 AM
I have 2 old books tat should probably be updated for some of the newer powders.

I hand load again as I enjoy the process and it also gives me something to do now that I'm not working any more. Hoping to get into casting if I can find a ready supply of lead.

Retirement does offer more time for reloading, at least for a short time. 9 years now and no time for anything. Establish your priorities soon, you'll soon wonder how you had time to work and keep up with life.
As far as a steady supply of lead, I find it harder and harder, but if your diligent, it's still out there.
Good luck with both endeavors.

NavyVet1959
12-05-2016, 11:23 AM
I have to wonder if once I factor in beer consumption, my ammo is perhaps more expensive than commercial ammo. :)

But I try to discount it by saying that if it wasn't for reloading, I would be doing something else that I also ended up drinking beer while doing. :)

kmw1954
12-05-2016, 11:32 AM
Retirement does offer more time for reloading, at least for a short time. 9 years now and no time for anything. Establish your priorities soon, you'll soon wonder how you had time to work and keep up with life.

This was a forced retirement because of problems with my legs and loss of mobility. This was the first year in my adult life that I didn't purchase a fishing license or have the boat out.
I do have a nice bench set up where I can sit and work comfortably. Every thing within easy reach. Can listen to my favorite music and watch out the window all from my bench. I find it very relaxing. Can also just move over to the other desk and BS with all you fine people here at Cast Boolits!

sparky45
12-05-2016, 11:41 AM
+1 on hearing from you again Recluse. What book are you writing now?

Recluse it is Good to see you!!!

Teddy (punchie)
12-05-2016, 11:52 AM
Lyman always on the side of being safe. Data is good enough to pay for the manual.

Older Pacific are some of the best. Like to read about the history of the casings and see where they are now.

lightman
12-06-2016, 10:44 AM
A Lyman 50th is one of the things I put on a list for my Wife's Christmas shopping. I'm kinda hard to shop for, as I tend to buy the things that I want. Yeah, the warnings are kinda silly but they probably feel that they are necessary. Look at all of the warnings on ATV's or step ladders. The faint of heart would never us one after reading all of the warning labels!

trapper9260
12-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Years ago when I got into reload rifle and handgun there was only the book to go by. and Lyman was the one I started from.Also for casting.I also learn like my dad to reload shotgun from the Lyman shotgun one also. then I went from there and also since I got on here I learning more.Thank you all.

starmac
12-06-2016, 03:11 PM
I have a fair collection of manuals many of which are lyman.

I have to ask, which other manual has as much cast info??
Any other company offer a cast only manual?
I do not see a need for it, but since my wife always insist I need a christmas present, I think I will steer her towards the 50th hard back version, just because.

root
12-06-2016, 05:07 PM
I have a fair collection of manuals many of which are lyman.

Any other company offer a cast only manual?

Me too
And yes RCBS offers a hardback called "CAST BULLET MANUAL"
I have Number 1 Don't know if there are other editions I bought this one new in the shrink wrap at a gunshow for 5 bux.
it's dated 1986 I bought it in the mid 90's so it sat for a while.

Rich

starmac
12-06-2016, 06:04 PM
Me too
I have Number 1 Don't know if there are other editions I bought this one new in the shrink wrap at a gunshow for 5 bux.

Rich

LOL. I totally spaced the rcbs and I have it. lol

fatelk
12-06-2016, 06:32 PM
I have it and generally like it. One thing that I wondered about was some .45acp data. I was recently working up a load using Unique and some 452374 225gr bullets, iirc. As I recall I stopped at 6.0 grains as it was a stiff load that clocked about 900 fps, but the book gave 7.2 grains as max! I wondered if that could have been a misprint.

NavyVet1959
12-06-2016, 10:02 PM
I have it and generally like it. One thing that I wondered about was some .45acp data. I was recently working up a load using Unique and some 452374 225gr bullets, iirc. As I recall I stopped at 6.0 grains as it was a stiff load that clocked about 900 fps, but the book gave 7.2 grains as max! I wondered if that could have been a misprint.

Well, Alliant's web page says that there's a 230 gr Speer CPRN loading for 7.3 gr of Unique with a 1.26" OAL. They quote it at 966 fps.

fatelk
12-07-2016, 12:29 AM
Oops, I got home and realized that I have the 49th edition, not the 50th. I got it new just a few months ago, forgot which one it was.

It lists a max charge of 7.3 gr. of Unique for the 452374 for a velocity of 905 fps. I was getting about that with 6.1 gr. of Unique behind the exact same bullet. I can't imagine using over a grain more. Yes, I know all guns are different; different barrels, brass, primers, etc.. It just surprised me that there was that big of a difference. A guy sure has to be careful.

alamogunr
12-07-2016, 01:13 AM
Me too

Rich

To find one now, I imagine you would have to go to Ebay or the used book sites. There has never been a #2 to my knowledge.

Harter66
12-07-2016, 09:17 AM
Oops, I got home and realized that I have the 49th edition, not the 50th. I got it new just a few months ago, forgot which one it was.

It lists a max charge of 7.3 gr. of Unique for the 452374 for a velocity of 905 fps. I was getting about that with 6.1 gr. of Unique behind the exact same bullet. I can't imagine using over a grain more. Yes, I know all guns are different; different barrels, brass, primers, etc.. It just surprised me that there was that big of a difference. A guy sure has to be careful.

Can you imagine ?
I had a 1917 that did 900 fps on 5.5 with 454424 . Because every one is special.

fatelk
12-07-2016, 04:16 PM
Me too

Rich

I have one of those too. I think I paid $3 at a gun show ten or fifteen years ago. The guy had a whole box full of them as I recall, all brand new.

