PDA

View Full Version : Watch out shipping thru PO

rockrat
06-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Bought some WW from one of the members here. He shipped flat rate boxes, but put strapping tape on the boxes as a precaution. PO decided that that was "modifying" the boxes and instead of $10 shipping for the box, the PO wants to charge $60 per box as the strapping tape somehow "voids" the flat rate shipping rate. Can only put tape on the ends of the boxes.
Unfortunately, they didn't tell him that when he shipped the boxes, only when they were trying to collect the extra $$ from me. I refused shipment and he is going to refuse them also, so the PO can figure what to do with them (I have a suggestion!!:twisted:), We both lose.

runfiverun
06-17-2008, 01:49 PM
wow, your government in action once again!! they would rather ship it ten times rather then inform you initially of any problems.
it's one of those you gotta ask if ya wanna know deals.
and you don't know you gotta ask. it's a box.

Jon K
06-17-2008, 01:59 PM
The best packaged lot of pure lead I have got, the inside of the flat rate box was lined on all sides with 1/4" plywood &1/4" styrofoam, then any airspace was packed w/newspaper. All the pieces were cut with such precision, like a cabinetmaker would have done.

Jon

montana_charlie
06-17-2008, 05:30 PM
The 'strapping tape' may have caused the problem. Clear tape does not obscure the wording "Flat Rate Box", but the kind commonly called 'strapping tape' (with the filaments in it) does.

Obscuring the words is like covering up the stamp on a letter. If the machines (or clerks) down the line can't read it...it doesn't exist.
CM

Junior1942
06-17-2008, 05:45 PM
I ship lots of packages USPS. If the package has $3.00 in stamps on it, and the proper amount was $3.10 you get it back with the original stamps voided. If the proper amount is iffy, I go with the next higher amount.

mike in co
06-17-2008, 05:52 PM
tell your postmaster to pound sand! the boxes maybe reinforced with tape. i do not think there is wording that says what kind of tape.
all of my boxes went priority mail, del confirmation, limited to about 40 lbs. ALL HAD STRAPPING TAPE AND CLEAR TAPE .

how many pounds of ww ???

see when you make them work extra they get pissed.

i have said it over and over....dont go to the limit.

when the boxes get back to the sender, have him talk to the postmaster, and be shown what is not correct. if its an "opinion" not in print in black and white , tell him to deliver the packages.
(if he covered all the "flate rate" labels you are probably sol.....)

mike in co

jawjaboy
06-17-2008, 07:17 PM
I agree Mike. I(me) would pitch a fit. Here are the rules on flat rate boxes. If the shape(dimensions) of the box were not altered. Pound sand.

http://www.usps.com/shipping/flatrate.htm?from=priority&page=flatrate

400cor-bon
06-17-2008, 08:38 PM
The best packaged lot of pure lead I have got, the inside of the flat rate box was lined on all sides with 1/4" plywood &1/4" styrofoam, then any airspace was packed w/newspaper. All the pieces were cut with such precision, like a cabinetmaker would have done.

Jon

I shipped most of the boxes of tin I sold here this way
after the first box "lost" half it's contents en-route :(
1/4 ply, bubble wrap and duct tape holding the wood together snug fit inside the box
usually with strapping tape around the outside.[smilie=1:
USPS shipped no problem

RU shooter
06-17-2008, 08:45 PM
The 'strapping tape' may have caused the problem.
CMCharlie is correct anything but "Clear" tape is a No No on a flat rate box.

RP
06-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Well I have had problems with the post office myself with these flat rate shipping. Was charge extra to receive a flat rate box around 40.00 for two of them. The next time i got some in they tried to charge me again the only thing wrong with the box was it had a small tear in them from being dropped. I refused and they said they would return to sender 2 days later I got another notice of box to pick up when I went to get it the first two boxes were with it. Meanwhile I was complaining to postmaster on my end and shipper was complaining on his end. He told me ounce a package is taken by the post office for shipment they cannot add any charges to it and would refund my money for the first 2 if i had the boxes. Worker said she did not charge me for the other two I wonder what shes going to say when i show up with the boxes that she charged me extra for.

