PDA

View Full Version : 2016 buck, not with cast

richhodg66
11-20-2016, 03:15 PM
My second year with the crossbow since Kansas legalized them during archery season. I've been spending every Saturday or Sunday on stand all day for the past months or so thinking the rut would bring a good one by, but have had a parade of two year old dinks every time, hardly any does even.

Last night was better. Had this guy come in at dusk. Not huge, but no dink either. Unfortunately, I hit him with the first arrow poorly, threw the shot high and slightly right on a broadside shot with broke his spine. He managed to crawl way down into a deep, rocky ravine that was stacked up with big cedar trees that had blown down in one of our storms. Needles to say, it was very difficult in the dark and thick stuff to shoot hi again, and I shot him twice more through the chest which finished him.

Message to everybody, work with whatever you're using until you're sure of it in any condition. I haven't practiced as much as I should with this crossbow, and never did it from an elevated platform to see how it affects trajectory. Could be I pulled the shot, but it didn't feel like it, and I think the high hit was a result of the downward angle.

Thumbcocker
11-20-2016, 03:32 PM
Congratulations. Thank you for following up and doing what needed doing to finish things.

MDC
11-20-2016, 06:26 PM
that's a good mature buck. Nice thick bases.

shoot-n-lead
11-20-2016, 06:36 PM
Nice buck!

slim1836
11-20-2016, 07:12 PM
Good follow through, finding him, finishing him, and putting meat in the freezer.

Slim

hc18flyer
11-20-2016, 11:44 PM
Good job and Congratulations , nice looking buck!

35 shooter
11-21-2016, 12:52 AM
Very nice buck! Yeah, i hate the spine shots, but in archery, it happens sometimes. I've had them duck right into it before trying to "jump the string".
Definitely takes a finishing shot then.

4719dave
11-24-2016, 11:30 AM
Congrats on the buck and not giving up .It's sad about all the shots practice is a must .I've always practice out of my stand being up is a whole different angle

skeettx
11-24-2016, 11:38 AM
Thank you for sharing and the words of caution
Mike

Got-R-Did
12-01-2016, 03:31 AM
Nicely Done! Yes, there is the same issue as shooting with rifles at extreme angles up or down hill. This is the reason many new range finders have a built in inclinometer to give true distance. The linear distance between you and your target is actually closer than the distance along line of sight. Sounds counter intuitive, but it is true. Hardest thing to teach the concept to the Pre-Emptive Tactical Marksmen in my Dept.
Got-R-Did.

CastingFool
12-01-2016, 10:29 PM
Congrats on the buck. Fresh venison is always good!

TXGunNut
12-06-2016, 10:57 PM
Good buck, good job! Congrats!

smokeater
12-09-2016, 12:08 AM
Congratulations! A true trophy. Any time a hunter is successful, it is a trophy, be it a deer, hog, quail or whatever. Growing up I hunted rabbits/squirrels and was thrilled to bag a rabbit after a long chase from my beagle. To me, it is all about the hunt and enjoying God's magnificent creation and creatures

white eagle
12-09-2016, 03:58 PM
nice Buck for sure
yeah the elevation makes the archer shoot high
just the way it works out