PDA

View Full Version : remington takeover of marlin

acsteve
06-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Anyone have info on changes coming to marlin since the takeover?

6pt-sika
06-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Anyone have info on changes coming to marlin since the takeover?

I know they've already made changes in the Marlin marketing department .

They are closing down the H&R plant in Mass. and moving it to the Remington plant in New York .

Patrick L
06-16-2008, 10:52 PM
And they'll be introducing a Spartan model .30-30, made in Russia...

pietro
06-17-2008, 08:30 AM
No new info, but if I worked for Marlin now, I'd sure be looking around for a parachute - either retiring early or sending out my resume' & working my network to death.

Cerebus/Remington also closed the Bushmaster Marketing Dept last Winter, "consolidating" it with Remington's.

The H&R operation is supposedly moving to a Remington facility in the Carolinas by December 08, per Remington's announcement - but they're laying off most of the staff already.
If the corporation's anything like the one my wife worked for, any that stayed to the end were bound to secrecy, upon loss of their promised Golden Parachute(for staying).

MtGun44
06-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Interesting name. Cerberus was the three headed dog guarding the gates
of Hell. Any body selecting that as a corporate name doesn't seem likely to
be "nice people". OTOH, maybe they just didn't study mythology.

Bill

VTDW
06-18-2008, 09:37 AM
We used to have 3 Marlin employees posting regularly at Marlin Owners. Since Big Green took over they are no longer allowed to look in on-line to see what Marlin owners are wanting or talking about.:confused: We surely do miss those great guys as they certainly did add value to our site.

Dave

45 2.1
06-18-2008, 09:50 AM
We used to have 3 Marlin employees posting regularly at Marlin Owners. Since Big Green took over they are no longer allowed to look in on-line to see what Marlin owners are wanting or talking about.:confused: We surely do miss those great guys as they certainly did add value to our site.

Dave

No longer allowed.......this would be on company time or their own?

6pt-sika
06-18-2008, 11:58 AM

Dave

Hmmm , I was only aware of two and one of those is no longer working there correct ?

I surely cannot believe that they would tell them not to go to certain websites on their own time :roll:

mold maker
06-18-2008, 06:43 PM
No new info, but if I worked for Marlin now, I'd sure be looking around for a parachute - either retiring early or sending out my resume' & working my network to death.

Cerebus/Remington also closed the Bushmaster Marketing Dept last Winter, "consolidating" it with Remington's.

The H&R operation is supposedly moving to a Remington facility in the Carolinas by December 08, per Remington's announcement - but they're laying off most of the staff already.
If the corporation's anything like the one my wife worked for, any that stayed to the end were bound to secrecy, upon loss of their promised Golden Parachute(for staying).

Where in the Carilinas is the Rem. plant?

Blammer
06-18-2008, 07:11 PM
south carolina as I recall.

pietro
06-18-2008, 08:06 PM
http://www.remington.com/library/press/2008/Corporate/2008-5.asp

Naphtali
06-19-2008, 12:23 PM
A different perspective, a user's perspective: Right now all parts excluding receiver are available over-the-counter for the Marlin 1895s (all of the lever actions??). Yeah, in some cases you wait a while for a part to be restocked. But we do not need to return the rifle to the factory for service or rely on a gunsmith to gain access to parts. Will Remington continue the policy?

ktw
06-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Interesting name. Cerberus was the three headed dog guarding the gates
of Hell. Any body selecting that as a corporate name doesn't seem likely to
be "nice people". OTOH, maybe they just didn't study mythology.

They are a big hedge fund; a place where rich people put their retirement money. :wink: I think by definition this characterizes them as "out to win" people, rather than "nice people". Maybe the rabid guard dog imagery is comforting to people who entrust them with their money.

The number of things they have bought into over the last 10 years is mind boggling. .e.g. Chrysler, GMAC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerberus_Capital_Management#Notable_acquisitions

They bought over a million acres of timberland and a string of pulp and paper mills from Mead-Westvaco a while back. Flipped the land. Still own the mills (Newpage Corp), including one in my neck of the woods.

-ktw