PDA

View Full Version : Ambient air temp when you cast

Bob in St. Louis
12-02-2016, 01:53 PM
Hey fellas,

I've got some (rare) free time coming up this weekend and thought I'd like to spend it out in the garage casting some Lee 1oz slugs in the Lee 20 pound pot. The temps are forecast to be in the mid 40's though.
To add to that, this will be the second time I've ever cast. Is this too cold?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

HeavyHev
12-02-2016, 02:01 PM
Short answer: Nope.
Long answer: Not really.

JWT
12-02-2016, 02:03 PM
I've cast down into the low 20's. As long as you have a hotplate to warm the mold initially and cast quick enough to keep it hot you should be fine. The hard part is keeping yourself warm enough.

Bob in St. Louis
12-02-2016, 02:12 PM
That's classic!

Ok then. Sounds like I'll have to find an indoor activity. Thanks fellas!

Toymaker
12-02-2016, 02:26 PM
As long as there's no wind, a breeze is ok, that's a good temperature for casting. It will make you keep up your tempo and you can learn a lot about your process. As JWT says, having a hot plate to pre-heat your mold is helpful but not essential. Do it. If nothing else accept it as a learning experience.

HeavyHev
12-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Ok then. Sounds like I'll have to find an indoor activity.
I think you misunderstood my post. I was directly replying to your question which was "Is this too cold?". Its completely kosher to cast in the cold. The only thing I do different is wear thicker socks and I have cast outside when it was cold as Bill and Hillary's sex life.

paul h
12-02-2016, 02:48 PM
So long as the leads molten and you get your mold up to temp, no problem. It's more an issue of how comfortable you are. I rarely kick the heater on in my garage and have no doubt I've cast when it's in the 40's in the garage. No big deal other than wearing a jacket.

country gent
12-02-2016, 03:01 PM
I have found ambient temp has only a little effect on the casting itself. You may need to adjust the thermostat a little higher or lower to compensate for it, let your lead thermometer be your guide. run the same temp as you normally do on the pot. Pre heat the mould and cast at the needed pace to keep it warm. Ambient temp does affect the operator more so, Sitting around a 700* pot in 40 degree temps can be pretty comfortable while 100* temps just drain the energy right oput of you. On my big 100lb dipper pot and 40* temps it is shirt sleeves casting due to the radiant heat given off the pot and burner.

JSnover
12-02-2016, 03:02 PM
I learned to cast in the summer and it was touch-and-go. Then the weather cooled off and it seemed like all of my problems disappeared.

s mac
12-02-2016, 03:04 PM
At 40 you probably won't be dripping sweat off your forehead, a good thing in my book.

fredj338
12-02-2016, 03:49 PM
I cast in the garage, 40-110 deg, I prefer 40. The uninsulated Lee will cycle my PID more often when cold but works fine.

dragon813gt
12-02-2016, 04:57 PM
It's not until it drops below twenty that you might have problems. At that point I've found I have turn the pot temperature up. I cast everyday this week and the temp ranged from the high fifties to low forties this morning. I prefer these temps to hotter or colder.

Bob in St. Louis
12-02-2016, 05:02 PM
Well then, it sounds like I might be back in business. I did get a thorough lengthy PM about the issues with condensation that would be something to be aware of. Very good information, thank you all!

I think you misunderstood my post. I was directly replying to your question which was "Is this too cold?". Its completely kosher to cast in the cold. The only thing I do different is wear thicker socks and I have cast outside when it was cold as Bill and Hillary's sex life.
Ahh yes, "sarcasm"... sometimes doesn't come through on the internet. Yes indeed. Thank you for the clarification Sir, now I understand. Good to see sarcasm is alive and well, my fault for not catching it. ;)

big bore 99
12-02-2016, 05:08 PM
40's is perfect.

Yodogsandman
12-02-2016, 06:06 PM
I've cast in temperature down to about 0*F, just cast faster. It does take longer to heat up the mold though. No problem if you heat it up on a hot plate.

It was 43*F today when I cast up a pot load! Needed a light coat and ball cap after about 10 minutes.

