PDA

View Full Version : Gun lube for the masses

sutherpride59
12-01-2016, 12:24 AM
I was digging through some old files for some notes and I found the recipe for the gun oil I've used for the last 5 years. This stuff is pretty great and the recipe make a ton of it. I'm sure most of y'all have seen it before but just in case I figuered I would share the wealth.

http://www.firearmsnews.com/guns/handguns/gunlube-for-the-masses-red-oil/

or or you can bing search(Google is for liberals) gun lube for the masses and that will pull up the article too. Have 4 two liter bottles handy cuz it makes a lot.

NavyVet1959
12-01-2016, 12:41 AM
So "Shotgun News" has changed their name to "Firearm News". I used to buy them back before everyone moved to the Internet. Last I saw them, their magazine had seriously decreased in thickness.

RU shooter
12-01-2016, 07:42 AM
So "Shotgun News" has changed their name to "Firearm News". I used to buy them back before everyone moved to the Internet. Last I saw them, their magazine had seriously decreased in thickness.
Yep about half a thick as it used to be. Lube Recipe sounds ok ,I'd prob switch out the hoppes 9 for kerosene though .

NavyVet1959
12-01-2016, 07:47 AM
Red Oil recipe:

3 quarts automatic transmission fluid (red F type)
1 quart 10W or 30W non-detergent motor oil
1 pint STP oil treatment
4 ounces Hoppe’s #9

Since it said Red Oil, I was expecting Marvel Mystery Oil... :)

DerekP Houston
12-01-2016, 08:08 AM
I've just been using ATF lately and had no ill effects...revolver gets broken down, all parts go in over night to soak. I might give this a try, not sure if I'll buy a giant bottle of hoppes though or just make do.

dragon813gt
12-01-2016, 09:01 AM
I realize it makes a lot but that's not exactly a cheap formula. I will stick w/ buying Ballistol by the gallon. It's certainly not cheap but I know it works.

Petrol & Powder
12-01-2016, 09:56 AM
Not endorsing Grant here but this article is pretty close to the issue:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/

sutherpride59
12-01-2016, 10:29 AM

Yah someone else took over and the decided s name change was in order. I can't blame the as they don't talk much about shotguns. It's gone a little down hill and their blogs are a lot less frequent now.

im not saying it's the best oil out there but it's pretty cheap and it makes a lot. Hell I bout most of the stuff on sale and I remeber it wasn't very expensive at all. You can tweak it as you see fit it gonna be your oil not mine. I just like it because it works and I have a lot of it.

Mytmousemalibu
12-01-2016, 10:45 AM
I would do the same if i make some. I can't stand the stench of Hoppes. Kerosene I don't mind.

dragon813gt
12-01-2016, 10:58 AM
I would do the same if i make some. I can't stand the stench of Hoppes. Kerosene I don't mind.

So you're saying you don't have one of these in your vehicle ;)

http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltbtxdraGR1qdrno0o1_500.png

white eagle
12-01-2016, 11:32 AM
thanks for the intel

MostlyLeverGuns
12-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Bing is Microsoft, Bill Gates has supported every Washington State Gun Control with millions of dollars.

GhostHawk
12-01-2016, 12:08 PM
I am with Derek, I have been using mostly straight Dextron III ATF. Now I have found when removing leading that starting with say an ounce of ATF, add 3-4 sprays of "goo gone" into the ATF will get under the lead and remove it easier. Also makes the ATF VERY slick.

I only have one revolver, a Heritage in .22lr/.22wmr. It loves this stuff. Seems to wipe dry but leaves a dry film behind that is super slippery.

YMMV but those 2 are all I have been using for the last 2-3 years. No issues here, no gummyness like you get with wd-40 or some other oils.

dondiego
12-01-2016, 12:12 PM
Bing is Microsoft, Bill Gates has supported every Washington State Gun Control with millions of dollars.
Huh? Bing oil?

dragon813gt
12-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Huh? Bing oil?

No, Bing the search engine. The OP made reference to using it instead of Google. Neither company is firearms friendly.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-01-2016, 12:42 PM
I've just been using ATF lately and had no ill effects...revolver gets broken down, all parts go in over night to soak. I might give this a try, not sure if I'll buy a giant bottle of hoppes though or just make do.
ATF is a great lube for internals...and maybe more???? but I use a formula I was given many years ago for a gun's exterior, called "The Gunshow Oil".

