PDA

View Full Version : USPS money order will not cash?

Blackhawk357
11-20-2016, 04:33 PM
Hello, I need some advise maybe someone else has had a problem with a USPS money order. I sent a USPS money order to a fellow member to purchase an item <$30.00. He PM'd me "Post Office would not cash your MO". "Has a stamp on the back of the MO saying." "Do Not Cash Call Postal Inspection Service." I went to the USPS web site and verified the money order. I tried to check the status of the money order "6401 inquiry" but that reads "no information available for serial number." Has anyone had a similar experience and how it was resolved? Thank you for your response. JM

snowwolfe
11-20-2016, 04:56 PM
Hello, I need some advise maybe someone else has had a problem with a USPS money order. I sent a USPS money order to a fellow member to purchase an item <$30.00. He PM'd me "Post Office would not cash your MO". "Has a stamp on the back of the MO saying." "Do Not Cash Call Postal Inspection Service." I went to the USPS web site and verified the money order. I tried to check the status of the money order "6401 inquiry" but that reads "no information available for serial number." Has anyone had a similar experience and how it was resolved? Thank you for your response. JM

This might be a little late, but why did you send him a money order that had a stamp on the back saying do not cash?

XDROB
11-20-2016, 05:04 PM
Why would they stamp do not cash anyways? And who stamped it?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Artful
11-20-2016, 05:40 PM
Did you write anything firearm related on the money order before sending it?

Oyeboten
11-20-2016, 05:44 PM

That sure is odd..!

I have never heard of anything like this before.

Can you have the recipient email you an image showing the stamp which says do not cash?

and then can you can post the image?

I'd like to see that if possible.

Blackhawk357
11-20-2016, 06:00 PM
I did not write anything firearm related on it. I requested images of the stamp but his reply is that he is going to mail the order and the item to me. I never noticed any stamp on it or I would not have mailed it. Thank you JM

NSB
11-20-2016, 06:04 PM
I've used USPS money orders hundreds of times to buy things. Most were firearm related. The post office could care less what you buy with the money order. The only time I ever had one that they couldn't cash was simply a case where they didn't have enough money in the drawer to cash it. Taking it to the bank is no problem, they'll cash them. If you bought the money order at the post office I'm positive they didn't sell you a money order and then put anything on the back of it saying not to cash it. This whole story is missing a lot of info or it's really been garbled up on the translation.

Skinny
11-20-2016, 06:14 PM
Im leaning towards what NSB has stated above.....i too have taken over a hundred m.o. To the post office to cash ( their money orders) and have never been turned down unless they dont have enough cash combined between the drawers to cash it. That only happened once for a m.o. that was $390... AND it was early in the morning so they didnt have the extra cash.

There are other details either the guy isnt telling you or something is fishy.

quack1
11-20-2016, 06:19 PM
NSB- not all banks will cash them. Mine will only let you deposit them into your account. I asked why, and the teller said the order came from their headquarters, and that there are a lot of counterfeit USPS money orders being passed.

OS OK
11-20-2016, 06:27 PM
Maybe you sent him the flimsy copy of the PMO instead of the hard copy...don't know how you could do that though.

shoot-n-lead
11-20-2016, 06:34 PM
Maybe you sent him the flimsy copy of the PMO instead of the hard copy...don't know how you could do that though.

There is no longer a flimsy/carbon copy of postal money orders...your receipt, now, tears off the top of the money order.

merlin101
11-20-2016, 07:08 PM
Maybe you filled it out wrong? If so then the post office might have picked up on that and then refused to cash it. Could you have reversed the payee and payer info?