But when I ship my lead and I ship alot of lead I add a piece of plywood to the bottom my lead is in bottles (shot) And when I get wws shipped to me I tell them to add plywood to the bottom and had one guy add paneling to the sides only loses about 5 lbs in weight of the lead for space lost but the boxes come in looking in good shape.

lastmanout
06-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Howdy Guys, I am the evil one who unknowingly violated the sacred postal regulations. My postmaster is a very nice lady, and is going to check into the situation. I MAY be able to get back the lead without charge --- but MAYBE. But it is dishearting. I packed 50 pounds in a Flat rate box #1 with a double layer cardboard inside the bottom. All the dimensions where original when I put the strapping tape around it. The lady at the counter accepted it , just like the PREVIOUS 16 BOXES I have mailed. Looks like Montrose, Colorado has a hard-nosed postmaster and /or some lazy workers. Just our luck.:( Rockrat has been a real gentleman through this fiasco, and I will do my best to make this situation have a happier ending. Thanks to all for your input -- Tim D aka lastmanout

imashooter2
06-18-2008, 12:11 AM
I don't understand... The package was accepted by a USPS representative. That representative assigned postage and the stated postage was paid. The USPS now has a contractual obligation to deliver. You need to run this up the chain of command until the guy in Montrose gets his job explained to him.

RANGER RICK
06-18-2008, 12:18 AM
A few years ago when the USPS started the Flat Rate boxes I started using them .
There was this one postal lady that just did not care for me one bit and told me a couple times I was "modifying" the box with to much tape , that is clear tape not the fiber type ones .
So one day I had enough of her and did as she Requested I used less tape and used one strand of tape on the box and had my hand on the bottom of the box and slid it on her table when she went to pick it up to weigh it the 30 pounds of shot went everywhere and I mean everywhere !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She started hollering and carrying on and that brought out the Post master right away .
He asked her what was the problem and she told him that I messed up her area and other ramblings and then he asked me what was the problem.

I said I just followed the Postal Lady's demands that I use less tape because I was "modifying" the box with tape and she said she would not accept another box from me that was "modified"
He got a smirk on his face and asked me if I could come back at quitting time to claim my lead because it would take awhile to pick up all the rolling balls everywhere !!!!!

I met him latter in the day and he gave me my box all 22 pounds of it !!! That is all they could get picked up .
He told me that was the funniest thing he had seen to get a point across and that I would not be harassed anymore what soever and my boxes were just fine with the clear tape on it .

RR

PatMarlin
06-18-2008, 12:58 AM
I used actuall black poly strapping, with metal crimps on a flat rate, around each way, then taped over that with clear tape.

They accepted it. Had 2 chevy alternators in it.. :mrgreen:

Buckshot
06-18-2008, 01:46 AM
...............I used a couple flat rate boxes maybe a half year after they first came out. In case anyone doesn't know, I am an absolutely maniacal whack job about machine tool cutters. If it's shiny, sharp, and has flutes or teeth I gotta have it :-) Where I used to work I worked a 12 hour shift at night ...................unsupervised, and I really had nothing to do. Being new to machining and wanting to have at least one of everything I used to cruise E-Bay religiously and had a 'Watch List' and a 'Bid List" that required a table of contents, along with chapters.

Basicly someone had a Sh*tpotfull of horizontal mill rotary milling cutters. The fact that I didn't own a turret mill, let alone a horizontal mill was of no consequence. Checking various sources it seemed some of these cutters individually were worth 2 or 3 times the current bid, and there were 38 of them, all different. All NOS and made here in the U.S. of A.

UPS shipping IIRC was listed as something like $134. I got them all for $81 plus the shipping! They were all in their individual boxes, wrapped in waxed, or oiled, or VPI paper inside one big box. I reveled in unwrapping each one to check them out, and marveling at how they were made and all the stuff you do if you like this kind of thing. After awile reality kicked in and I knew I'd never have a horizontal mill. Plus I had a bit of change tied up in them and they'd make damn heavy coasters.

I listed them for sale on the Practical Machinist BB's buy and sell forum listed by shaft size (1 or 1-1/2") OD, width, number of teeth, and material as some had brazed carbide teeth. The 3rd response I got wanted to buy them all. I had already sold 4 so he took the 34 remaining. I made a bit over $400 after subtracting out the initial expense.

I managed to get the 34 remaining into two flat rate boxes, after numerous shifting and repacking tries. I had to carry them one at a time into the PO. At that time flat rate was like $8.50 or so. Dennis (who I know well now) charged me the $17 and then checked them on the scale. He said one box would have been like $54 and the other $62, and the service was taking a bath on these things, ha!

...............Buckshot

Single Shot
06-18-2008, 03:21 AM
I hold the record at the local post office.

I shipped at exactly 70 pounds in a flat rate box. They mentioned regular postage would have been $93. 70 pounds is the weight limit but I switched back to 50 because I had trouble lifting 70.

