PDA

View Full Version : Light 38spl loads with Mag primers...

waco
11-16-2016, 10:53 PM
Std small pistol primers are a bit thin right now in my neck of the woods. I have a fair amount of SPM primers on hand. I'm looking to load light 38 loads for revolver and lever gun loads. 158gr RNFP over 3.2gr Red Dot.

My question is will the hotter primer give poor accuracy? I know, I know, load some and test them. I will.

I guess I'm looking for your opinions and or results trying similar loads.

Thanks in advance.

runfiverun
11-17-2016, 12:28 AM
with powders like unique and slower I have done pretty well with the magnum primers.
I think red-dot would work okay but I wouldn't use green-dot because of the pop- stop- start situation you might encounter.

Ola
11-17-2016, 01:33 AM
I have noticed NO real difference. My theory is: with fast enough powder it doesn't matter. The powder burns the same even with stronger ignition.

gunarea
11-17-2016, 07:29 AM
Hey Waco
It will work just fine with a couple things in mind. Tighten up the crimp a smidge, this will help with stop/start. It will be position sensitive using Red dot and Promo. Not dangerous, but a velocity difference around 40fps from powder forward and powder rearward, with your mentioned charge. This particular load combination has very high usage in the Lawnsteel community. HTH.
Roy

Mohawk Daddy
11-17-2016, 03:13 PM
I have used 3.5 grains of Red Dot in 38 cases with 158 SWC cast and magnum primers. That may be edging into +P range, depending on how you define it, but I'm shooting them in an old Security Six which doesn't care. It's a good load and works for me.