PDA

View Full Version : Awful accuracy

Abert Rim
11-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Well, I suspect it is my crappy casting technique, but I sure have been disappointed in the accuracy from my Euroarms two-band Enfield and both round balls and the REAL bullet. Elk season opens in just over a week, and I had foolishly hoped I could get the REAL to perform. But with 90, 100 and 120 grains of Goex FFg I am getting four-inch groups at 50 yards and a foot at 100. I just don't have time left to try another minie mold. I have been asting with pure lead, and am tempted to add a little tin to get a cleaner bullet. I have also heard the REAL often shoots better with a wad under it, so I will try to find some Wonder wads or fiber wads to fit the Enfield bore. If I can't improve the accuracy, I am pretty much stuck with a 50-yard shot. By the way, the Enfield is 5-groove but 1:66 twist, I believe. Velocity is running about 1209 fps with 90 grains, and about 1380 with 120.

KCSO
11-01-2005, 01:52 PM
I am strictly a round ball shooter, but in my 1841 I had to go to a thin patch and a rel tigh fit bullet to get accuracy. I finally got good groups at 80 grains of FFg and a 570 ball with a 10thou patch lubed with bear oil. I did do a little work with a minnei made from wheel weights one time for a heavy load for a Kodiak. The double gun shot into 2" at 50 yards with them and would still go under 5" at 100 and I thought that was pretty good for an unregulated double.

Abert Rim
11-01-2005, 02:27 PM
KCSO: Thanks for the reply. If I can't get the REAL to shoot, I may do a hurry-up course of patch thickness experiments with RB. I know there is a combination that will give accuracy, it's just that I prefer the added oomph of a conical for elk.
By the way, I have had Kodiaks in .58 and .72, and loved them. Hope to get another .72 one of these days. Just got back from a sharptails and pheasants hunting trip in the sandhills south of Gordon. Love that part of Nebraska.

DOUBLEJK
11-01-2005, 10:34 PM
With that 1 in 66 twist 4" at 50 ain't terrible bad....n a standin' broadside Elk's vital zones not real small....gives ya a basket ball sized target easy....
Bet ya do better with the RB's tho....they like a 1 in 66 twist...
REAL's like 1 in 48 alot better....

waksupi
11-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Put 90-110 gr. #fff Goex behind a patched round ball in that 1-66 twist if it is a .50, up to 130 for a .54, and to 170 for a .58. Patched round ball is what it is rifled for. It is a pretty slow twist, and is going to need some horsepower behind it to perform well fir elk. I wouldn't bet on you ever getting a long bullet to shoot in it. I think round ball is better elk medicine anyway. Better trajectory, and plenty of punch.

Bret4207
11-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Jeeze Waksupi- haven't you read the latest articles in all the blackpowder hunting mags? You can't kill squat with a round ball. Maybe a chipmunk at 20 feet with a 54 backed by 100 gr ffg, but anything bigger the ball will just bounce off the hide and leave a welt. It's a fact. Ask that Shockey guy. Anyways- how you gonna put an 8-32x50MM scope on a Enfield?

kenjuudo
11-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Bret, now you've gone and done it! I was happy in my ignorant bliss, been doing it all wrong for years. :shock: :lol: :shock:

Abert Rim
11-02-2005, 11:10 AM
OK, OK fellas. I get the drift. I'll dig out the Hornady .570 round balls and a variety of patching material and get back to the range. But I'm still curious about the wad under the conical trick. After all, the .577 Enfield made its reputation with minie bullets.

MT Gianni
11-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Trpr Bret, You forgot to mention those nifty little pellets to draw away the worshippers of the "Holy Black". Gianni.