I never had a problem with the type of tape. Weather it was strapping tape or clear tape. With strapping tape, I made three rows around the box vertically and horizontally so I did not cover the flat rate circle.

I never lined the boxes with wood, but I did use the priority mail box that looks like it will hold a VHS tape, and had these boxes in a vertical row inside the flat rate box.

This retained the shape of the flat rate box.

I would glue the box flaps together with Titebond and stack some lead on this over night to dry before filling the boxes. Then glue the top flaps too, before taping.

I would completely cover the box with three layers of the clear tape when I switched to it from strapping tape.

I shipped over a hundred boxes this way without any problem. And when I switched to the clear tape I asked the customer to e-mail me a photo of the box so I could see how it held up.

The box looked beat up and rounded out of shape due to ruff handling, but still held together.

shotman
06-18-2008, 07:36 AM
i have and just did ship lead i use the plywood in bottom and straping tape around the sides as long as the flat rate shows WHERE the address label is there has not been a problem. shotman

smokemjoe
06-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the infor fellows, As some of yous that have gotten items from me the flat rate boxes have had black duck taped around them, Post office and drug store says nothing. One box of brass to Calif., Fellow told me it had been toren apart and PO warpped it up. I will wrap in clear tape from now on, Thanks- Joe

500bfrman
06-18-2008, 09:12 AM
I don't understand... The package was accepted by a USPS representative. That representative assigned postage and the stated postage was paid. The USPS now has a contractual obligation to deliver. You need to run this up the chain of command until the guy in Montrose gets his job explained to him.

This is what my post office tells me. If the postage is iffy they say well I'll stamp it now and it will be good to go. Wants it stamps it is good to go. But its the government.

VTDW
06-18-2008, 09:26 AM
I been using an old roll of red duct tape on my Flat Rate boxes. Guess I'll quit using it.:mrgreen:

Dave

Texasflyboy
06-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Bought some WW from one of the members here.

Regardless of what they say, 90% of counter clerks hate those flat rate boxes when they go over about 40lbs.

I had the same problem with an arrogant little SOB at my local PO. Just this one clerk. I brought in a 68 lb. box of cast bullets that I was sending to a friend here on the board and he flat out refused it. "Too much tape" he says. (It was covered in clear packing tape).

So, in front of everyone in the Post Office our conversation went like:

"Too much tape, can't take it". (he said)

"Fine". "How much tape should I use?" (I say)

"Well, you have too much".

"That's a subjective answer. This is the U.S. Post Office. You don't sell postage by the inch do you, you sell it in precise monetary increments. 1 oz = .41 cents. We all understand that. So, show me your chart that says how much tape is too little, how much is just right, and how much is too much".

"You have too much tape".

At that point people started openly laughing behind me. It was sad.

So I left. Went home, found a 7.62x 25 ammo can that I had kicking around the garage and with tip snips, solder, and rivets, made a perfect box that fit like a glove inside the flat rate square box. Using my Harbor Freight scale, I packed it with bullets to exactly 70lbs.

Brought it back, and there wasn't single piece of tape anywhere on it. I waited in line just for him the next day, I had to let three people go ahead of me to get him as my clerk (4 were on duty) and I plopped the box down on the counter and just smiled.

He wasn't happy when I set the second box down in front of him (I had one of those little carts on wheels with me) completely covered in clear tape. "Here is the next one" I announced.

When I handed my 2nd box (the taped one) I told him "I'll be back tomorrow and the next three days with about 15 more of these. I'm on vacation this week and have nothing but time on my hands. You want to reconsider your thoughts on too much tape or do I spend the rest of the morning here chatting up the Postmaster?

The boxes went smoothly after that. What he didn't know, was that I knew the Postmaster, and had known him for years. We go way back. And his first comment to me when I relayed the story was "The next time that happens, you come get me. I've had to sit behind that SOB for weeks at a time on a stool watching him, I can't fire him, but I can force him to do his job".

Up until the time I moved away from there, anytime I went in, the clerk I like (not the little arrogant SOB) greets me with a grin and always says "Too much tape". We both share a snort and a laugh. Often, he inspects my letter, and applies a single precise piece of tape to the back, on the seal, and tsk tsk tsk'ing, dramatically re-weighs it to see if the tape has increased the postage. I am always laughing during this process.

That's why I like the post office. Nutjobs and real people, just like life.

