PDA

View Full Version : If ?? Help please!

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
06-15-2008, 04:48 PM
If you guys didnt cast your own bullets and was to buy them from someone that did, Who would you recommend? I dont shoot enough to justify making my own at least not yet. Im looking for 45 cal .452 300-400 grains

Thanks!!

crabo
06-15-2008, 05:19 PM
http://www.montanabulletworks.com/

I had been shooting other people's cast boolits for years. I always bought from a guy at the matches who sold out reloading supplies out of his truck. I would also buy from a reloading supply store, when I needed some in a hurry.

Then I became more interested than just shooting the boolits recommended by the people I was buying from.( what they carried in stock)

Montana or some of the other suppliers will tell you the mold they use and you can buy enough different boolits to see what you gun likes. Different guns like different boolits.

Different games require different accuracy requirements. The 357 shooter that is shooting speed steel plates at 10-20 yards will have different accuracy requirements that the shooter who is shooting hunters pistol at 100 meters. This is a very big thing to keep in mind when you ask for favorite loads and boolits. You need to know what you are going to do with the boolit.

Read the sticky's. They are a great source of information and will often keep you from wading through a lot of material.

If you ask for a boolit recommendation, make sure you tell the guys what the situation is that you are going to use the boolit for. Is it going to be used in a rifle or pistol? Hunting, target, or plinking load. I bet someone here has already done that.

Crabo

dromia
06-15-2008, 05:19 PM
One of the reasons I cast is because no one makes the bullets I want the way I want them.

I shoot mainly rifle now so I need to be bit more picky than when I used to shoot pistol.

Even then my cast always out shot bought cast.

Sorry not to be able to answer your question the way you'd intended.

That said you may want to try Bullshop, haven't used their boolits but found them good to deal with on other items.

Dan is one of us, posts here and certainly knows his stuff.

Link at the bottom of the page.

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
06-15-2008, 05:34 PM
I am looking for a handgun bullet for elk hunting. It will be for my 460 S&W. Are most of the commercial bullet makers the same on quality?

Down South
06-15-2008, 06:53 PM
I haven't bought that many cast boolits. I've heard good things about most commercial casters and bad things about a few. You might want do a search over on the High Road or somewhere like that for info on store bought cast boolits. Most of the folks here roll their own. A little searching here and there should give you an idea of who you would like to buy from.
Like mentioned above, Bullshop has some great products. He has a link at the bottom of the page.

nicholst55
06-15-2008, 07:39 PM
As a very general rule, MOST commercial cast boolits are TOO HARD; so is the lube they use. Most generally offer boolits in only one diameter for each caliber - great if it happens to be the one you need, otherwise not so good. Most offer only bevel base boolits in handgun designs. Some of them tend to cast undersize, too. There are reasons for all of this, and they have to do with efficiency and cost. If you shop around you can find commercial casters (Bullshop among them) who offer boolits in both different diameters and hardness.

I have some others bookmarked on my personal PC, but I'm at work now.

waksupi
06-15-2008, 07:39 PM
I would check out Bullshop. Aside from being a board sponsor, with a link on the bottom of the page, he can supply you with various hardnesses, diameters, and lube options. Keep the money in the circle!

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
06-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks guys! I checked out Bullshop and he isnt making bullets till Oct. I just want to shoot this sarn gun I got here. Its still new after 6 weeks.

shooter93
06-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Mt. Baldy Baldy Bullet Company. Various alloys and sizes. Excellent bullets. They have a website.

shooter93
06-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Oops...just Mount Baldy Bullet Company

MtGun44
06-16-2008, 01:36 AM
+1 on Mt. Baldy. I have used their bullets to test a mold in several cases.
Quality castings.

Bill

Whitespider
06-16-2008, 08:20 AM
Before I started casting my own (not that long ago) I had a shootin' buddy cast mine. Use ta' buy commercial but was never completely satisfied. I asked around to find some local casters and contacted them, found one that was willing. Actually he enjoyed the "casting" more than the "shooting" and sold them to me darn reasonable. I would take him "free" lead whenever I had some (spent bullets, WW's, pipe, flashing, whatever). If he wasn't casting the bullet or diameter I wanted I'd buy a mold (or sizing die) and take it to him. The nice thing about this arrangement was that he would vary alloy and/or diameter at my request. Also, it was great to have his experience at my disposal, if I was having (for example) a leading issue I could talk it over with him and we'd make a decision together (like alloy or boolit size). Fact is, at first he had a real hard time convincing me to use softer alloys than the commercial stuff, at that time I believed softer meant barrel leading.

Bass Ackward
06-16-2008, 10:42 AM
We also have Jerry that goes by the KY Caster. But shipping is what kills ya.

Took me awhile to figure out that Jerry's handle actually meant that he was in Kentucky. :grin: That's what happens when you live in the gutter.

BABore
06-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Check out Beartooth Bullets.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/

Marshall casts his bullets from a good alloy that has a much lower antimony content than most. It's pretty close to 70% WW's and 30% Pb and heat treated. His lube is also very good for a harder lube. It's his own mix and not just Crayon's. He can be somewhat a pain on deliveries as he casts per order alot. Worth the wait and excellent hunting bullets. Give him a call and he can help you with size and style.

leftiye
06-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Bass, I prefer under a bridge, much more comfortable. Little fire, little bottle! Comfortable.

Cherokee
06-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Penn Bullets is good but delivery might be slow. Go to Pennbullets.com

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
06-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Check out Beartooth Bullets.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/

Marshall casts his bullets from a good alloy that has a much lower antimony content than most. It's pretty close to 70% WW's and 30% Pb and heat treated. His lube is also very good for a harder lube. It's his own mix and not just Crayon's. He can be somewhat a pain on deliveries as he casts per order alot. Worth the wait and excellent hunting bullets. Give him a call and he can help you with size and style.

I live about 5 miles from them and they wont let me pick up. mAIL ORDER ONLY. So it cost the same to deliver them to me 5 miles away as it does from Alaska, So I decided to pass.