PDA

View Full Version : Modern Webley Bullets From Accurate Molds

Outpost75
11-17-2016, 11:40 AM
Over several years I have been working with Tom Ellis at Accurate Molds to develop a series of long-nosed .45 Auto Rim and Webley bullets having tapered, bore-riding nose which contribute to engraved body length. A common feature is that they all have a short band section to minimize seating depth in the .455 and .45 AR brass. Base diameter is .452 because this fits the cylinder throats of my Webley MkVI, Ruger Old Army with Kirst .45 ACP conversion, which also works fine with .455s, as well as in the Ruger Vaquero and Blackhawks.

The long nose exceeds SAAMI length in .45 Colt brass, but fits in longer Ruger cylinders. Loaded into Schofield brass, these bullets fit in original Colts, but the design intent was to produce a flat-nosed bullet for field shooting which has better knockdown power at suitable .455 and Auto Rim velocities below 700 fps. in the older guns.

I found these bullets to be more accurate and effective, as well as easier to cast than the traditional 265-grain Mk I and Mk II hollow-based bullets. I wanted people to know that these designs are in the Accurate catalog, covering a useful range of bullet weights, as needed to zero with your fixed sights, for those seeking better performance over tradition.

I use a charge of 3.5 grains of Bullseye in the Mk VI .455 Webley, 4 grains of Bullseye in the S&W M1917 .45 Auto Rim, 5 grains of Bullseye in the .45 Schofield and 6 grains of Bullseye in the .45 Colt Ruger Vaquero.

Diameters may be adjusted when you order to fit your revolver or cowboy rifle when you order.

w30wcf
11-17-2016, 11:26 PM
Ed,
Great designs! Great looking bullets! :-)
If Webley had come up with those designs instead of the man stopper bullets, they would have been better off and the bullets would likely not have been banned as the man stopper bullets were.

w30wcf

runfiverun
11-17-2016, 11:35 PM
that 240 is just a click longer on the nose than the mold I use in my 45 AR revolvers, which weighs about 230grs in real world weights.
just like you said an elongated nose design.
this little feature you added is great for aligning the boolits nose in the barrel while the back half is still in the cylinder.

I think these designs and how they work in revolvers/pistols, and lever guns are lost on many people.