No_1
06-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Gentlemen,

I have shipped HUNDREDS of flat rate boxes (during my gatorcheck GB days) that were wrapped with the brown fiber inserted tape. I did not cover the whole box. I covered everyplace there was a bent edge and 1 wrap completely around the center at the box closing seams. I have never been told they could not be shipped that way and have never had a complaint from the receiving end. I was told by the local Post Masters (I use 3 different post offices) that as long as you do not cover ALL the Flat Rate priority mail prints on the box that I would be good to go. I have also sent boxes (35lbs) of lead to 45Nut which is corner to corner on the USA (Fla to Oregon) and have not had a problem with that. I would do at others have advised. Print the info from the UPSP website, confront the clerk asking them to SHOW you in writing where you cannot seal the box as you have. If they refuse to research it with you, complain to the head Postmaster.

Robert

Ps. On the flat rate envelope, I was told you can reinforce (tape) all seams except directly over the "rip cord" opener.

mike in co
06-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Charlie is correct anything but "Clear" tape is a No No on a flat rate box.

not true, just do not cover the "flat rate" signs.

mike in co

mike in co
06-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Gentlemen,

Robert

Ps. On the flat rate envelope, I was told you can reinforce (tape) all seams except directly over the "rip cord" opener.

not...

it says right on the envelope....seams ok to tape......but only the original self-sealing on the envelope for closing the envelope.

i get around this by sealing the ripcord ends with tape( all the way across the envelope, effectively closing it with tape) i claim the rip cord ends are easily snagged , and may inadvertently cause my package to open....

mike in co

montana_charlie
06-18-2008, 12:32 PM
I worked for the USPS for fifteen years. Thirteen of those years were spent on the dock, in the middle of the night, dealing primarily with parcels. I could spend days writing posts about the convolutions that parcels (and clerks) go through...in a 'small office' like Great Falls, Montana...where everything is done 'by hand'. But, you wouldn't believe half of it.

Suffice it to say that Great Falls, being at the end of the line, gets the 'product' of the huge facilities which have all of the 'automation'.
That automation (speaking of it like a living entity) doesn't care what color tape you use, how big or small your parcel is, or how it's weight compares with other items (within the same load) being sorted and loaded into containers. It doesn't care that a stout, cardboard, shipping tube (containing an antique, hand-made bamboo fly rod) is about to drop from the conveyor into a 'cage'...and is being followed by a 65-pound box of 20:1 ingots that will break that tube (and contents) into four distinct objects - three of which have no postage on them.

What the automation cares about is it's ability to read necessary information from the parcel in order to route it to the right location. If anything hampers that info acquisition, a clerk has to get involved.

If you could hang out and observe in a busy Postal facility for a few shifts (without getting run over), you might get the impression that, for the most part, clerks are paid to be slightly pissed off all of the time. That's not really true, but it would be easy to get that idea. And, you would see very few clerks who have a 'stand around, hands in the pocket' job. (If you did see one, he would probably be the next new 'manager'.)
Even one who is 'attending the automation' is probably going hand over fist, trying to keep up with the volume. When your parcel shows up...the one that the automation can't read...that clerk has to stop 'keeping up' long enough to 'do something extra' to that 'taped to hell, heavy as hell, beat up as hell, little piece of crap that some idiot sent out just to put me hopelessly behind...giving that moron supervisor a reason to chew on my butt again' Flat Rate Box of wheelweights with the obscured labeling.

You see, while a clerk is well-paid to be slightly pissed off all the time, he can't be pissed off at any human. If he gets extra pissed, and says the wrong word to a supervisor or co-worker, they will actually call Homeland Security down on his butt! That 'Going Postal' thing is not just a euphemism.
So, he can only be mad at inanimate objects...like the parcel which just demanded his time and attention.

At the Great Falls office, where everything is done by hand, we were governed by the clock.
If we moved fast enough to get a bit ahead, we could devote a few moments to doing 'something extra' for a parcel that was hard to read, breaking open, or had some other problem.
Even if a parcel pissed us off, it was easier to treat it with reasonable care...than to spend time gathering contents due to rough handling.
If a bit of 'special handling' put us behind a little, picking up the pace for a while got us back on schedule...because we were not governed by that 'automation' which allows you no leeway.

It boils down to this...
When you send a parcel into the Postal environment, it will likely go through at least one 'automated' office. It pays for you to follow all of the rules that apply...because that clerk who's actions are governed by the speed of 'the automation' has no 'free time' to operate outside of those rules.
He is like one of your spark plugs. If he 'fires' at any rate other than what the timing demands, the engine falters. When there is faltering on a Postal Service workroom floor, somebody gets yanked and 'sandblasted'...and maybe replaced.
Just like a spark plug...

