PDA

View Full Version : BD45CM vs BD45acp 09

alamogunr
12-01-2016, 01:38 PM
In going thru some accumulated stuff I had printed and wanted to file or throw away, I ran across a drawing of what was labeled BD45acp 09. BD45acp apparently was the original group buy for a series(?) of BD45 molds. I have a group buy Lee mold designated BD45CM. I assume that the BD45acp 09 was a slight modification(made in 2009?) of the original BD mold.

I'm wondering how the BD45acp 09 differs from my BD45CM and is the difference significant? For some reason I don't remember ever using the CM although I must have cast a few.

Any information would be appreciated.

I just found the thread for the GB for the BD45CM. I also found out that I ordered 2 molds. Time to start looking for it.

dubber123
12-01-2016, 09:06 PM
One of the original group buys from LEE came in way undersized, like .448" undersize. I know, I got one. Through some miracle, I managed to lap it to .452" and keep it round. It is an excellent design, and shoots VERY well. Mine casts close to 240 grs.from WW's.

runfiverun
12-01-2016, 09:13 PM
I remember that.
it was undersized by a ton and many were out of round to boot.
it was like an 18 month wait for the molds too.

yondering
12-01-2016, 09:25 PM
One of the original group buys from LEE came in way undersized, like .448" undersize. I know, I got one. Through some miracle, I managed to lap it to .452" and keep it round. It is an excellent design, and shoots VERY well. Mine casts close to 240 grs.from WW's.

Those undersized molds would be good candidates for boring out the lube grooves and powder coating; very easy to bore them to .452" in the process, or whatever diameter a guy wanted. If anyone still has one of these undersized versions and wants it bored out, let me know.

alamogunr
12-01-2016, 10:09 PM
I guess I better get mine out and cast a few w/WW and see what size they cast. This may be my push to get into powder coating. It will probably be after Christmas, but I could be sending you a PM, Yondering.

yondering
12-02-2016, 02:10 AM
Sure thing, any time.

alamogunr
12-09-2016, 09:57 AM
Happened to be in the shop yesterday and found a few of the BD45CM boolits that I had forgotten about. Most had slight wrinkling but the bases were sharp. When I measured some, I found that the upper driving band varied from .4535 to .4548 and the base band was .4525 to .4528. I suspect that some of the variation is due to being out of round and these measurements are only from 3 examples.

It looks to me like sizing would make them uniform so I don't think any drastic measures are indicated. Also, this is from one mold only. I've never even scrubbed the 2nd mold. I may sell it if I don't follow up with trying it out in my .45's.

Probably won't do anything until after the first of the year and not then if it is as cold as it is this morning. Call me a wimp but 23º is cold to this Tennessean.