Recluse
12-07-2016, 11:51 PM
+1 on hearing from you again Recluse. What book are you writing now?

Thanks.

Working on Oaths & Lies at present, along with outlining on another. Getting ready to go into that hibernation thing again while focusing on the writing.

Recluse
12-08-2016, 09:22 PM
Got the manual in today and browsed through it. Awful lot of yellow "CAUTION!" headers in it--seems like they're in front of literally each new section/subject in every single chapter of the "how to" stuff.

Skipped past most of that, though, and went straight to the data. Good stuff in there.

Down South
12-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Another good to see you around again Recluse.....

I came from a small community and I knew two guys that reloaded. They reloaded for their rifles. I reloaded with them for a season then bought my own equipment, a Rockchucker and a few case prep tools.
My first manual was a Speer #9 the latest at the time, actually it was hot off the press. The year it published was the year after I started reloading with my two buddies. If I remember 74 was the publish date. I started reloading in 73.
I do believe I pretty much wore that manual out. I still have it and use it for comparison but the hard cover is in bad shape.
I have a number of manuals up to the latest Lyman. I mostly use them now for the charge tables. And since ole Al invented the internet, I go to the powder manufactures web site and look at the load data there.
When I am working on a new load which is seldom now. I'll break out at least three manuals and start comparing load data for the load that I am working with.
It does appear the manuals are going more lawyer friendly comparing powder charges listed 40+ yrs ago all the way up to current manuals.
I'm also aware that some powders have changed some through the years as well so I do pay closer attention to the load data in the newer manuals to start working up a load.

wingspar
12-09-2016, 10:56 PM
I just looked in my 50th Edition Manual today for the Sharps 25-45. It is Not in the 50th Edition, and I know the cartridge has been around for a while. I thought the Lyman Manuals had it all. I don’t own a 25-45, but it’s an interesting cartridge, and it’s one I’d want to reload for if I bought one.

“WARNING”! Reloading is addictive.

Harter66
12-10-2016, 06:23 PM
It took a full additional cycle to get the 6.8 SPC in it and even in the 50th the data is sorely lacking with zip for cast .

root
12-11-2016, 07:18 PM
Well I ordered it like others.
I could care less about the warnings.
I just don't want to be let down like others say they have been.

By that I mean like others I collect the data compare it, yada, yada, yada.

But ya I find it here on the net. in old books, Once in a while a old timer will tell me a load right off the top of his head. ( I write it down)
It never hurts to have more info as long as you don't go information overload.
I even have a bunch of those old Hodgdon pamphlets that used to be free in the gun shops up at the counter back in the day.

I'm just hoping I didn't waste 20 bux on the book after shipping to be disappointed that I wasted the money.

Then again I was WARNED!
Rich

The_Hammer
12-13-2016, 10:11 PM
I'm in need of a new reloading manual and was thinking about getting the Lyman but now I'm not so sure.

starmac
12-15-2016, 12:19 AM
I'm in need of a new reloading manual and was thinking about getting the Lyman but now I'm not so sure.

I would not hesitate on the Lyman if I needed a manual, heck I don't need one and will probably get it anyway.
All the new manuals are going to have warnings, it is what it is these days.
All new manuals are going to be missing data on some of the older calibers that are not so popular, lyman probably has as many or even more as any other.
Lyman probably has more on cast as any new manual.

shdwlkr
12-15-2016, 02:14 PM
I have several manuals some newer many older, you can never have to many manuals. One thing to keep in mind is no one manual has everything or every possible load contained in it.
As the 50th lyman it is and ok manual and is inline with most of the calibers currently used so in that respect it is a good first manual, yes many of the lesser calibers are gone, but when you think about just how many really reload some of the old calibers?
If you are just starting out lyman is as good as any to be your first but don't let it be your only manual as there is a lot to learn, understand and also to choose from. Old manuals are great information sources and sometimes the only place you can find old caliber data that some times you have to convert to new powders even. reloading is fun, it is educational and most of all it is experimental even when using data exactly from the manual as no two firearms act the same with the same powder, primer, case and bullet each is unique to its self and you have to learn that and accept that and enjoy it and work with your firearm to accomplish the best for that firearm.

kenyerian
12-15-2016, 02:41 PM
I just ordered it from amazon. Don't really need it but will add it to the collection.

DRat-TN
12-15-2016, 02:56 PM
I enjoy my Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Handbook (2008) and will probably get this one too.

Javater
12-15-2016, 03:32 PM
Any of these Reloading Manuals include Load data for PC bullets?

starmac
12-15-2016, 04:44 PM

I honestly doubt it.

NavyVet1959
12-15-2016, 07:23 PM

LMAO!

There's too much variation depending upon the method used to PC plus individual technique for this to happen. If there was a commercial vendor that gained a huge market share with PC bullets and their coatings were uniform and repeatale, then *perhaps* they might get included, but the data would only be applicable to that particular company's products.

Jr.
12-15-2016, 07:39 PM
Thanks.

Working on Oaths & Lies at present,

So how do I get on the waiting list.

I haven't picked up this manual but have found good information in the Lyman manuals of the past.

jonp
12-16-2016, 08:32 PM
I bought one when it came out and find it very good. Easy to read, tables easy to see etc...

I one of those guys that started on my own with a Lee Loader, Lyman Manual, some boolits and primers/powder. Read the front of the lymans over and over and went to work. First round I loaded I admit I kinda squinted when I pulled the trigger but laughed and laughed when it worked. I still keep a Lee Loader in every caliber I own with a plastic mallet at my hunting camp. fits in a pocket and is easy to use.