PDA

View Full Version : Lucky shots or what?

sutherpride59
11-26-2016, 02:22 AM
So I got a new mold RCBS 45-201-SWC and did a little reloading after thanksgiving dinner as I cast these a couple weeks ago and tumble lubed them with some alox. I loaded them over 4.6 grains of hogdon clays with Winchester large pistol primers. Well today I went to the range and did a bit of shooting and wanted to try them out to see if I was going to have any leading issues using the hogdon Clays and out of 4 groups at 25 yards I shot 2 that were both slightly more than 1 1/2" and the other 2 groups were a little over 2"(those 2 groups were shot one handed). That wouldn't be surprising if I was using my match 1911 but I was using my beretta px4. These seem almost like a fluke but it was 4 groups of 5 rounds each. I'm not trying to brag but I'm seriously starting to wonder if that range is really at 25 yards, I plan to call them tomorrow just to confirm. Is it Normal to get such small groups out of cast bullets like this? Has anyone else had this kind of accuracy out of commercial pistols that aren't match quality? With cast bullets can you get the same out of say a glock or an XD?

if you look at the picture it got turned sideways but if you look at the target on the left side the rounds in the bull and the one touching the 9 ring line are from my hard ball shooting at 15 yards. The ones just to the left of the bull are the SWC's and that one guy to the right of the bull(my lu lu). These rounds are shooting a hair to the left apparently.

JWT
11-26-2016, 02:29 AM
My 45 and 38 are both extremely accurate with lead. Even commercial cast.

SierraHunter
11-26-2016, 02:52 AM
I've got a 1911 that I've done a bit of work to, and if I do my part it will shoot that well with cast. My FNX, not so much. Maybe 4".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Hickory
11-26-2016, 03:23 AM
The more skill you acquire, the luckier you get.

sutherpride59
11-26-2016, 03:34 AM
The more skill you acquire, the luckier you get.
im gonna have to use that lol.

Still has anyone else gotten groups like this with a run of the mill commercial pistol like a glock or XD or smith and Wesson revolvers?

JWT
11-26-2016, 03:45 AM
Routinely get one ragged hole accuracy with my S&W model 10 with SWC or DEWC (commercial cast or my work).

My 1911 will do the same but it is heavily customized.

Hickory
11-26-2016, 04:00 AM
im gonna have to use that lol.

Still has anyone else gotten groups like this with a run of the mill commercial pistol like a glock or XD or smith and Wesson revolvers?

I had a S&W 586 no dash that could (off sandbags) put 12 shots on paper that you could cover them with a nickel @ 50 feet. Open sights.
There was a guy at our shooting club that had to have it. I sold it for almost twice what I paid for it, then bought a 686 that shot just as good.

OS OK
11-26-2016, 10:28 AM
Heck that's nuttin...my 1911 stacks em all in one hole every time...don't have a picture cause the muzzle flash keeps setting the target on fire.

runfiverun
11-26-2016, 02:01 PM
it makes things a whole lot easier when you can tune your stuff to your guns liking.

I recall my SIL having a Taurus 40 short and packing it everywhere.
we were up hunting when a grouse popped out so he decided to shoot it after shooting and shooting he hands me the pistol and I just walked up to the bird which had jumped up on a tree branch I got about 10' away lined up the sights with the base of the neck and promptly shot the branch the bird was sitting on.
it was the closest either of us had come to hitting the thing.

fast forward one year, a little measuring, some casting, and some trial and error on the load data.
we are going out bird hunting one afternoon when he decides to use that same pistol instead of the shotgun,
and proceeds to go 4 for 4 on neck/head shots.

Cherokee
11-26-2016, 04:15 PM
1911's with CB's can be very accurate, your groups are not unusual...but it does take skill which you apparently have. Ask any seasoned bullseye shooter.

sutherpride59
11-26-2016, 09:30 PM
it makes things a whole lot easier when you can tune your stuff to your guns liking.

I recall my SIL having a Taurus 40 short and packing it everywhere.
we were up hunting when a grouse popped out so he decided to shoot it after shooting and shooting he hands me the pistol and I just walked up to the bird which had jumped up on a tree branch I got about 10' away lined up the sights with the base of the neck and promptly shot the branch the bird was sitting on.
it was the closest either of us had come to hitting the thing.

fast forward one year, a little measuring, some casting, and some trial and error on the load data.
we are going out bird hunting one afternoon when he decides to use that same pistol instead of the shotgun,
and proceeds to go 4 for 4 on neck/head shots.

hahah I did the same thing deer hunting last year. Mid day there were some grouse on the tree in front of us and they were in season so my buddy shot one that was 6 yards from him with his glock. So I drew my beretta off my hip and shot one off a branch about 25-30yards away. I got his back end but a quick step on the neck finished him. Not granola bars were eaten around the camp fire that night ;)

sigep1764
11-26-2016, 10:38 PM
I only shoot at ten yards, but my glock 19 and cz 75 will make one hole a little smaller than my fist with a gundred rounds. Dont sell the Beretta. She sounds like a keeper.

sutherpride59
11-28-2016, 12:14 PM
Bump h

james nicholson
11-28-2016, 12:44 PM
You nailed it Hickory!

gwpercle
11-28-2016, 01:42 PM
Of course they can be that accurate , when you find "the load" your gun likes !
Write that data down because your gun really likes that load !
4.6 grains of Hogdons Clays.....need to get some of that , maybe my 45's will like it too !
Gary

sutherpride59
11-28-2016, 01:53 PM
It's more of a target load and certainly lighter than factory or full power loads but I will take a 1.58" group at 350fpe over a 4" group at 500fpe