PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Old Timers here

Boerrancher
06-15-2008, 10:47 PM
While I was busy hilling my summer squash one handed and the wife was planting the winter squash, I found part of an old copper shell casing. At first I thought it was one of my old 30-30's until I started cleaning it up and was the colour of an old Indian head penny from the 1880's or early 1890's, a nice red copper colour. I dropped it in my shirt pocket and didn't think any more about it while I finished my gardening.

When I got to the house I carefully took an old tooth brush, some warm water and went to work on it, cleaning up the head and primer area. Once I got all of the patina and dirt off of it, I was able to faintly make out 25-35 WCF. Now I know of all of the guns that have been used by the family on this place for nearly the last 100 years, and granddad nor great granddad ever owned a 25-35.

My question that I have is in two parts, when did the 25-35 first come out and in what rifles, and secondly, when did they stop making copper shell casings? :Fire:

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

oneokie
06-15-2008, 11:17 PM
One source I know of says the first Model 1894 Winchester chambered in 25-35 was made 7-18-1895. As to other rifles, I have no idea of which ones would have been chambered for the 25-35.
Re: the case, is it a balloon head? Just a WAG, the copper cases would have been discontinued around WWI.

pumpguy
06-16-2008, 12:52 AM
Send a pm to member W30WCF. He is a bit of a cartridge historian and I bet he would know.

MtGun44
06-16-2008, 01:17 AM
One source says it is a necked down .30-30, introduced for the Win 94
in 1895.

I would think that copper cases had been gone for at least 15 years at that
point. The copper cases I have seen had no external primer pocket and
looked like a rimfire but usually with a couple of stab crimps on the sides of
the case to hold an internal spider to locate the "central fire" primer against
the thin copper case. I may have the zinc etched out by acidic soil conditions
to leave the copper on the surface and make it look coppery. Does it look
brassy if filed or scratched?

Bill

JIMinPHX
06-16-2008, 02:02 AM
Cartridges of the world #9 says that the 25-35WCF came out in 1895 for the Win 94 rifle. It’s listed as an early smokless cartridge & they claim very good accuracy. It also says that Marlin & Savage made lever rifles in that caliber while others here & in Europe made single shots & combo guns. Surprisingly, it says that Winchester still produced ammo in that caliber as of the publication date of that book (2000). They list a 117-grain factory load at 2230fps.

Buckshot
06-16-2008, 02:36 AM
..............I seriously doubt that your 25-35 is a true copper case. As MtGun44 said, I'd think all copper cases would have been dead by the 1880's.

...............Buckshot

Boerrancher
06-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Thank you all for the info. I my if I get to feeling better and get my camera up and running again I will post a photo of it later on today or as soon as I can.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

KCSO
06-17-2008, 10:06 AM
The copper color is probably corrosion discoloration on the case. If you drop the case in a glass of vinegar in a couple of days it will be brass color again.