PDA

View Full Version : Gas check kits?

Meatco1
06-14-2008, 10:59 AM
I would like to buy a gas check kit, for a mould no longer made. Seem's Lyman also stopped making the gas checks for this particular bullet at the same time they dropped the mould.

I've googled "Gas Check Kits" but other than Corbin, came up empty. From what I've read, the Corbin kit works only with the Corbin

"Corbin GCM-1 Gas Check Maker Kits are available for the Series II Press (Model CSP-1), Hydro-Mite (CSP-1H), Mega-Mite Press (CSP-2), Hydro, JR. (CSP-2H), and the Hydro-Press (CHP-1)."

Are there other kits available? If so, I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Richard

Firebird
06-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Look on the group buy forum here. There is a member (Pat Martin) who is getting together a group buy for die sets to make gas checks, and also group buys for Gator brand gas checks that are available in most calibers.

JeffinNZ
06-14-2008, 03:37 PM
I just got one on Ebay. Search 'Freechex'.

David Wile
06-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Hey Richard,

I bought a .38 caliber gas check tool kit off E-Bay from the fellow who makes them, Charlie Darnall. It turned out to work fantastic using aluminum soda cans for making the gas checks. Since then, I have purchased two more tool sets from Charlie (all off E-Bay), and they were .30 caliber and .45 caliber. Again, they make great gas checks. Does it take time to make them? Sure does, but I can sit in front of my TV and make a few hundred while watching a movie. They seem to be selling for a bit less than $40 a set. Search E-Bay for "gas check tool" or "Freechex."

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

45 2.1
06-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Hey Richard,

I bought a .38 caliber gas check tool kit off E-Bay from the fellow who makes them, Charlie Darnall. It turned out to work fantastic using aluminum soda cans for making the gas checks. Since then, I have purchased two more tool sets from Charlie (all off E-Bay), and they were .30 caliber and .45 caliber. Again, they make great gas checks. Does it take time to make them? Sure does, but I can sit in front of my TV and make a few hundred while watching a movie. They seem to be selling for a bit less than $40 a set. Search E-Bay for "gas check tool" or "Freechex."

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Would you have some pictures?

dromia
06-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Ebay search gave me nothing, anyone post a link please.

porkchop bob
06-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Ebay search gave me nothing, anyone post a link please.

The below link is for the 7mm GC tool I just purchased. From there you can find Charlie and whatever he has posted today.

I hope this is permitted.

Bob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230251100293

JeffinNZ
06-18-2008, 06:11 PM
I recieved mine from Charlie yesterday. Works just as it should. Real simple. Real effective.

David Wile
06-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey 45 2.1,

I don't know how to post pictures, but Bob posted a good link that shows some of his tool sets. By the way Bob, I see you got that tool set for less than $39 including shipping. Pretty good buy I would say.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Hud
06-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Got an e-mail from Paco, the old Hanned line co., he is gearing up to start producing the free check tool again. I'm supposed to check with him towards the end of this month. Will post info as I know it if there's an interest. Or he can be contacted by e-mail thru the lever gun forum.

Hud

kodiak1
06-19-2008, 07:32 PM
bob thanks for the addy sent him an e mail.
Ken.