PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Sharps

Skipper
11-14-2016, 09:41 PM
I posted this question on the Shiloh forum and I thought I'd better ask the members here, too.

I bought a Lyman Ideal model Sharps in .38-55 for my Grandson last year. He's been doing great with the Lyman tang site but he now has a problem. The kid has to have eye surgery and is going to have to use a scope for about 6-8 months.
Would anyone know of a mount for conventional scopes that will fit a 3/4" octagon barrel ? The hole spacing is approx .545" as best as I can see these days.

Thanks in advance

country gent
11-14-2016, 10:12 PM
There should be a front and rear block spacing of 2 holes each. Depending on spacing 7 1/2" or 17" these were set up for the old malcomb / unertal style scopes and blocks. A rail could be made from Browenells weaver blank for it if its 7 1/2 spacing. and screwed down front and back or a malcomb style scope from MVA purchased. If its the 17" spacing then its diffrent story as the blanks come in 12" lengths. I had an old varmint rifle that had the 7 1/2" spacing for a unertal scope and a piece of this blank drilled and counterbored on the hole spacing allowed for a modern scope to easily be mounted. Making the 1 piece rail all 4 holes have to be drilled on the right spacings.

Skipper
11-14-2016, 11:08 PM
Thanks. I was thinking about something like making a one piece rail. I'll give Brownell's a call tomorrow.