A simple enough recipe...
70% Mobil one (I use the 0W-30 full synth auto engine oil)
30% STP

*It needs to be warmed up, to get it blended well...no more than 200º is needed.
**I suspect you could use any good full synth engine oil, this is an old recipe from back in the day when nearly all engine oils weren't synthetic and Mobil One was the only widely known snyth oil...and there was only one flavor of Mobil One, LOL.

I was told this doesn't leave the usual multi-colored rainbow streaks [oil slick] like some oils will do on Blued Steel, and [since it's fairly viscus] it resists finger prints...Both of which, I think are important when presenting a gun for sale when it's likely to be handled alot ...and that's surely been my experience using this at the gunshows I've worked.

Nueces
12-01-2016, 12:57 PM
For those who would like to make a smaller quantity (37 ounces total, a bit over a quart) of this Red Oil, the amounts in volumetric ounces are:

ATF/F 24
10W 8
STP 4
Hoppes 9 1

Aside: I wish the forum would accept tabs, or even spaces, for making simple tables.

Mytmousemalibu
12-01-2016, 01:14 PM

Oh gawd noooooooooo!

ascast
12-01-2016, 01:30 PM
where can I get some a those ?

mdi
12-01-2016, 01:43 PM
I might as well throw my recipe in here too, but it isn't for a lube, it's my all around tool, gun soak/cleaner (the mention of Marvel's Mystery Oil reminded me). I use mineral spirits, MMO, some light motor oil (5-30) and Kroil. When I'm out of MMO I use ATF. I keep a container of this on my bench for cleaning tools (even my mics), guns and dies. I just soak the parts in the mix then just wipe dry (in gun cleaning I'll run a few patches through the bore). I'm left with a clean tool with a light film to prevent rust. As a lube, I've found 2-cycle motor oil to work pretty well, but I don't get my firearms wet, nor shoot in sub-zero weather...

dragon813gt
12-01-2016, 01:47 PM
Oh gawd noooooooooo!

If you think Hoppes is bad then don't try Ballistol. Two completely different smells. But the Ballistol will persist for days. It took about five years until I could bear the smell.

gwpercle
12-01-2016, 02:03 PM
Equal parts K-1 Kerosene and ATF make a good general purpose gun oil . This was outlined by C.E. "Ed" Harris in his Ed's Red Bore Cleaner article , updated &revised 9-29-95 , works as well as anything and better than most.
Gary

NavyVet1959
12-01-2016, 02:22 PM
For those who would like to make a smaller quantity (37 ounces total, a bit over a quart) of this Red Oil, the amounts in volumetric ounces are:

ATF/F 24
10W 8
STP 4
Hoppes 9 1

Aside: I wish the forum would accept tabs, or even spaces, for making simple tables.

You just have to go to the "Advanced" tab and use the tables icon:

ATF/F

10W

STP

Hoppes 9

If a table gets too complicated for that, I will either encode it as an HTML page, store it somewhere, and provide a link, or I'll just put it in an image file and include the image in posting.

Phlier
12-01-2016, 02:25 PM
Not endorsing Grant here but this article is pretty close to the issue:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/

Definitely worth taking the time to read.

Mytmousemalibu
12-01-2016, 03:09 PM
If you think Hoppes is bad then don't try Ballistol. Two completely different smells. But the Ballistol will persist for days. It took about five years until I could bear the smell.

I have some Ballistol, its good stuff but it does stink. It has kind of an essence of dirty sock type of stink. It's one of those products that is fairly unique and not easily replaced. Hoppes on the other hand is one gun solvent in a sea of other options. I primarily use Ed's Red now and I am completely happy with it and the smell isn't offensive to me. Lube wise, I mostly use plain 30wt motor oil and Lubriplate C130-AA.

NavyVet1959
12-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Never tried Ballistol, so looked it up to get some more info on it. Looks like it's made from mineral oil, possibly olive oil, and some essential oil to give it a licorice-like smell. They list it as non-toxic and good for metal, plastic, and leather.

dondiego
12-01-2016, 03:40 PM
Never tried Ballistol, so looked it up to get some more info on it. Looks like it's made from mineral oil, possibly olive oil, and some essential oil to give it a licorice-like smell. They list it as non-toxic and good for metal, plastic, and leather.

