PDA

View Full Version : Big Lead and Dead Deer This Week

ChristopherO
12-02-2016, 05:55 PM
No picture on this one but the 45/70 barked this morning and a tender doe fell after a quick dash that left a steady red trail. Having been restricted to slug guns until a few seasons ago in Ohio I am pleased to be able to finally use a rifle instead of the bulky 12 gauge. This is the second white tail that the Marlin 1895CB has taken in as many years using 405 grain **** boolits that I've cast. She was dead on her feet but needed about 70 yards to find that out.
Both style of weapons work about the same as my son shot a medium sized doe on Tuesday evening with the Mossburg 835 that dropped her like a sack of potatoes. Didn't hurt that the lightfield slug annihilated her scapula completely. Big slow slugs do the job well, whether the deer or DRT or DOTR (Dead on the Run), they are dead enough.

May need to see if tag number 2 can be filled this weekend. Hope you all are enjoying a productive season.

CITYREPO61
12-02-2016, 08:40 PM
Congrats and good luck this weekend

44man
12-03-2016, 09:14 AM
I only used a shotgun in Ohio a few times, mostly used my flint lock. Could not use a revolver but could use a rifle for squirrels and small game, varmints.
The year I had to move, they allowed revolvers and now some rifles. Good to see that and nice going with a good doe.