MT Gianni
11-20-2016, 07:50 PM
There is no longer a flimsy/carbon copy of postal money orders...your receipt, now, tears off the top of the money order.
I frequently go to PO's in Montana that still use the tear off form and have less than $20 cash before noon to cash a MO with. Life in the sticks.

runfiverun
11-20-2016, 08:19 PM
you'll have to take your receipt and the MO to your PO and ask them what's up.

shooterg
11-20-2016, 08:22 PM
MY PO never cashes 'em. Can't even buy a roll of stamps with a hundred dollar bill, no change ! What a business model !

tomme boy
11-20-2016, 08:25 PM
I have had a really anal PO worker that would not cash one because of how it was filled out. It was made out to Tom instead of Thomas which is what my name is. I wait till another PO worker was available and cashed it with them. It seems to happen with this same person all the time. I just wait till the other person opens up and go to them.

All of the counter people at this PO know who I am and none of them but this one actually asked to see my drivers license. I was in there sometimes 4 times a day mailing out packages, guns, brass. This same person tried to tell me that I could not ship a rifle one time and I had to set her straight. She still would not listen so I had one of the other gals go in the back and get the Postmaster. She got straightened around after that.

alamogunr
11-20-2016, 08:52 PM
Every time something like this comes up about the USPS, horror stories are related about recalcitrant(I bet they don't know what that means) postal employees. I'm lucky. Our local post office is staffed by very reasonable people.

BTW, I once sent a USPS MO in payment for something firearm related(don't remember what) but was in a hurry and sent both the MO and the tear off receipt. The payee sent the receipt back in the box with the item.

WILCO
11-20-2016, 10:13 PM

My best advice is to call the P.I.S. as directed by the stamp.

ol skool
11-20-2016, 10:17 PM
Send the fellow a Wal-Mart MO and have him send the USPS MO back. Take it into the PO you bought it from and tell them to refund your money. Be sure to have your receipt. Don't leave until the public servant figures it out.

Remember the most use word by a public servant is 'no'. You should expect resolution.

If that fails ask the public servant for their name and write your Congressman. Include all details and photocopies.

michael.birdsley
11-21-2016, 01:57 AM

Actually this is not true. The last money order I bought had the carbon on the back. But, this was at a very rural small post office. This was probably 2 weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoot-n-lead
11-21-2016, 02:04 AM
Actually this is not true. The last money order I bought had the carbon on the back. But, this was at a very rural small post office. This was probably 2 weeks ago.

It is true...you just got old stock money orders...they haven't printed those carbon copy money orders in over 5yrs.

bubba.50
11-21-2016, 02:13 AM

they still have the carbon paper in the ones I get at my local post office. the big office in town has the new ones with tear-off receipt.

shoot-n-lead
11-21-2016, 02:20 AM
they still have the carbon paper in the ones I get at my local post office. the big office in town has the new ones with tear-off receipt.

There are still a few offices that don't have the printer required to print the new money orders, they still use the manual money order printers...but, those offices are still working off old stock.

bubba.50
11-21-2016, 03:20 AM
There are still a few offices that don't have the printer required to print the new money orders, they still use the manual money order printers...but, those offices are still working off old stock.

small as my community is my great-grandchildren will likely still get the carbon paper with their money orders [smilie=l:

Ballistics in Scotland
11-21-2016, 05:34 AM
Some years ago I bought a Schmidt-Rubin rifle in a US internet auction (the 1889, and therefore antique in both countries) and was told the post office wouldn't accept it. After much arguing it emerged that he was selling it for a friend, who had adopted a don't-talk-to-me attitude over some unrelated issue. Why he needed talked to, or whether he had even tried the post office, will remain a mystery forever. I dealt tactfully with his interpersonal difficulties and got it eventually, and a couple of days ago a Webley revolver without the slightest formalities anywhere, from Track of the Wolf.

If there isn't an untold story in the OP's case, could that stamp on the back be a device to restrict the order to payment into an account - possibly little known as little needed by anybody? It could be that either the OP or the clerk has accidentally triggered what ought to be an option.

alamogunr
11-21-2016, 10:15 AM

We have a fairly small post office too but the county also has a significant Latino population. On Friday's there is a line waiting to purchase money orders to send home. I learned a long time ago to do my post office business earlier in the week, mornings if possible.

