PDA

View Full Version : Brothers

Echo
11-11-2016, 12:39 PM
As a retired member, I have mixed emotions regarding all the thanks to servicemen for their service. I did it for 20 years, plus some ANG time before, and did it for several reasons, as I'm sure my brothers did, too. Many brothers didn't make it, joining the Feathery Choir during their stint. Many others made it, but damaged. I'm one of the lucky ones - the only thing I had to worry about in SEA was getting drunk and falling in a klong, and I never did those two things together. I'm still in contact with some OCS schoolmates, but they are dwindling. I'm very labile, tearing up as the flag goes marching by, or at the sound of the National Anthem, or typing about them on the keyboard, so maybe that had something to do with my service.
In any case - today we remember those who are no longer with us. I'm taking a friend with me to the Texas Roadhouse for lunch. They provide free meals for any ex-service person. She is the widow of a 100% disabled veteran, and they grant her the privilege of a meal, also.
The Baggage picked me up in my allergists office 5 years ago. I went in, got my shots, and was sitting there reading a Flying magazine and wearing my Air Museum cap. This woman walked up to me and asked 'Were you in the Air Force?'. I replied 'Yes', and she said 'Well, my husband flew P-40's at Guadalcanal, but he died 2 years ago, and I'm a widow now'.
Well.
I said, 'Well, I'm a widower - what are you doing tonight?'
She lives 5 minutes away. We've been friends ever since. She is 83, and has macular degeneration, can't drive, and has no one to call on. She did have someone to drive her to her allergy shots, but he has severe health issues now and can't do the duty.
In any case - today is a day for remembrance. Let's do that...
And I include Sisters when I say Brothers...

Der Gebirgsjager
11-11-2016, 01:41 PM
Well, Sir, I both humbly and proudly say to you and your comrades living and dead, "Thank you for your service to our Great Nation." And may God bless you richly for including the elderly widow in your special day.

MrWolf
11-11-2016, 05:55 PM
Well, Sir, I both humbly and proudly say to you and your comrades living and dead, "Thank you for your service to our Great Nation." And may God bless you richly for including the elderly widow in your special day.

Very well said. I agree and thank you.

runfiverun
11-11-2016, 07:16 PM
great post Echo.

Echo
11-12-2016, 12:13 PM
Well - I'm told I don't look my age, but I'm elderly, I guess, too - that picture over on the left was taken 81 years ago...