PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a Rolling Block.

bradley.moss72
11-14-2016, 06:39 AM
I found a Remington Rolling Block #1 receiver with a rotary extractor at a gun show. It is fit to a unfinished stock. I picked it up for $250.

Now I have to find a barrel and forearm stock and the associated hardware, so I have a few questions.

Can a barrel with a cut for a straight ejector be made to work with this receiver?

Are there any places that make threaded barrels for the rolling block or is it a machining only option?

Anyone know of some good resources for assembling one of these? (Parts, gunsmith, knowledge)

I thought I had seen some information on building a rolling block rifle in the past, but for the life of me I can't find much now as far as the Internet is concerned. I haven't went by the library yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bob208
11-14-2016, 11:29 AM
my experience has been the rotary extractor guns were smokeless actions and had a larger barrel thread.

the nra gunsmithing guide updated. has a chapter in it about the rolling block. it is out of print so it is a used book only.

marlinman93
11-14-2016, 12:32 PM
I've built several Rolling Block actions up into rifles, and found it best to buy a Green Mountain barrel in the bore size I wanted, and then have my gunsmith thread and chamber them to fit my action. A very inexpensive stock set, or just a forearm can be purchased from Gunstocks Inc. $62 a set, and I think around $25 for the forearm wood alone.

KenT7021
11-18-2016, 09:36 PM
Frank DeHaas wrote a book about gunsmithing single shot actions including the rolling block.You should be able to find a copy from a used book seller such as Abebooks.

marlinman93
11-18-2016, 10:34 PM
PS-Even if you found a barrel that was already threaded and chambered in your favorite caliber, it likely wont thread on and have correct headspace. It also wont likely index up correctly, so will still need to have a bit of gunsmithing involved. I've spun on a lot of barrels to matching receivers over the years, and never gotten lucky enough to have one fit perfectly, unless I took it off the action it was going back on.

Ed in North Texas
11-19-2016, 10:52 PM
One of the better sources for parts: http://www.rollingblockparts.com/

From time to time they have original barrels, and they usually have inexpensive barrel stubs which can provide a pattern for machining a new barrel.

The later production Number 1 receivers were made with the rotary extractor and were not made as smokeless receivers.

Good luck with the project.

bradley.moss72
11-22-2016, 08:17 AM
Ok guys, I've checked locally and I don't have a gunsmith that is willing or able to fool with it.

Does anyone know of a gunsmith I could get to work on this project?

BW

marlinman93
11-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Ok guys, I've checked locally and I don't have a gunsmith that is willing or able to fool with it.

Does anyone know of a gunsmith I could get to work on this project?

BW

Without hesitation I would recommend John Taylor Machine, who's also a member at this site. I've never regretted having him do anything on my guns, and always fairly priced.