PDA

View Full Version : Heavy for caliber bullet in the 460 S&W

elrotundamundo
11-23-2016, 01:41 PM
A few months ago, my son was mentioning some reading he had done on the internet from people who had experimented with heavy-for-caliber bullets for the.460 S&W and said he would like to try some in his .460 XVR (8 3/8”). He said he would like to try a 500 grain bullet. I told him I would research it and get back to him. His interest is mainly academic, as is mine.

There was little information that I could find and no information with published loads from reliable sources, so I was considering abandoning the idea, but decided to see what Quickload would do with the idea.

Initially, I couldn’t find a 500 grain cast bullet in .452 in any of the bullet files. I downloaded a .bul file from NOE’s website, and used a 500 grain bullet they have at .452 diameter that was designed to be paper patched for the 45-70.

Using that bullet, Quickload told me that 296/H110 and Li’l Gun would be the most efficient powders to use for that bullet with the 8 3/8” barrel.

I decided that, if I was to pursue this project, 296 and H110 would not be my choice,because, lacking published data, I wanted to start out with a load that was under 40,000 PSI according to Quickload, and those powders are not supposed to be used with reduced loads. I then considered Li’l Gun. I wrote an email to Hogdon and asked them if Li’l Gun was safe to use in reduced loads. Their response was not as informative as I would like. He told me that Li’l Gun would “not be as tempermental” as H110/296.

Ultimately, I decided to start with 2400, before trying any of the others, as it would at least give me a point of reference and not be as sensitive to lighter loads.

I then designed and ordered a mold using Mountain Mold’s online software. The bullet, when cast from Lyman #2 alloy, actually weighs 487 grains with gascheck and lube. It has a .340 meplat.

I created a bullet file for this in Quickload and printed out a table of incremented charges using 2400.

I settled on a starting load of 18.9 grains, which Quickload said would peak at 36,443 PSI and leave the barrel at 1129 FPS. This load chronographed somewhat lower, averaging 1072 FPS. Recoil was stout, but manageable.

I worked up a grain at a time to 22 grains. Quickload said it should have a pressure of 53,608 PSI and a velocity of 1273 FPS. Actual velocity averaged 1224FPS. Recoil was very heavy. This is not a fun load to shoot. However,if Idaho ever opens a Cape Buffalo handgun season, we’re set. This load is reminiscent of the original black powder load for 45-70 with the 500 grain bullet.

I think velocity could be increased into the mid 1300s by working up a load with Li’lGun, but I’ll never know because I’m not willing to do the testing.

Pressure is an unknown with these loads, but based on Quickload data and lack of signs of excess pressure, I am comfortable that they are well under maximum SAAMI pressure.

As to practical use, I am sure this load will kill anything in North America and most, if not everything in Africa, but so will the 335 and 395 grain bullets we have previously used. It was a fun and educational project, though.

Moonie
11-23-2016, 03:40 PM
You should try my 440gr 500 magnum load in my 15" encore, it's brutal.

William Yanda
11-23-2016, 08:57 PM
Since you designed and ordered a mold, you probably should have said "our interest 'was' academic.
Good report.
Bill

yondering
11-23-2016, 09:18 PM
Interesting report. I can certainly understand why you don't want to do further testing with that one!

You're right that the lighter bullets in 300-ish gr range are enough, but sometimes the heavy bullet stuff is fun to play with, just because.