If you think a Postal spark plug is going to jeapordize his 30-50 thousand per year job, in order to lavish some love on a box of ingots that is incorrectly packaged...I have news for you.

The clerk who will do that is the one at your local office, or the one who routes it out to the delivery person. That guy in the middle will make it 'gone' by the method that complies most closely with 'the rules'...rules that some (here) think of as pretty much of a joke.

CM

floodgate
06-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Our PO REQUESTS us to put a protective layer of clear tape over the address area; they have never objected to triple runs of strapping tape all around the package each way, so long as the address is clear. I also always put a card or a copy of the correspondence with the to & from addresses inside, in case the package should break open. Out of deference to the nice ladies there, I try to keep PriMail boxes to 40 lbs. or less, though they've never complained when I get one in the 60+ lb. range. They DO sometimes ask me to come around to the side door to pick them up, and I'm happy to oblige.

floodgate

klw
06-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Bought some WW from one of the members here. He shipped flat rate boxes, but put strapping tape on the boxes as a precaution. PO decided that that was "modifying" the boxes and instead of $10 shipping for the box, the PO wants to charge $60 per box as the strapping tape somehow "voids" the flat rate shipping rate. Can only put tape on the ends of the boxes.
Unfortunately, they didn't tell him that when he shipped the boxes, only when they were trying to collect the extra $$ from me. I refused shipment and he is going to refuse them also, so the PO can figure what to do with them (I have a suggestion!!:twisted:), We both lose.

The post office never expected anyone to be able to get 70 pounds of anything into their flat box rate boxes. Though some post offices handle this stuff ok, most don't. Art Green, for example, has had a heck of a time sending out alloy this way. His post office has made his life a living he@@ because they just don't want to deal with this stuff. And this isn't atypical. I've had any number of boxes delivered that were clearly deliberately ruptured.

I've been told that you can not ship lead via the flat box rate. That's not true. I've had the post office try to collect an additional $60 per box for various reasons. That's just fraud. I've had numerous boxes deliverately vandalized. I've switched to UPS.

mike in co
06-18-2008, 01:29 PM
i have never seen deliberate vandelism to US mail.

6 foot high containers of priority mail are dumped, by machine, on to a conveyor belt at the facility i have worked at ..........your 40-60 lb box will damage someone elses 2 lb box. when the belt is full, poor work by mail handlers over filling the belt, the heavier boxes are driven into lighter boxes....lots of corners and sides bent. truely damaged/open containers are suppose to be pulled and mail clerks attempt to secure the package and send it on its way.
the packages are bagged by zip, and then dumped again into 6 foot containers. bags are sent to local distribution where that may be opened and again dumped on a belt, and sorted to individual zip codes......bagged again or to a large facility back into a 6 foot container....

like any work place there are workers earning thier pay, and placeholders stealing a paycheck, and often a negative effect on the work.

the big difference in USPS and UPS is UPS hand moves packages to a belt, USPS throws alot of packages to belts, to containers, to bags.

mike

rockrat
06-18-2008, 02:34 PM
I saw the boxes yesterday, address were clear and the strapping tape was placed about 1/4, 1/2, & 3/4 of the way up the side, about 3/4 inch wide. Didn't see what the problem was as I have shipped ingots the same way. I figured that once accepted at point of shipping, that was good enough.

TexasJeff
06-19-2008, 01:04 PM
I once had a problem with shipping at my local post office. I called my Senator's office and my Representatives office and raised hell--lots of it.

Two days later, I walk in to ship a few more boxes and the guy who ran the post office did everything but roll out the red carpet and pay for my shipping.

Seems he got a royal ass-chewing from the Postmaster General. Seems the Postmaster General doesn't enjoy getting a royal ass-chewing from United States Senators and Representatives.

Jeff

Maximilian225
06-19-2008, 04:01 PM
i have never seen deliberate vandalism to US mail.

like any work place there are workers earning their pay, and placeholders stealing a paycheck, and often a negative effect on the work.

the big difference in USPS and UPS is UPS hand moves packages to a belt, USPS throws alot of packages to belts, to containers, to bags.

mike

After 12 years at the PO this is the truth in its finest form.

Maximilian225
06-19-2008, 04:03 PM
I ship lots of packages USPS. If the package has $3.00 in stamps on it, and the proper amount was $3.10 you get it back with the original stamps voided. If the proper amount is iffy, I go with the next higher amount.

Postage is good forever as long as the item mailed has not been opened. You need only add the .10 to get it moving again.

Anybody who tells you otherwise needs to go reread the Domestic Mail Manual