PDA

View Full Version : Lee Lube/Sizer vs Regular Lubrisizer

Fish_N_Russ
06-18-2008, 02:39 AM
Which is better.....using a Lee Lube/Sizer setup with LLA or a 'regular' Lubrisizer (lyman rcbs etc).

Right now I have a Lee setup, but I would rather use regular hard type lubes instead of LLA. So Im wondering if I should think of a lubrisizer.

Or can a person use a Lee sizer and then pan lube with regular hard lubes? Or does the LLA mix with the other lube and cause problems.....?

thanks
Russ

EMC45
06-18-2008, 05:45 AM
I have both. I got all the Lee ones for my pistol bullets. They work good and size great, but my process was pan lubing and was slow. I sized them and I tumbled them afterward with LLA. I now have a Lyman 4500 and run it with 50/50 BW and Moly grease. I then LLA and dry them I really think it helps!

curator
06-18-2008, 06:19 AM
With long rifle boolits I get better accuracy if I run them through the Lee die to size first then use either my Lyman 450 or RCBS Lubrisizer to lube and seat gaschecks. Most lube-sizers size base first, and a little out of line. Nose-first sizing with the Lee push through die keeps then concentric.

shotman
06-18-2008, 07:00 AM
i have found that the Lee tumble works better than any of the hard lube i use some moly in the lube a 44 mag at max loads will not lead a barrel. The other thing how does the hard lube work when the wax is not on the part that touches the barrel? shotman

Bass Ackward
06-18-2008, 07:37 AM
What works and what you need all depend on what and how you want to shoot.

In other words, you can learn to make anything work. But from a statistical basis, I still believe that the edge for:

1. More shots between cleanings
2. Flexible use with more bullet designs
3. Wider options on bullet mixes (hardness)
4. Higher heat and pressure possibilities
5. Wider operating range for the chance to develop accuracy

goes to what we think of as standard or conventional lubes. Now do they NEED to be applied with a lubrisizer? No. But you gotta be hard core or simply shoot very few rounds to enjoy panning or doing the finger routine.

So you just have some decisions to make based upon how you know that you want to shoot. And don't sweat it over the choice. My bet is that you will do it all if you live long enough no matter how strong your convictions are either way.

Junior1942
06-18-2008, 07:48 AM
When I discovered Lee Liquid Alox and Lee sizers, I stopped using my Lyman 450. It's now gathering dust in a closet. (And not for sale.)

45 2.1
06-18-2008, 08:29 AM
When I discovered Lee Liquid Alox and Lee sizers, I stopped using my Lyman 450. It's now gathering dust in a closet. (And not for sale.)

A man of his convictions would sell the 450....................

miestro_jerry
06-18-2008, 08:29 AM
I own a Star Sizer, a Lub A Matic and some of the Lee Sizer/Alox sets. I have been experimenting with the Lee stuff because I bought some Ranch Dog Molds and Michael of RD recommends the Lee system. For me some of the bullets done with the Lee stuff works great, but others I have not tried yet, I make my own lubes for the Star and still use if for some bullets, but I am will to try the Lee Sizer/Alox combination on other non TL bullets.

I tip that I was given was to use powdered Mica after you have used the Lee bullet sizer on the Alox covered bullets, this keeps the bullets from having the alox from having that greasey feeling and also keeps the Alox from rubbing off from the exposed surfaces of the bullets.

My Star Sizer and the Lube A Matic are not for sale.

Jerry.

kooz
06-18-2008, 09:31 AM
I used the LEE sizers and LLA to get me started and they worked fine, I have since bought a Star and it works much better for me. I guess it depends on a lot of factors such as how much you shoot and what type of bullets you will be working with. I mostly shoot single groove pistol bullets and the Star works great with this style of bullet, it is very fast and easy to use and easy to switch between calibers. It is fairly expensive to get set up initially, but if you shoot regularly I think it is the way to go. Good luck

Dave B
06-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Bullseye for Jr. I haven't used my Lyman in ages. LLA works great. It doesn't seem to matter what style grooves. I thin it about 30-40% so it gets in the grooves better. Since it's so easy, after I run them thru the Lee sizer,I lube them again with the thin lube. A very thin coat is all they need. I use WW lead in 8mm & 357 rifles and various pistols, sometime up to18-1900 fps. No leading.

kir_kenix
06-18-2008, 10:38 AM
I use LLA on all of my pistol fodder and some low velocity rifle rounds. I'm not really sure its any better for these applications, but it is much quicker and easier. I think (becasue I have never been able to prove much) that conventional lubing works better for the high velocity rounds. Also, you can't bump up the diameter of an undersized boolit with the Lee, so sometimes theres no way around using conventional.

