PDA

View Full Version : New Sizer and a question?

AzShooter
06-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Got a Lyman 450 from Ebay today and everything was like brand new including the instruction sheet. Glad that was in there because I originally thought a part was missing. Now all I need is some lube. Order it from LsStuff.

BTW should I bother running LEE micro lube bullets through the sizer or just shoot them as cast with Liquid Xlox?

DLCTEX
06-18-2008, 07:30 PM
You can do the Lee tumble lube boolits either way. DALE

AzShooter
06-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks.

Buckshot
06-18-2008, 11:57 PM
................Sizing can be a necessary evil, like putting horseshoes on horses. Sizing does no harm if the machine is in good shape (alignment) for modest sizing, or it can blow your accuracy out the window if it's worn out or if you try to size too much. If your boolits are dropping at the desired OD, a lube-sizer is just a good way to get lube into the grooves. Use a die a thousandth larger then your boolit.

Should you need to reduce a slugs' OD a couple thousandths, trying to accomplish it in the lube-sizer does the machine and your boolit no good. Best to lube it in a lube die a thousandth larger, then run it up through a Lee type push through die of the desired ID.

...............Buckshot

AzShooter
06-19-2008, 06:26 PM
I got the urge today and sized 125 of my newly cast 158 grain RN. They all went through the sizer nice and easy and I lubed them with Lee LA. I then tried to size the wadcutters I've been using and realized they really needed the sizing. Many were very had to push through the .358 sizer. A friend had given me two coffee cans full so I'm going to size them and shoot them.

Before I tried to shoot without resizing and wasn't too pleased. Now I know that was a mistake.

That little Lee sizer works like a charm. Now I have a 450 I may never use unless I get more dies with larger sizing bands than the micro lube.