PDA

View Full Version : Nanny Nanny Na Na! H&G #502

lead_her_fly
06-14-2008, 07:18 PM
I got my father's day present a little early this year!

I was at the mail box when the mail person drove up and had a priority mail box with her.

My wife was trying to surprise me but it failed!

In the box was an H&G #502 4 cavity mold. Here is a picture of the type of bullet it makes but not my mold.

It is for a 45AR/ACP but I suppose it could be used in the 45Colt as well. I know it is going to see a lot of action in my M625JM that's for sure!

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/molds/502_4.jpg

Here is a picture of some of the first boolits out of it.
I was in a hurry to shoot some so don't look too close!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/Sackettwannabe/good1.jpg

colbyjack
06-14-2008, 07:30 PM
nice, wish i had a H&G come in the mail. -chris

Dennis Eugene
06-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Very nice those look like they would be just what the Doctor ordered for cowboy action in 45 colt what do they weigh? Dennis

docone31
06-14-2008, 08:40 PM
You know, some of your "don't look too close" are actually better than some of mine on a good day.
Looks like a great bullet. Deep lube lands. Great corners.

454PB
06-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Nice mould! Looks a lot like the Lyman 452424.

lead_her_fly
06-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Dennis,
They weigh right at 240gr with my alloy. It is kind of like Richard Lee's technical approach to just the right alloy. A little of this and a little of that and viola, perfect boolits!

No just kidding, it is about 95% wheel weights with a little Linotype thrown in for hardness.

Thanks to all for the kind words about the boolits. Start with a good mold though and it is hard to mess them up! You can if you try, and I have! ;)

MtGun44
06-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Wowie! That is a totally beautiful mold and the boolits look fantastic.

If you got a size match for your cyl throats you should have a really accurate
combo there.

Is this mold a used H&G or a new production mold to their specs?

It sure looks brand new.

Bill

lead_her_fly
06-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Wowie! That is a totally beautiful mold and the boolits look fantastic.

If you got a size match for your cyl throats you should have a really accurate
combo there.

Is this mold a used H&G or a new production mold to their specs?

It sure looks brand new.

Bill

Bill,
That's not a picture of my actual mold, friend. Mine is a 4 cavity and is used but like new!

I haven't shot any yet but it throws bullets out big enough to be sized to .452 and that is just right for my revolver!

lead_her_fly
06-17-2008, 10:05 PM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/Sackettwannabe/Boolits/sr4756cool2.jpg

Haven't shot the ones I emptied my first pound of SR4756 into but I will in the next day or two. I'll post results when I get them.

I have some results from shooting them today though. Thought I'd share it with you.

I wanted to shoot these heavy bullets in my Taurus PT1911 as well as my M625JM but the auto wouldn't let me seat to the normal length with this boolit. If I seated to the crimp groove the SWC shoulder would hit the rifling. I was hesitant to shorten it too much due to raising the pressure and no way to test it.

I loaded it with slightly under the listed charge of AA #5 for this weight of bullet and seated it .050" shorter. They all exited the barrel and left both firearms intact! A win/win! :mrgreen:

I also loaded this boolit with a healthy charge of AA #9 too! Their data has a listing for a 255gr LSWC so I used that data to start with.

Shooting the first load in the M625JM:

670fps AVG
23fps ES
9fps SD
Accuracy @ 15 yards was ok, not great.

Out of the PT1911

703fps AVG
35fps ES
12fps SD
Again accuracy was ok @ 15 yards.

Out of both of these firearms this load was pretty smoky too. I am using my own homemade lube of 50/50 White Label Liquid Xlox and beeswax.

I almost forgot to mention the actual weight of the boolit is 241gr. So I would say my alloy is near what the mold was designed for. Like I said, as scientific as Richard Lee's method, use a ballpeen hammer and look at the dent!

Now the surprising thing was when I shot the AA #9 loads. I only shot them out of the M625JM as I know it will handle a bunch of pressure and I don't have any bumper pads in the PT1911.
This round was definitely longer. I loaded it like a 45AutoRim round as far as crimp goes, made a nice firm one right in the crimp groove.

The results:
848fps AVG
38fps ES
14fps SD
Accuracy was 1" @ 15 yards which is very good, IMHO.
The thing that was the most tell tale though was that the smoke disappeared, none at all!

I think that means in order for my alloy to obturate when fired I need to get the pressure up a bit. I am going to try a AA #2 loading as well only at the top of it's data.

All in all a good day on the range. I will post results after shooting the SR4756 loads. They are just under the Speer #8 minimum loading for this weight of boolit in the 45AutoRim, which makes it just a tenth of a grain over the loading for a 230gr FMJ with this powder!

It should give me a little more than the AA #9 loads posted above. I am trying to get into the 950fps range.

FWIW