PDA

View Full Version : Taking a trip on Saturday for a 1873

Babbott213
11-17-2016, 11:59 PM
Looks like I'll finally get to see that 1873 that I've been talking about for the past several months. Taking cash with me for in case I like it. Manufactured in 1879 and chambered in 44-40. I went ahead and picked up a box of shells today also. Had to do some calling but I found a store that had them in stock. Cowboy loads.

I took 5 cartridges apart with my impact pulled and dumped the powder. Deprimed 3 of them and re-flared the case mouths and reseated the bullets to the correct depth and re-crimped as tight as I could as I do not have dies for 44-40. I was able to get enough crimp by using my 44mag dies. With some adjustment I made it work. [emoji51][emoji51].

These will be used to make sure that the rifle cycles the rounds without using live rounds. The last two cases I left the primers intact and the bullets in the lead bin. I'll use the two primed cases to ensure that the gun fires or at least sets off the primers.

Anyone see any issues with this for testing out the rifle. I'm meeting him in an area that is about halfway for the both of us for driving distance so I figure we will be in a back part of a parking lot anyway. Might look for a gun shop to meet at if possible though. I'll have to do some calling tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tatume
11-18-2016, 08:39 AM
Even firing only primers makes a loud noise. You should be very careful about where you do it. Some people, in some places, take a very dim view of discharging firearms. Right or wrong, you really don't want to get arrested.

ajjohns
11-18-2016, 08:56 AM
Good luck! I hope you can make the deal. Good idea with the dummy rounds, as stated above be careful where you discharge so your cash doesn't go to pay a fine lol. I hope everything works out for you.

Babbott213
11-18-2016, 09:29 AM
We're not meeting within any city limits. We'll be in an rural area, so firing a primer will not be an issue. But I think I've found a outdoor range, so it looks like I'll be able to fire some live ammo instead. Waiting on them to open so I can call and see what the rates are and to make sure it's not a pistol only range. Fingers crossed.

ajjohns
11-18-2016, 12:45 PM
In that case, good. But you may want to bring a cleaning rod with for the barrel before you fire it. No telling how fouled it is.

Scharfschuetze
11-18-2016, 12:53 PM
In that case, good. But you may want to bring a cleaning rod with for the barrel before you fire it. No telling how fouled it is.

Good advice that. It's SOP for me to do the same before buying any used gun. I have a kit in my gun show back pack that also has bore mirrors, magnifying glass and gauges.

I hope that the 1873 turns out to be a keeper for you.

Babbott213
11-18-2016, 12:59 PM
I have all my inspection tools ready for the trip. Bore Scope and all. She's a Lever Scharfschuetze. I would love a trap door though. Might be next on the list.

ajjohns
11-18-2016, 01:06 PM
Happy happy! As I said, I hope you can make the deal. They are a real fun piece to have and shoot.

Shawlerbrook
11-18-2016, 01:45 PM
Good luck ! Can't wait for the pictures.

w30wcf
11-18-2016, 01:54 PM
.....I took 5 cartridges apart with my impact pulled and dumped the powder. Deprimed 3 of them and re-flared the case mouths and reseated the bullets to the correct depth and re-crimped as tight as I could as I do not have dies for 44-40. I was able to get enough crimp by using my 44mag dies. With some adjustment I made it work. [emoji51][emoji51].

These will be used to make sure that the rifle cycles the rounds without using live rounds. The last two cases I left the primers intact and the bullets in the lead bin. I'll use the two primed cases to ensure that the gun fires or at least sets off the primers.

Anyone see any issues with this for testing out the rifle. I'm meeting him in an area that is about halfway for the both of us for driving distance so I figure we will be in a back part of a parking lot anyway. Might look for a gun shop to meet at if possible though. I'll have to do some calling tomorrow.

Babbott213,
I hope the '73 works out aok for you. One thing - using the .44 Mag die to crimp may have changed the diameter on the case body since the .44-40 has a larger body dia. Also, the neck diameter of the .44-40 is smaller than the .44 Magnum so the mouth of the case that was expanded may be a bit oversized and, if so, may give some resistance chambering. I would suggest taking a couple of factory rounds, just in case.

That being said, chambers and barrels in the b.p. era (1873-1895) can vary a bit. My'73 made in 1882 has an oversized groove diameter of .435" and an oversized chamber neck diameter as well. By comparison, a friend has a '73 made the same year with a .426" groove diameter and a minimum chamber.

Good luck!

w30wcf

Babbott213
11-18-2016, 02:02 PM
w30wcf, I did check those measurements actually. I compared the length and the case diameter to one of the factory rounds. I did deform the first one, but the other three came out just fine. It's not a strong crimp, but enough as where the bullet shouldn't set back any. I hope anyway. But since I'll be at a gun range now, I can just use some live ammo instead. If I get it, next on the list will be dies for it and some starline brass and some boolits to load. Out of ingenuity the 44 dies worked in a crude kind of fashion though. Just had to run the crimp adjuster all the way down so not a lot of the case went into the die, but just enough to get some roll into the brass to hold the boolit.

One thing I will be doing is slugging it to see what the actual size is though. That's for all of the support. Never bought a gun of this character before. Fingers Crossed.

Babbott213
11-19-2016, 03:37 PM
Well, she's mine! Photos will come later on once I can get her home and get some decent pictures. The rifling looks very good and very little pitting in the barrel. The wood looks to be in great condition as well. This gun was taken care of over the years.

Tatume
11-20-2016, 08:57 AM
Over the years there have been several good articles on loading the 44-40. One in particular written by Mike Venturino describes the difference in shape of factory ammo versus the chambers found in most guns. The location of the shoulder is the primary concern. Tracking down this article would be worthwhile. I wish I had better information, but someone here will surely know the issue number of Handloader magazine in which it appeared.