PDA

View Full Version : stupid stupid stupid (Seating die)

mistermog
11-14-2016, 09:32 PM
So, I have been trying to track down a leading issue with my 9mm loads for a while now. Blamed the lee FCD and everything.

It turns out my seater die was screwed down too far and crimping the case as the bullet was seating, in turn shaving off some of the side. Never noticed it until I pulled a red tumble powder coated bullet to check something else.

heh... so, just a reminder... check even things you were sure you had right. everyone makes oopsies. :)

trixter
11-16-2016, 08:13 AM
Thank you for the heads-up/reminder.

Victor N TN
11-16-2016, 08:21 AM
My father-in-law used to say, "I thought I made a mistake once. But I was mistaken."

jsizemore
11-16-2016, 08:57 AM
At least you found it. Now you need to remember the solution in your normal setup procedure....forever.

Victor N TN
11-16-2016, 09:36 AM
Have you considered using your crimp / seating die for crimp only? And get a couple of single seating dies just for seating each different bullet style? Or use one for the bullet you shoot most. And another to seat other bullets?

I always make a "DUMMY" round to leave in the die box of each bullet style. Then use this dummy to set the seater stem length to the same length each time you are setting up that particular bullet.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck.
Victor

mistermog
11-16-2016, 10:13 AM
I already have the lee fcd dies for crimping (and a taper crimp die for 9mm) so I have crimping covered, I was just doing it where I didn't want to.

mdi
11-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Yep, sometimes even the best of us make mistakes (I only made4 mistakes in my life; I married redheads!). I normally tell new reloaders to separate seating/crimping, at east until you get comfortable reloading. The adjustment needs to be right on for the reason mistermog said...

mistermog
11-16-2016, 02:10 PM
... I do have them separate, I still screwed it up. :) hahaha

Char-Gar
11-16-2016, 03:41 PM
I think everybody goes on auto-pilot every once in a while and fail to run the full check list. Just don't do it charging powder.

DerekP Houston
11-16-2016, 03:49 PM
I think everybody goes on auto-pilot every once in a while and fail to run the full check list. Just don't do it charging powder.

I know it takes me a few rounds each time to get all the dies dialed in again. This is why I like to leave them set to a specific caliber and make as many as I can for the next few months. Once I change to a new caliber I'll do another large batch run. I need to buy some more of the LnL bushings so i can leave them set....

mistermog
11-16-2016, 04:46 PM
Yes that's one thing I love e the bushings for... and hate it at the same time because they cost so much. I've been trying to figure this out for almost 2 years... reset my dies at least 4 times... it was more of a comprehension failure than just a brainfart.

I was seeing if my 9mm lee fcd was swaging the bullet down, so I was using a scrap aluminum case. Well those work great for showing you where the dies rub, which lead me to pulling a pc'd bullet to check it. Facepalm moment. Hehe