6bg6ga
12-02-2016, 06:27 PM
I don't cast when the temp takes a dive. I guess I don't enjoy spending money for new heating elements. To each his own.

Yodogsandman
12-02-2016, 08:28 PM
The electricity freezes up?:kidding::kidding:

runfiverun
12-02-2016, 08:38 PM
40's?
I wish.

Josh Smith
12-02-2016, 09:40 PM
I consider this weather to be casting weather.

Josh

MarkP
12-02-2016, 10:21 PM
I have cast near 0 F; had a thin film of ice forming in my quench water. Most of my NOE molds are drilled for the temp probe, I could still maintain mold temp.

Southern Son
12-03-2016, 06:09 AM
I wish I had the 40 degrees that your guys have. Like others have said, thicker sox and cast faster to keep mould temperature up. My 40 degrees sux.

bullseye67
12-03-2016, 06:53 AM
Good morning, I have been casting in the winter for 30+ years. I have also melted WW into ingots, when the temperature is around freezing. I used to quench the rifle boolits in a bucket of snow, by the time I had 10 pounds cast up it was just cold water! Now I have a warm garage to cast in, I keep it about 50 in the winter. I still pre heat the ingots before adding to the pot. The cold ingots will create a "tinsel fairy" with condensation. The best investment all casters can make is a cheap heat source, some use the burner from a coffee pot or I use a single burner from Walmart $5.00 on sale. I put a old skill saw blade on top of the coils and stack up the ingots and there's still room for a couple of molds. Happy casting.....YMMV.....

Walter Laich
12-03-2016, 10:07 AM
As I have aged my comfort zone has continued to narrow.

Part of the reason I cast is for enjoyment and for me 40º is a bit too low for me

just saying....

Bob in St. Louis
12-03-2016, 01:19 PM
Alright, good deal. Looks like I'm back in business. I'm battling my first round of gout, so I'm thinking the cold concrete floor is just the ticket for my foot. This ailment is the reason I've now got some unexpected free time on my hands, or else I'd be performing some menial task that requires the use of both feet and being mobile.
This way, I'll not only feel like I've done something productive, I'll be doing something I consider "fun".

JohnH
12-03-2016, 04:49 PM
Best weather I've found for casting is a mid sixties to seventy drizzling day, not a hard down pour but a drizzle to light rain at cooler temps. Have no idea why this is, but do a search and you'll find others with the same experience.

ascast
12-03-2016, 05:59 PM

ha ha

you might want a big box around the whole mess if it gets drafty

Bob in St. Louis
12-04-2016, 09:42 AM
^^ Thanks for the confirmation, I was thinking about using a box as a "back stop" to shield the wind.

Morgan61
12-04-2016, 10:48 AM
I spent yesterday afternoon casting boolits in my unheated garage and it was 31 degrees outside.
I actually prefer casting in the cold. Makes it comfortable to wear heavy clothing to protect against lead splatter.

Bob in St. Louis
12-04-2016, 11:21 AM
Just for clarification....you fellas talking about "casting in the garage"... you're talking about having the door open for ventilation, correct?

sundog
12-04-2016, 11:51 AM
Best weather I've found for casting is a mid sixties to seventy drizzling day, not a hard down pour but a drizzle to light rain at cooler temps. Have no idea why this is, but do a search and you'll find others with the same experience.

Here's the explanation from Felix - see 8th post down. Yeah, it's the real deal.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-173606.html

runfiverun
12-04-2016, 12:47 PM
it is.
I try to replicate the higher humidity when I cast.
it's not that easy to get the humidity up near 50% around here but I keep a gauge in the garage so I can keep an eye on it.

when I cast in the garage [which is every time I cast] the door is not open.
I closed off my garage door long ago and put a window in.
washing and a little vacuuming keeps things in good shape and my lead level is low.

Morgan61
12-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Just for clarification....you fellas talking about "casting in the garage"... you're talking about having the door open for ventilation, correct?

Yep. I open the window, side door and crack the main door a few inches.