Outpost75
11-21-2016, 11:30 AM
My advice is to go to the Postal Inspection service and YOU ask them to investigate.

They have no sense of humor when it comes to fraud, scams and nonsense, and they will get to the bottom of it.

MT Gianni
11-21-2016, 11:58 AM
It is true...you just got old stock money orders...they haven't printed those carbon copy money orders in over 5yrs.
According to the PO at the county seat, they have not been given the upgrade to go with a newer printer. June 2016.

xdsc40
11-21-2016, 10:03 PM
Alot of uses mo have been counterfeit
Did you buy it at post office if so go talk to them

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MaryB
11-22-2016, 11:28 PM
My PO is still using carbon copy money orders. They have about 10,000 of them in the back according to my mail guy. In my town that will last 100 years... former post master ordered them every month if they needed them or not... but when I ordered a flat of priority mail boxes she always argued I didn't need 25 of them...

Geezer in NH
11-23-2016, 12:53 AM
Bad MO do to the Postal clerk stealing the payment and making the PMO # as stolen perhaps???

My bank checks all PMO before accepting them for deposit due to this problem the .GOV does not want known.

Mk42gunner
11-23-2016, 01:08 AM
My advice is to go to the Postal Inspection service and YOU ask them to investigate.

They have no sense of humor when it comes to fraud, scams and nonsense, and they will get to the bottom of it.
Best advice so far, in my opinion.

Robert

SSGOldfart
11-23-2016, 01:56 AM
Now days they can check out a MO using a ultraviolet light They have a special ultraviolet water mark and a coded strip on the front of it. If you try to cash one without the coded strip the Clark will stamp it, so when you get upset and leave the area with said money order nobody else will cash it. Call your post office.

Good luck

Blackhawk357
12-03-2016, 11:32 PM
Thank you for everyone that replied to my thread. The seller sent me an PM that he was able to cash the money order and shipped me the items I purchased. He offered no explanation how he was able to cash it. So it transaction worked out in the end but, I am still not sure what went on.

Green Ghost
12-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Thank you for writing a follow up. I read a lot of threads and quite a few just die in the middle. I'm glad you got resolution even if you didn't get the answer you were looking for.

Jerry

georgerkahn
12-05-2016, 09:21 AM
A while back I had a money-order-refusal from a site member who apparently carried about the postal m.o. for about a month. To make a very long story -- with sour tastes still remaining -- short -- the recipient's attempt to redeem m.o. was denied due to the (ultraviolet?) machine at post office (to prevent frauds) inability to read data on money order, invisibly "printed" when I had purchased it. Whether it went through the laundry or ????, the Post Office told recipient he'd have to come back Monday -- his attempt was quite late on a Friday afternoon -- and, on Monday they'd MANUALLY process the money order. (On a side note, the Person-in-Charge at post office indicated the lowest denomination of a fraudulent m.o. he'd ever encountered was in the $800.00 range -- it would be ludicrous and then some for anyone to attempt a "thirty buck counterfeit" with the SEVERE penalties associated.) Anyway, the individual in fact went back to his post office on Monday; it was manually processed' and, he got his money. My suspicion is for whatever reason the "invisible printing" was not readable by their machine -- hey, could have even been a fault of said machine -- and it was then refused and stamped. Then, later, upon manual processing it was redeemed.
Just my thoughts, based on my experience, re what may have happened.
geo

leadman
12-05-2016, 01:09 PM
The PO I use here in Phoenix will not cash one of their own mos'. Glad the member here is trusting you with the item and is sending it to you along with the mo so you can get it straightened out.

Blackhawk357
12-08-2016, 06:13 PM
I had an "ah ha" moment today as I purchased another USPS money order for a cast boolits wallet from Mike. The clerk stamps the back of any money order if it is less than 50.00$ "do not cash if money order is over 50.00$". This is to help prevent forging the amount on the money order. It is a new policy for the Post office. I hope my story helps everyone avoid problems of their own that uses USPS money orders.