And especially good for black powder applications. It don't smell like any licorice I have ever smelled!

country gent
12-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Balistol is an old school cleaner presevative thats also water soluable. The containers give the dilution rate for diffrent aplications. It is very good at removing corrosive fouling from primers and early powders when mixed accordinly. I use 4 parts water to 1 part balistol for black powder fouling and it is very quick removing fouling. I have used ATF for lubricating its a high detergent oil, 2 cycle is good and a high heat oil. The hoppes #9 kerosene is a thinner and or evaporating carrier. One of the best lubricating cleaning mixes I have found is Kanos Kroil mixed 50-50 with shooters choice bench rest. There are many good lubes out there, some are very good, alot of the older lubes would get gummy or harden over time. WD-40 will do this also.

NavyVet1959
12-01-2016, 03:55 PM
And especially good for black powder applications. It don't smell like any licorice I have ever smelled!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistol

It has a sweet and mildly pungent smell similar to black licorice

I've also seen it described as the smell sweaty gym socks and licorice. :)

Mytmousemalibu
12-01-2016, 03:56 PM

That's for darn sure! I wouldn't be eating licorice that smells like Ballistol!

I used it mixed with water to make moose milk for BP and corrosive cleaning.

country gent
12-01-2016, 03:56 PM
Dondiego You michiganders can drink Vernors with out having to catch you breath again. But you are right Balistol has a unique smell to it.

dragon813gt
12-01-2016, 04:07 PM
Ballistol does have a faint hint of licorice. I hate anise which is part of the reason I found the smell so offending.

I find it works perfectly for my needs. It's safe on every material in a gun and your hands. It's not real thin so it stays in place. And it doesn't dry out. I use it on everything, including my reloading bench tops.

There are better options for long term storage. There are definitely better powder solvents if you don't want to give it a long soak time. If you stay away from the aerosol bottles it lasts a long time. I buy it by the gallon and transfer it into their hand pump sprayers. You can get the value kits on Amazon for the same price as their site. Makes it cheaper for me since I'm a Prime member.

So basically all that boils down to it's good stuff.

Nueces
12-01-2016, 04:08 PM
You just have to go to the "Advanced" tab and use the tables icon:

ATF/F

10W

STP

Hoppes 9

If a table gets too complicated for that, I will either encode it as an HTML page, store it somewhere, and provide a link, or I'll just put it in an image file and include the image in posting.

Hooaah! Thanks, NV!

Wayne Smith
12-01-2016, 04:19 PM
I don't know if anyone has looked it up but Balistol goes back to WWI German chemistry for the German Army.

NavyVet1959
12-01-2016, 04:23 PM
Ballistol does have a faint hint of licorice. I hate anise which is part of the reason I found the smell so offending.

Ouzo !!!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2084/2159581768_9d47f53cdd.jpg

dragon813gt
12-01-2016, 04:28 PM
I don't know if anyone has looked it up but Balistol goes back to WWI German chemistry for the German Army.

It's the original CLP.

marlin39a
12-01-2016, 04:29 PM
I bought 2 gallons of Breakfree CLP 20 yrs ago. Still have plenty. I also use Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gun oil. All I need.

NavyVet1959
12-01-2016, 04:35 PM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2084/2159581768_9d47f53cdd.jpg
+

http://www.uvresources.com/media/1386/dirty-socks-small.jpg
=

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/512Ah6IehCL._SY550_.jpg
?

NavyVet1959
12-01-2016, 04:39 PM

So, licorice + sweaty socks + sauerkraut?

StuBach
12-01-2016, 05:12 PM

Also bing being Microsoft = MSNBC = liberal news media

Sorry, couldn't resist. Thank you for recipe though.

sutherpride59
12-01-2016, 08:23 PM

The Bing reference was just a light hearted joke, I don't know of a search engine out there that isn't run by silicone valley bleeding heart liberals. However, I do like Bing better, they don't seem to censor my searches as much as Google. Just my opinion.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-06-2022, 12:28 PM
LOL
:holysheep

rbuck351
08-06-2022, 01:04 PM
ATF works well for me. I may add a bit of something but there will be no STP on any of my guns. It will make gun parts not move when it's 20 to 50 below zero.

bruce381
08-06-2022, 01:15 PM
Definitely worth taking the time to read.

Fun read BUT wrong on about a third of what he said about each type of oil but the gist is OK.