PDA

View Full Version : Using a threaded Rod (allthread) to test wheel weights?

kraynky
11-16-2016, 08:44 PM
I'm pretty new here, and new to casting as well. I have been reloading for 20+ years, but sorting through wheel weights is brand new to me. I have already determine that it's a pain in the rear. I'm finding several plastic weights in my collection, as well as the normal zinc and steel.

Purely by accident I ended up with a 3' long piece of all thread in one of my buckets, and have determined that it makes the prefect tool for sorting the steel and zinc from the lead. Just a short stroke across the threads will let me know if it's lead or not by the damage, or lack of, to the weight.

This is probably a well known trick to you old pro's, but a search on the forum was unsuccessful, for me at least. The steel and zinc just zings across the threads with nothing more than a light scratch, while a lead weight leaves a "dished out" spot.

Like I said, y'all probably already know how this works, but I can't find it mentioned anywhere. So it's "New to me" :grin:

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my new found trick with those that may not know about it. To me it's faster than the "nipper" method, and the "tapping for sound" method doesn't work out for me, with my tinnitus and old age.

Love this forum.

BNE
11-16-2016, 08:50 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Zinc is really hard compared to lead, so this method should work just fine. And I agree, sorting is a pain!

mrbill2
11-16-2016, 09:00 PM
That's a great idea. Thanks and welcome.

kraynky
11-16-2016, 10:38 PM
I found that it is faster than "nipping" each piece and more accurate that "tapping" them on a hard surface. I just didn't know if I had just discovered something, or if it was a known trick that I hadn't heard of. Either way, it's working really well for this rookie.

And yes, sorting them sux, big time. I tried a small batch of weights without sorting, rubber valve stems and all, and my pot was purple after fluxing with sawdust and skimming. I made about 6 "muffins" with that batch, and they still have a purple hue. I'll get the photo thing figured out shortly and ask for opinions. Three batches came out all looking different. Learning every day, and having a blast.

jeepyj
11-16-2016, 10:54 PM
Great idea, I've sorted quite the pile of WWs and this is the first time I've heard of it but you can bet I'll be using the tip
Thanks for posting.

OS OK
11-16-2016, 11:39 PM
The heck you can't teach an old dog new tricks...welcome aboard Kraynky!

Looks like you got more between your ears than an echo! :bigsmyl2:

Djones
11-17-2016, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the great idea. I was still searching for the perfect nippers! Now I may not have to worry about that.

Using a file on steel lets you know relative hardness of steel. Good job and thanks for sharing.

The purple could be zinc. Be careful with those ingots not to contaminate your stash. I think I remember reading about zinc contamination being purple and "slushy".

gundownunder
11-17-2016, 08:01 AM
Great idea, thanks for sharing. I've always used a brick for that job, but your idea uses a lot less bench space

JSnover
11-17-2016, 08:08 AM
It was free and it works, what's not to like?

OS OK
11-17-2016, 08:08 AM
The purple sounds like soft lead. I just made a batch of 5 BHN for HP's and about the last 1/2 of the pot started in with that purple color...they coulda got a weelittle hot there at the end too.

Pine Baron
11-17-2016, 10:30 AM
Kraynky, Brilliant, and I got a piece of all thread laying around here someplace too.

Oklahoma Rebel
11-17-2016, 12:28 PM
when I sort, I lay a good amount on the floor in front of three buckets, trash,clip-on, and stick-on. I found that running them across a crack in the concrete works similarly. Smart find! and once you have done a few big batches, maan it goes a lot faster, I remember being so overwhelmed my first batch and a little on my second. now I fly through them! so don't give up, and don't be afraid to take a break if you get frustrated. good luck! Travis

mdi
11-17-2016, 01:49 PM
Good idea, thnx. I guess because I've been around automotive stuff and metal working all my life (first "real job" in '67 was in a Goodyear tire shop, installing tires and balancing them), I don't have any trouble separating lead from zinc or steel by just hefting and looking at them...

jlchasteen
11-17-2016, 02:09 PM
I used an old file the first time I sorted, getting ready to sort my second batch.

kraynky
11-17-2016, 06:34 PM
I appreciate all of the replies! I will try to get a photo of me using it along with my "purple" ingots this evening. I think I'm going to make a stand/holder for the all-thread to make it a one-handed operation. The nippers were slow enough to discourage me somewhat, but this "discovery" will speed things up considerably for me. I suppose it is a version of the "file" method, which I was also unaware of.

As a side note, I'm finding a lot of "PLASTIC" weights! Surprised the.....hooey out of me the first time I found one. Can't figure out how plastic can be beneficial, as it weighs so little. The plastic weights will also "dish out" just like the lead ones do, but they are so obvious to me now I just chunk them into my trash bucket. Also finding a few stick on weights that are a rubbery substance, grey like lead, but very flexible and certainly not metal of any type. Learning more every day here and in my garage, and loving it!

(wife doesn't however, says the smelting odor is merging into the house, so I'm moving to the barn) :roll:

kraynky
11-17-2016, 09:21 PM
This is my allthread Rod and 1 each oc Zinc, Steel and Lead wheel weights after raking them across thd threaded Rod. The vertical lines indicate the contact points of each weight.

While it's not a very good picture, if you look closely you can see that the zinc and steel weights were not affected by scraping them across the ridges of the Rod. However, the lead weight lost a significant divot of material, using the same pressure and stroke.

This may be helpful to some, and worthless to others. I find it to be faster than "nipping" each piece, and if the rod is secured to the bench, it only takes one hand. Use it as you wish.

Walstr
11-30-2016, 12:39 PM
I've simplified it even more...cardboard on my tailgate, bucket lying open, just gather all the SWW's [stick on] representing soft lead. The rest go into my cast iron pot & with moderately slow heat applied, all but lead floats! Using an ice fishing hole ladle makes quick work of unwanted dross, zinc, & steel; the rest melts or burns.

I segregate the soft lead for controlled alloying later.