David Wile
06-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Hey folks,

I first started with what I believe was a used Lyman 45 back around 1960, and it worked quite well. A few years later, Lyman came out with a newer design, and I think it was called the 450. I thought it was better than my old model, so I bought one. I have been using the same Lubrisizer ever since, and I never tried any other method. I can't speak for the other brands and methods, but the Lyman 450 had done stellar service for me for maybe close to forty years.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

ra_balke
06-18-2008, 10:07 PM
The older I get, and the smarter I get, the more I am inclined to hand lube my bullets, and seat an old lyman slip on gascheck on the bullet base.

If I want it to shoot stright,,,,
I don't size nothin..

azrednek
06-20-2008, 02:31 AM
Which is better.....using a Lee Lube/Sizer setup with LLA or a 'regular' Lubrisizer (lyman rcbs etc).thanks
Russ

I don't think there is a correct answer to your question. Both methods will work just fine. If you are like me and other casters you wont be satisfied until your try it both ways. My most accurate cast boolit load is a tumble lubed Lee 148gr wad cutter that never touches a sizing die. When I tried sizing and lubing with both my RCBS and Lee equipment I couldn't see any difference with either method on paper. After reading a suggestion, either here or another group to try them without any sizing and LLA I saw a significant improvement in accuracy. Not necessarily the same though with my larger caliber loads. Depending on the gun and load most shoot better when sized. My hot, gas checked 44 mag loads shoot best for me with hard lube. The milder 44 loads without any shoes I can't see any difference with either lube and I prefer to use the LLA and Lee equipment to do the sizing as it is quicker and allot easier to use.

Or can a person use a Lee sizer and then pan lube with regular hard lubes?

Yes, it will work just fine. I assume you will be pan lubing first then running them through the Lee sizer. I guess you could size them first then pan lube but pushing dry boolits through the die might be difficult. If I mis-understood and you intend to use LLA, size and then pan lube mixing the two lubes, it will work ok but it is over-kill and the excess lube will turn to smoke and the crud will turn your gun sticky. The chances of double lubing improving accuracy or slowing down barrel leading is slim.

Pan lubing with hard lubes like Red Rooster will wear your hands out real quick. It takes allot of pressure to cut them out. With the 50/50 NRA formula it isn't to bad especially if you can cut them out before the lube completely hardens. If you're going to pan lube with hard lubes try and cut them out before the lube completely hardens and it is still some what soft but thick enough to stick to the slug. The warm soft lube will cool and harden real fast on the boolit and in the grooves after it has been cut out of the pan.

trap shooter
09-23-2008, 05:34 PM
hello to all i am new on cast boolits i would like some help with lube recipe's i been reloading for 43 years i have never made lube what is best recipe to start with trap shooter

docone31
09-23-2008, 06:05 PM
With my lube, I use a modified Goatlips receipe, and Paul Mathews. I kinda play it by ear.
So far, with all my loads lubed with this, no issues. Almost boring to clean.
Undersizing the casting however, not the same. I did my .314 bore .303 British at .311.
Little leading but I almost hit the berm twice in a row. Never did hit the target.

Buckshot
09-23-2008, 11:14 PM
hello to all i am new on cast boolits i would like some help with lube recipe's i been reloading for 43 years i have never made lube what is best recipe to start with trap shooter

................Trap Shooter, go to the stickies up at the top of this forum and click on the thread titled, "Just the facts: Lube recipes", and have a good time reading :-). Oh, and a big welcome to the board.

................Buckshot

Tom W.
09-24-2008, 04:30 AM
I've taken the Carnauba red and hand applied it to my 30 cal. cast boolits and run them through the Lee sizer ( Upside down, I might add, because of previously mentioned issues with it not wanting to seat the gas checks in the prescribed manner.) It is a messy and time consuming way to get things done, but the results are stellar.... Now that I got my Ranch Dog mold, I'll try it both with the LLA and the Carnauba Red...

Boerrancher
09-24-2008, 06:33 AM
I have both the 450 lube/sizer and the lee push through. I use both on a regular basis depending on what I am doing. If I want to shoot MOA groups out of my 30-06, and really good groups out of my 30-30, I use the Lee push through. If I want to shoot min of tin can, paper plate, and coyote, I use my Lyman 450.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe