PDA

View Full Version : Successful Hunt for casting equipment today

commando223
11-19-2016, 08:13 PM
I hit a Flea Market and some garage sales today and found some stuff I've been needing for casting. I can't wait to start cleaning up the scrap lead I have and make some corn and cactus ingots. :mrgreen:

https://s18.postimg.org/dv5vf2rgp/IMG_20161119_164438.jpg

Nick Quick
11-19-2016, 08:15 PM
I'm all red of envy.

4719dave
11-19-2016, 09:30 PM
nice pickins

Hamish
11-19-2016, 09:43 PM
That's only the second of the pan on the left that I've ever seen. Nice! (I've got the first one,,,,,,)

rancher1913
11-19-2016, 10:18 PM
the 2 on the left work good but the one on the right you might have a hard time fitting in your casting pot.

runfiverun
11-19-2016, 10:50 PM
I think that one on the left is all you'll need.

RogerDat
11-19-2016, 10:55 PM
Consider giving the catus one to the wife if you have one. She will think it's neat muffin tin for cornbread with chili and they are a bit of an awkward shape for storage or feeding into a pot.

Don't ignore muffin/cup cake tins, can find those cheap like less than $1 and they make nice puck shaped ingots. Just remember always test one cup first and make sure the pucks don't stick, real PITA to have filled 12 of them and find out when they harden that the pan metal is porous and the lead bonded with the cups as it hardened and is stuck - no I do NOT want to talk about how I know this. Bread loaf pans are good for slabs used for bulk storage, 4 ladles full make about a 12# slab and they stack nice.

You about to have a good time!

Mytmousemalibu
11-20-2016, 01:00 AM
The one in between the casting pot and the cornbread.... That looks like a Wagner breadstick pan. If it's in good shape, those do have a little value to the cast iron crowd. If it's an earlier one and good shape, probably $100 or more.

commando223
11-20-2016, 01:04 AM
The one in between the casting pot and the cornbread.... That looks like a Wagner breadstick pan. If it's in good shape, those do have a little value to the cast iron crowd. If it's an earlier one and good shape, probably $100 or more.

Wow I would have never guessed it could be worth that much I got it at a garage sale from a little old lady she just said it was very old.

Mytmousemalibu
11-20-2016, 01:21 AM
Wow I would have never guessed it could be worth that much I got it at a garage sale from a little old lady she just said it was very old.

Yeah, that stuff has a big following these days, by myself included! Some of the rare cast iron brings big bucks! Breadstick pans aren't terribly common so they are more desireable than other items. All dependent on model/age/condition. I would do a little checking to see what you've got. If it's not one worth a whole lot, no big deal, the rarer versions might be worth selling and you can always get replacement fodder and stuff cash in your pocket.

Butts
11-20-2016, 01:59 PM
Mytmousemalibu beat me to it. Look at the back of it and see if there are any markings. Might be made by Wagner or Griswold. You should be able to sell it and make your money back and then some. If it has a name on there and some numbering I can look it up for you and let you know what it might be worth.

copdills
11-20-2016, 03:29 PM
Nick Quick said it all

GOPHER SLAYER
11-21-2016, 02:54 PM
I have one of the old cast iron bread stick pans but I don't see any markings on it. I also have two cast iron muffin pans as well as an old cast iron Dutch oven.

gwpercle
11-21-2016, 06:41 PM
I'm going to go home and find that mini ear of corn , cornbread stick pan I bought at a flea market while on vacation, I was going to use it for lead ingots, but it might be worth something.
I unpacked and stuck it on a shelf , still wrapped up.....I forgot I had it until I read this !
Gary

Butts
11-21-2016, 10:25 PM
The Wagner on the top right is a great pan to cook with after seasoning or could sell for a good price. The breakfast/egg pan in the top middle is also a good pan to sell after it has been cleaned up. PM me if you have any questions.

Fishman
11-22-2016, 11:10 AM
Guys, to a cast iron lover, these pictures of vintage pans used to melt lead and left to rust is the equivalent of Using a pre 64 Winchester for a fence post. It's your stuff but I admire the restraint of the posters here. I personally use a $5 stainless pot from harbor freight.

commando223
11-22-2016, 11:18 AM
Guys, to a cast iron lover, these pictures of vintage pans used to melt lead and left to rust is the equivalent of Using a pre 64 Winchester for a fence post. It's your stuff but I admire the restraint of the posters here. I personally use a $5 stainless pot from harbor freight.

Yeah now I'm starting to think twice about using them. All I really wanted was the cast iron pot for lead I wasn't expecting to find the pans. I don't really need to use those since I do have a cheap Walmart cupcake pan that will work but I do plan to use the pot.

RogerDat
11-22-2016, 01:12 PM
For what it is worth pot heats lead faster with a lid. Harbor Freight has Dutch ovens for pretty cheap..... Hold an easy 120# of lead, assuming the burner under it can handle the weight. I have run a few thousand pounds through mine and it still works ;-)

I picked up a cast iron bean pot for around $5 and couldn't make myself use it for lead. I can use any old junk pot, no point in wrecking a good cooking pot. Passed it on to someone that will no doubt be making chili every fall in it. Probably over a camp fire.

GOPHER SLAYER
11-22-2016, 03:24 PM
I never put lead in any of the pans I pictured. I bought them in a yard sale several years ago because they were cheap.

bajacoop
11-23-2016, 09:31 AM
I found academy sports has pretty cheap cast iron stuff. I bought a 14" dutch oven for smelting for about $40.

41magjh
11-25-2016, 08:33 PM
Cammando223 the one on the left my mother got that one. She/ they fry catfish in it when they have fish frays back home in Texas

kidmma
11-26-2016, 05:32 PM
I got a Chinese made dutch oven to smelt in. Some of the same vintage corn molds too.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=50768&thumb=1&d=1403145263

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=50766&thumb=1&d=1403145263