PDA

View Full Version : Death of Wheel Weights

EDG
06-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Another bad sign for wheel wight users. I just bought a new set of Michelins for my car.
One of the tires required a half gram weight, one a quarter gram weight and two required no weights to balance. Take a look at a half gram weight. It is not worth the gas to melt the clip out of it.

Morgan Astorbilt
06-18-2008, 07:28 PM
EDGE,
I think you must mean ounces, not grams. There are 28.4 grams to the ounce. 1/2 gram = 0.0176368 ounces. Still, if all tires are that good, there won't be much need for lead WW's.
Morgan

DeanoBeanCounter
06-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Don't loose hope yet. Michelin has balanced like that all along. I don't know if any of the other brands are that good.
Dean
:mrgreen:

The_Montanan
06-18-2008, 07:58 PM
What I bought locally years ago for $10.00 a 7 gal bucket is now $50.00

This sucks

uncle joe
06-18-2008, 08:32 PM
I scored today, at lunch I asked a carpenter friend if he ever comes across lead from flashing or other such means. He told me not much, but a common friend had wheel weights. He said that someone had just offered the guy 80 bucks for a 5 gal bucket of them but wanted him to seperate them out into sizes for him??
didn't understand that part, but just so happens the guy with the wheel weights is a friend also (been meaning to call and ask if he had any).
My point is how much are people paying for old wheel weights? I have about 150-200 pounds smelted, but with the upcomming election I think I need to stock up. I am just before going to another friend at a scrap yard and asking how much they get for them.
ps my bud only gave me a dutch oven full of ww, guess he's holding out for someone to offer more. :-D

Tom W.
06-18-2008, 09:18 PM
I had my car serviced today and asked if they had any wheel weights they wouldn't mind parting with. I didn't get but maybe 20 pounds, but it's seed for my next venture... and they were free!

jim4065
06-19-2008, 09:39 PM
My scrap dealer is selling ww's for .70 per lb, but buying for .30 per lb. Looks like enough difference to place an ad? Gotta figure you could buy a lot of ww's at .50 - but it would take a lot to cover the ad. Has anyone tried this?