PDA

View Full Version : NRA Moving National High Power Rifle Championships from Camp Perry

M-Tecs
11-17-2016, 12:40 AM
https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2016/11/16/nra-moving-national-high-power-rifle-championships-from-camp-perry/#.WC0qscwS6E4.facebook

In an effort to keep the National High Power Rifle Championships up to the high standards that competitors have enjoyed for over one-hundred years, the NRA will move the Championship from its historic home at Camp Perry, OH, to Camp Atterbury, IN (http://www.atterburymuscatatuck.in.ng.mil/). This change in venue will take effect during the 2017 National Matches, pending approval by the NRA Board of Directors in January 2017.

Dennis Willing, director of NRA Competitive Shooting explained the decision.

“The NRA High Power Rifle Committee met and determined it would be beneficial to all competitors if we moved the Championship from Camp Perry to another site. After much discussion, the range at Camp Atterbury, IN, was selected as the new home of the NRA National High Power Rifle Championships.”

The proposed match schedule (subject to change) is below:

-First Shot Ceremony - July 7
-Welcome BBQ (afternoon) - July 7
-Across the Course - July 8-13
-Mid-Range - July 14-17
-Long-Range - July 18-22

Willing added, “I intend to change the face of High Power Rifle as a discipline, and will be presenting matches that are better than competitors have ever seen before.”

Since Across the Course is scheduled to end on July 13th, there will be sufficient time for competitors to attend the CMP National Trophy Matches.

The NRA Smallbore Prone Championship is scheduled to end with sufficient time for competitors to leave Bristol, IN, and come to Camp Atterbury to compete in Mid-Range Prone and Long-Range Prone. The NRA National Pistol Championship will remain at Camp Perry but will be held July 9-14, 2017, following previous year's practice.

The Camp Atterbury Joint Maneuver Training Center is administered by the Indiana National Guard, and has just under 35,000 acres of training and maneuver space—plenty of room in case the NRA decides to expand beyond the High Power Rifle Championships. Additionally, Camp Atterbury is home to several active U.S. Army components, including several from the First Army Division East. The site also provides various training and testing sites for military and civilian responders from around the world.

Check back with SSUSA often for the latest NRA National Matches updates.

mtnman31
11-17-2016, 06:36 PM
Not sure how I feel about that. I would like to know why it is moving. What was broke that needed fixing? I'll be attending the CMP nationals next summer and am interested in the impact it will have on the CMP matches.

Hickory
11-17-2016, 06:47 PM
One of the problems that has plagued Camp Perry over the years is that boats wandering into the impact area on Lake Erie.

Echo
11-17-2016, 07:23 PM
When the Depot was open next door, I remember seeing huge splashes blossoming up in Lake Erie. Kind of disconcerting when one is shooting Timed or Rapid fire. They rebuilt Army cannons there..

M-Tecs
11-17-2016, 07:45 PM
I won't miss the boats in the impact area or the lake effect fog, but, I will miss the tradition. Beating on how may Seagulls got hit during Rattle Battle was fun. I also like wood roller coasters so my guess I will never go to Cedar Point again.

MUSTANG
11-17-2016, 07:48 PM
If they are foolish enough to ignore the NTM's (Notice to Mariners) that are published, and the Notices on charts of impact areas, then let them suffer the consequences. This on the surface appears to be once again the issue of long term existing ranges being shut down due to new and emerging usage by peoples that could care less about pre-existing operations. It has happened time and time again; the relocation of ranges in Carson City Nevada and Las Vegas comes to mind With those relocations (to benefit developers) new and onerous usage requirements crept in for those who used the ranges. Often times the anti-gunners are at the root of these closures/relocations.

We should DEMAND that the same previous use conditions apply that governs decisions associated with Transportation. The priorities there are Trails, Waterways, Rail, and then Roads - because that's the way that Transportation was established in this country. Let the "New Comers" seek elsewhere to ply their diversions.

country gent
11-17-2016, 10:15 PM
Over the years Ive heard they were going to The NRA center at Raton, Atterbury, and latley the new CMP DCM range ( reason no pit duty there). Wih the lose of the mess hall a few years ago and some other buildings) and the shape commercial row and some buildings are in maybe. But they have been rebuilding upgrading the Hut ments and modulars along with the fairly new convention center / hotel. With the numbers dropping the last few years for Accross the coarse and cmp alot more ranges can handle them now. Several years when I competed there were 1300+ competitors in presidents and Individual trophy.

Gus Youmans
11-17-2016, 10:43 PM
CMP announcement came out today about Camp Perry was very interesting. http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1105372907623&ca=982e51af-a116-4d35-9cbb-6c211f4fc000

Gus Youmans

bruce drake
11-17-2016, 11:03 PM
Its getting to be a pretty bad pissing match going on in the highpower forums I'm a member on. Some folks on the side of the NRA who are fed up with dealing with all the Games Matches that the CMP is throwing in to clog up a very small window of support from the Camp Perry officials, and some folks who are chasing their Distinguished Shooter Badges are siding with the CMP in order to keep their quests for the badge valid. Some are even talking about the tradition of always being at Perry...until I reminded them that the National Matches started and were held in the NY/NJ region for more than 20 years before moving to Perry...
and there is a fight right now brewing as to who will really retain the title of National Championships...The NRA will of course call their matches at Atterbury to be THE National Matches while CMP will be trying to assert that they have the legitimacy to use the title because they have a federal mandate to supervise civilian firearms training...
Me...I've already told my wife that her and the boys can go on the already planned family vacation with the in-laws to KY the week that the NRA matches are being held at Atterbury. Me, I intend to shoot the matches for the first time in my life since its now in my backyard. The CMP Matches that start the week after, I'll be back in the office.
Finally, I hope that the animosity that some folks are seeing between the two organizations be nothing more than a little smoke because, the NRA provides a great time with the local gun clubs while the CMP gives people opportunity to purchase M1 Garands without a painful hit to the wallet while also providing fun matches with vintage rifles of the world.

shooterg
11-18-2016, 08:58 PM
I think when they moved smallbore a couple years back they knew this was coming. Only got to Perry once, 1999, but always hoped things would break so I could do it again. Guess not !
Don't know how this works out for the vendors.

shtur
11-18-2016, 09:11 PM
NRA rifle matches consists of service rifle and match rifle competing for those national titles. CMP rifle matches are only for Service rifle events and their "game" matches designed for buyers of their military surplus rifles.
NRA pistol matches are for the national champion shooting a .22, centerfire, and .45 cal pistol CMP pistol matches are for service pistol matches only, and now the .22 distinguished match.

gravel
11-20-2016, 01:49 AM
I might try to make it next year.

I also like wood roller coasters so my guess I will never go to Cedar Point again.

you are in luck! Southern Indiana has one of those.

http://www.holidayworld.com/rides/the-voyage/