PDA

View Full Version : And the coffee came out my nose.

frkelly74
11-23-2016, 02:28 PM
The boy and I were over at the neighbors helping him get his fence back up, still post Matthew clean up. He has one lung and mostly just kind of supervises and tells us how it used to be when he had his health and we try not to bump him when he gets too near the work. We are happy to help him out when ever we can and he usually is quite appreciative. He is a good friend to us. So just as he is coming out of the house we have to go in to eat lunch and I can not work on his fence this afternoon. And that was when the fun started. The boy is a big eater, Most of them are. He also is not to skilled at eating in mixed company and sometimes bolts his food in a manner that Mom does not approve of. Mom and daughter #2 were discussing the state of the dust on the floor and the need for perhaps some cleaning before the guests arrive for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. Out of the corner of her eye Mom sees the boy stuff in a large chunk of his sandwich and breaks off with daughter #2 to roundly criticize the boy and between the two trains of conversation ( I was just trying to get my lunch eaten) I started to giggle. Between the bounty that is my life and the fact that I was not being roundly criticized the giggle turned to laughter and actual tears came down my cheeks. Mom looked at me like I was crazy and I just couldn't stop and now was stamping my foot on the floor. So daughter #1 pipes up that My blood sugar must have come up, to explain my behavior. So then Mom begins to laugh, and that is when the coffee came out my nose.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-23-2016, 03:29 PM
Nice to hear about a happy family for a change! Best wishes. :)

foesgth
11-23-2016, 07:38 PM
Until you have experienced it, one cannot comprehend the feeding habits of young males. At one time we had 3 teenage boys in the house. We had to use the truck to go grocery shopping. I always assumed the the kid's table on Thanksgiving was to prevent the adults from getting splashed!

jcwit
11-23-2016, 09:29 PM
I remember back in Basic Training we could eat all we wanted,----------in 15/20 minutes.

Parson
11-23-2016, 10:14 PM
I remember back in Basic Training we could eat all we wanted,----------in 15/20 minutes.

I have never been a big eater even in those teen years like my brothers but in boot camp I could not believe how much I could eat in such a short time. Wish I could remember how much of what and in how much time I ate, wrote home and told mom, don't think she believed me but that was 54 years ago and only a faint memory

Ithaca Gunner
11-23-2016, 10:48 PM
Yeah, watching my two younger cousins eat was always good for a laugh. They'd get into some serious wrestling match's over who got the last of what...and they were both poor loosers.

Mk42gunner
11-23-2016, 10:56 PM
You got fifteen whole minutes?

MaryB
11-24-2016, 02:41 AM
I grew up in a family of 5 kids, if you hesitated you might not get something... my brothers could eat half a hamburger in one bite... we used to park them at one end of the table and mom got her hands on some yellow warning tape one year and hung it around them and took a picture. They didn't stop stuffing their faces the entire time! Now I did grow up poor and meat was sometimes scarce so it was grab a share now instead of waiting to maybe take seconds if any was left... family rule was everyone got a serving of reasonable size, then and leftover could be eaten after your plate was cleaned. I couldn't compete with the 2 legged vacuum cleaners eating! So I made sure to take a good sized portion that to me was 2 servings!

frkelly74
11-24-2016, 08:38 AM
My dad decided that a lazy susan was a good idea for the dinner table when there were 5 or 6 of us all wanting to eat. It worked well if you were quick to grab as what you wanted went by. Sometimes things would fall off though. It was a good bit of training for life and an introduction to basic Physics.

Blackwater
11-24-2016, 09:36 AM
It's the "little moments" like this that all tend to remember all their lives. Thanks for sharing. Made me remember a couple of similar incidents in my own life. Always pleasant memories!

imashooter2
11-24-2016, 09:43 AM
I grew up in a family of 5 kids, if you hesitated you might not get something... my brothers could eat half a hamburger in one bite... we used to park them at one end of the table and mom got her hands on some yellow warning tape one year and hung it around them and took a picture. They didn't stop stuffing their faces the entire time! Now I did grow up poor and meat was sometimes scarce so it was grab a share now instead of waiting to maybe take seconds if any was left... family rule was everyone got a serving of reasonable size, then and leftover could be eaten after your plate was cleaned. I couldn't compete with the 2 legged vacuum cleaners eating! So I made sure to take a good sized portion that to me was 2 servings!

Same as my childhood. Dad served from eldest female to youngest male. So I always got served last. I learned how to move a fork!

oscarflytyer
11-24-2016, 10:01 AM
LOL! 5 boys - 12 yrs apart. Had all five at the table at once. And sometimes buddies. Quite a sight! Once, #4 and I were at a restaurant with my mom. 15 yo and just finished a wrestling tnmt. Mom asked why the guy next to us kept staring at her. had to explain he wasn't staring at her, but #4 eating. he finished his dinner and then asked Mom if he could have the 1/2 of hers she left. Recently one of the buddies cam back from the Marines. Don't get your fingers in the way. And now, #5 is in Basic/Army. Was never a big eater. But his letter says he can't stop eating! Went in 5'7"/150 lbs. i told him he will gain 12-15 lbs! I don't even know what my grocery bill was when all 5 were at home, but I do know I bought 4 gals of milk at a time, and about twice a week!

mold maker
11-24-2016, 06:44 PM
My Buddy used to say, "Give me a bite, and move your fingers." A sandwich was two bites, and the second was small.
When my son was a teen and all the neighborhood boys hung out here, some times I had to sniff the oven to see what I had missed for supper. Usually there were only 4-6 greasy plates as evidence.

Artful
11-26-2016, 07:38 AM
I remember I was about 12 years old and had a friend over to the house and my mother had just come home after grocery shopping and put a bunch of banana's on the table - and my friend asked if he could have one - and my mother without thinking said eat as many as you want ...

Poof went the entire bunch of banana's :holysheep