PDA

View Full Version : Struck out today.

Sprue
06-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Took a 150 mile country road/St Hwy (one way) trip for work today. After the job was done I stopped at few maw/paw tire shops on the way back looking for wheel weights. Stopped at 4 different places and...nil.

One of the places I had stopped (scored) before. He told me to come back later on and he would give me more. Well, today when I inquired he told me that a guy had beaten me to them a couple days prior. Said that he guy was making sinkers.......... Drats !

I guess its gonna come down to where I'll have to go suit up and go diving along the river shores and steal bank fishermans sinkers off their lines. Now thats an option.:roll:

The search continues

crabo
06-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Watch out for frog giggers...

Sprue
06-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Watch out for frog giggers...

They need to find their own

montana_charlie
06-17-2008, 11:22 AM
go diving along the river shores and steal bank fishermans sinkers off their lines.
A guy can get hooked, you know...
CM

lead_her_fly
06-22-2008, 06:00 AM
I drive a service van. I found a unique way to get wheel weights. Where I take it for repair work is a tire store too! I just tell them to throw the buckets in the truck and I take the empty ones I brought along. The owner is a little bit of a tightwad and almost wouldn't sell them to me before. Now he has no problem with GIVING them to me!

FWIW

compass will
06-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Well, today when I inquired he told me that a guy had beaten me to them a couple days prior. Said that he guy was making sinkers.......... Drats !

The search continues

Sinkers by butt, he was being "Politically correct". I do tell some people that I am making sinkers. I Don't want to have someone tell me no because they think I am going to shoot Bambie with the wheel weights. :drinks:

jh45gun
06-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Well the catfishing program on The Sportsmans channel does show a segment on casting LARGE sinkers for catfishing. Considering what those larger sinkers would cost to BUY I can see more folks looking for WW to cast large sinkers. Oh and they specifically used WW for their casting on the TV show too as it showed them skimming off the metal clips off the melt. So there could be some competition there.

Jimlakeside
06-23-2008, 09:13 AM
I stopped by my local metal recycling shop and bouth 120lbs of used wheel weights for $.50/lb or $60.00. I have visited nearly all of the tire store in my small town with very little luck in getting WW, so I am happy buying them for $.50/lb.

Tom Herman
06-23-2008, 09:19 AM
I haven't had to buy any yet, as my freebie schemes are still paying off.
The guy at the scrap yard (where I did have to buy scrap lead!) said he had a crap load of WW... he can't get rid of them at 30 cents a pound!
Hope you can get some free or cheaper...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

I stopped by my local metal recycling shop and bouth 120lbs of used wheel weights for $.50/lb or $60.00. I have visited nearly all of the tire store in my small town with very little luck in getting WW, so I am happy buying them for $.50/lb.

targetshootr
06-23-2008, 12:01 PM
All you might ever need is 5 bucketfuls, then when you go to the range pick up as many as you shoot and you break even every trip. And all the bending over is good exercise. Of course there's not much you can do to stop the obsession. I've got more than I'll ever need and still go looking for ww.

:castmine:

Sprue
06-23-2008, 06:45 PM
If you haven't figured it out, I travel 2-300 miles a day around my home state. So the opportunity to score some WW's is fairly good. I travel to the cities as well as very rural areas equally.

So... today wasn't a total loss, I did find about 20lbs free for the taking. It was a good day, as most are regardless. :mrgreen:

As mentioned in the above post;

Every range trip usually harvests a few lbs worth, its been the routine for some time now. As you may know its best to go after a rain storm or shower. It brings lead to the surface. That reminds me, where can you buy a Pan like they use for Panning gold? LOL

It may even eventually come to the point that I have to go digging/shoveling/mining for lead at the range after dark (grin). I think our local range has been in existence since the late 40's or early 50's.

Seriously though, its going to get that bad soon enough. I do have a backup plan.... babbitt. So long as the components are available.

ChuckS1
06-23-2008, 07:10 PM
I take an empty coffee can with me to the range and try to get there 30 minutes before the line goes hot. I can get a couple of cans full of whatever's lying on the berm. Last Sunday I smelted enough to get about 25 lbs of ingots. Guess I'll mix it with my wheel weight ingots and see how it goes.

Mumblypeg
06-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Went to work today and stopped by the office of one of the girls in the county office building. Her husband runs a tire store. She said that I needed to go by the store because he had some wheel weights for me. I stopped at the store and he had a full 5gal. bucket of WW waiting just for me! As I picked them up and put them in my car he made the comment that I was really strong to be able to lift that much weight. I didn't tell him that the sight of all those free WW gave me super human strength! I did say that I might pay for it tomorrow( in my back) and THANK YOU! He also asked if I wanted him to save me any more. I said,"Sure, I guess I could always use a few more." And yes I buy tires from him too. You just never know...