PDA

View Full Version : Remove crimp groove

Chris C
11-27-2016, 10:15 AM
I'm considering removing a crimp groove from an aluminum mold. I've got Dremel tools and am good at precision work with them, but would that be the way to go, or not? Anyone have any experience doing this?

dragon813gt
11-27-2016, 11:12 AM
Simply put, no.

Dan Cash
11-27-2016, 11:31 AM
Simply put, NO. Why in the world would you want to do such a thing?

Toymaker
11-27-2016, 11:54 AM
No. Why? = = Not why do you want to know, but why do you want to do it?

longbow
11-27-2016, 12:01 PM
I'll add another why? What is the harm in leaving the crimp groove?

Some have successfully removed gas check shanks with hand tools but I certainly wouldn't try it. A drill or reamer yes but not hand tools.

So, I'd say it is possible if you are very steady with a Dremel but one small slip and you will have a divot in the mould which will make a lump on the boolit and depending on where it happens that may result in boolits sticking in the cavity.

But even if doable, why?

Longbow

country gent
11-27-2016, 12:31 PM
It can be done, but my tool of choice wouldnt be a dermil tool. They are ujust to grabby and hard to control at times. I would make a small scraper from a jewelers file or small hard tool. Ink the mould where you want to work on both sides of the crimp groove and slowly carefully scrape the groove out watching the ink to see when your where you want to be at. Working this way is mch more controlled and easier to get to right where you want to be. Thru pressure angle and tool pressure you can remove less than .001 a pass pretty consistantly. I would scrape it out rather than the dremil and burr or grind stone.

runfiverun
11-27-2016, 12:32 PM
it's doable but probably not with a dremel tool.
what you need is a J-cutter and the ability to find the centerline of the cavity.
you rotate the mold and move the J-cutter away from the centerline to make the cut.

mdi
11-27-2016, 01:08 PM
it's doable but probably not with a dremel tool.
what you need is a J-cutter and the ability to find the centerline of the cavity.
you rotate the mold and move the J-cutter away from the centerline to make the cut.
+1.
Some folks always need someone to justify his question or need/want for a specific modification or new method. To all those fellers I say why not? Besides the difficulty in removing a crimp groove from a bullet mold, tell me, why not? If everybody thought that way, we would not have beercan gaschecks, or metal preserver for bullet lube, and and mebbe not even smokeless gunpowder...

Tatume
11-27-2016, 01:26 PM
+2. If you have a need for bullets without crimp grooves, then give it a go. But I have to agree with others that a Dremel is not the correct tool for the job. Good luck with your project, and please give us an update when you can.

Chris C
11-27-2016, 02:45 PM
The reason, whether it makes sense to the masses or not, is I've a bullet I designed for my rifle and the crimp groove was designed for a shorter case than I am now using. I crimp for my single shot rifle with a Lee Factory crimp and the case now just barely passes the original crimp groove......(about .015").......so I've really nothing to crimp on. I just figured I'd be better off if the crimp groove were not there. I know I don't need a "grip" on the bullet for a single shot rifle, but I'd feel better if I was at least squeezin' down on somehin'. Not a big deal, just somethin' I was considerin'. Thanks for the comments. Nuff said.

runfiverun
11-27-2016, 10:03 PM
there are other reasons to not have a crimp groove.
most of the ones I design for rifle use come without a crimp groove.

JSnover
11-27-2016, 10:38 PM
If it's a single shot, why not just taper crimp?