Bob in St. Louis
12-04-2016, 10:10 PM
Well, it was a great evening. I didn't get nearly the time I was hoping for (life managed to intervene), but I did get my second cast in.
Second, as in "the second one I've ever done".
I managed to get 6.2 pounds of one ounce Lee slugs cast, which equals about 100 slugs.
I've got some problems, issues and questions with the mould, but that's a topic for another thread.
I'd like to give a personal "Thank you", to each and every one of you that posted, including the wonderful conversation I've had via PM regarding my original query.
It was 40 degrees and near zero breeze, which turned out to be perfect for sitting in front of a molten pot of lead. haha!

Thank you all very much!
Bob

Bob in St. Louis
12-04-2016, 10:20 PM
Here's the fruit of my labor.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k60/BobinStLouis/Weapons/Reloading/DSC_0063_zpsmmx0truo.jpg (http://s85.photobucket.com/user/BobinStLouis/media/Weapons/Reloading/DSC_0063_zpsmmx0truo.jpg.html)

HeavyHev
12-05-2016, 11:12 AM
Looks good man. All these other guys are going to tell you to close you mold all the way when casting but they are just dumb. I am with you, I leave a little crack in my mold when I cast to give me those amazing fins. Keep up the good work and remember that fully closed molds are for weak willed men and communists.

Bob in St. Louis
12-05-2016, 11:21 AM
haha!!
Yea, it's warped and I have to squeeze it like my life depends on it to get it to close.
I've bent on it, and it's fine for a few casts, but then slowly comes back to that?!?!
I'm tapping with a rubber mallet on the main hinge bolt, so it's not like I'm wailing on the cast blocks.
Not sure why this happens. After about 20 casts, the lead just pours out the bottom. That's when I have to dig lead out from the entire thing. Such a frustrating mess.

HeavyHev
12-05-2016, 11:31 AM
BROTHER! I had that same problem. I fixed it by placing the mold in the middle of the largest body of water within a 1 hour drive. I let it sink to the bottom and got a new one online. 0 problems since then.

Bob in St. Louis
12-05-2016, 11:48 AM
The closest body of water I have is the creek on the other side of the street. I do believe that should suffice.
It's a shame since it's only the second time I've used it. Had the same problem the first time too.
For twenty bucks, I probably won't bother dealing with Lee on an exchange. The thing looks like it's been run over by a truck with all my scrape marks.

dragon813gt
12-05-2016, 12:53 PM
And that is why I no longer own any Lee molds. I got tired of making them work. The extra money for one from the custom makers is well worth it.

Bob in St. Louis
12-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Really, that bad huh?

HeavyHev
12-05-2016, 01:26 PM
I have 2 Lee molds that make some A+ projectiles. Just about everything I have for reloading is Lee and it makes some A+ bullets. I don't know what happened to your mold but it is not normal. Unless you are doing something grossly wrong, ditch your dud and get a new one and you will not be disappointed. Lee has improved all their molds recently and they are primo.

Bob in St. Louis
12-05-2016, 01:39 PM
Good to hear, thank you.

dragon813gt
12-05-2016, 02:44 PM
Really, that bad huh?

Yes, that bad. Their molds are one of the few products that I have nothing but bad things to say. It starts w/ hoping they don't drop undersize. Then you have to get them to work if they do. I had fifteen and sold all of them at the height of the Sandy Hook panic. I can't complain because I made a healthy profit on every mold.

My time is more valuable than money. I received a mold from NOE last Thursday. The only thing I do to their molds, besides cleaning, is to stone the sprue plate. This removes the residual burrs that are present. After that I cast 40#s of perfect bullets. And they jumped off the mold. W/ a MP mold it's literally clean and cast. The sprue plates are perfectly flat and burr free.

I'm not bashing Lee molds for no reason. I had a bunch and used them for years. I just got tired of the issues. They served me well and I turned a profit on them. But that was just dumb luck due to a tragedy. I somehow timed the market right.

Bob in St. Louis
12-05-2016, 04:58 PM
Understood, thank you for the information Dragon.