PDA

View Full Version : ARs flooding the market?

osteodoc08
11-11-2016, 12:37 PM
My local trader has a bunch of ARs for sale, more than usual. Anyone else noticing this? I'm guessing it's folks that bought for the election and are now unloading them before the market becomes soft.

ShooterAZ
11-11-2016, 12:42 PM
It will be no surprise to me that the market will "catch up", and prices will fall. More availability is good!

DerekP Houston
11-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Either that, or the dealer bought extra stock anticipating a run on AR's if hillary had won. I know 2 people at my office that were considering buying last week and have now changed their minds ;).

Smoke4320
11-11-2016, 12:57 PM
Either that, or the dealer bought extra stock anticipating a run on AR's if hillary had won. I know 2 people at my office that were considering buying last week and have now changed their minds ;).

Lots of dealers did this ..

Thumbcocker
11-11-2016, 01:12 PM
I always wonder why used Glocks aren't cheap. Not that I want one.

Mytmousemalibu
11-11-2016, 01:14 PM
Good deal, I'll be adding an Aero Precision AC-15 to my gun safe soon!

dverna
11-11-2016, 01:17 PM
I was going to buy two more AR's but will now wait for prices to drop.

Don Verna

HarryT
11-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Thankfully, I gambled and lost. I bought a couple of S&W M&P15s before the election just in case the Democrats won. A little something I learned from the .22 cartridge hoarders.

xdsc40
11-11-2016, 01:29 PM
500 bucks a pop I don't think it can go softer

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Der Gebirgsjager
11-11-2016, 02:00 PM
Thankfully, I gambled and lost. I bought a couple of S&W M&P15s before the election just in case the Democrats won. A little something I learned from the .22 cartridge hoarders.

You never lose when you put another gun in the closet!

Oklahoma Rebel
11-11-2016, 02:06 PM
were can you get an ar-15 for 500 a pop, cuz I want one! and if its true are they ok quality? Travis

mcdaniel.mac
11-11-2016, 02:09 PM
You never lose when you put another gun in the closet!
You must have a bigger closet than me!

Buck Neck It
11-11-2016, 02:17 PM
I bet that there might be another run on them. Democrats are waking up to the idea that they might need to arm themselves now that trumpers are free to put them up against the wall.

Dan Cash
11-11-2016, 02:39 PM
I bet that there might be another run on them. Democrats are waking up to the idea that they might need to arm themselves now that trumpers are free to put them up against the wall.

I hope you are saying this with sarcasm. Conservatives are not given to exterminating those with whom they disagree.

dtknowles
11-11-2016, 02:39 PM
were can you get an ar-15 for 500 a pop, cuz I want one! and if its true are they ok quality? Travis

At the local gun show. One dealer had Palmetto arms AR-15s on special (he had a bunch) I got one for $499 plus $30 for a rear sight and $50 in sales tax. $580 out the door with one mag.

Tim

marlin39a
11-11-2016, 02:50 PM
A friend of mine bought 6 AR style firearms, thinking he could cash in. He's feeling bad lately.

imashooter2
11-11-2016, 02:54 PM
My investments in 30 round magazines and stripped lowers will fail to mature.

I'm actually pretty pleased about it. :drinks:

Lloyd Smale
11-11-2016, 02:58 PM
I had one new in the box entry level bushmaster that I was going to peddle if prices went nuts. Last big scare I parted with on of my ar10s that I paid 1100 for new for 2000. I really wasn't in the market to sell it but when I got that offer I couldn't pass. 6 months later they were back down to 1100. I bet that guy is still kicking himself in the but.

dragon813gt
11-11-2016, 04:24 PM

This has been the normal price for entry level ARs for quite some time. At the beginning of the year Del-Tons were $450. They went up because of the election but will now come back down.

I'm waiting for the bottom to fall out. I will buy stripped lowers when they get back to $50 or lower. I want to build one in 300 BLK and 458 SoCom. Hopefully some of the 35 caliber wildcats are a viable option. I don't want to step up to an AR10. It looks like PA will be approving semis for hunting so a 35cal AR would be about perfect.

NoAngel
11-11-2016, 04:35 PM
I always wonder why used Glocks aren't cheap. Not that I want one.

Cause there's little difference in a new one and one beat to death. My daily carry is rough as a cob, several years old and works 100% just like the day it was bought. Still ugly as hell. That's why I carry it. I don't cry when it gets scratched cause who could tell?

oldred
11-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Don't have any desire for an AR, my tastes are lever action and single shots, but I have to confess to going out Monday morning before election day and buying three lbs of very over-priced Varget!:roll: I was so sure that Hag (the profanity filter won't let me call her by her real description!) was going to win that I figured I better get it while I still could. The guy at the store I went to told me business had been very brisk the last couple of days and that I was not alone in my thinking, I wanted 4 lbs but three was all he had left. I now regret my haste at buying what will very likely be cheaper soon but I am truly thrilled that I can regret it and not have to be happy that I bought it just in time!:mrgreen:

Vulcan Bob
11-11-2016, 10:50 PM
I benefited from one of the older panics. Earlier this year I came across a NIB Colt Light Weight Sporter in a local LGS for $599.00. Still had it's $1,222.00 price sticker on the box.

Oklahoma Rebel
11-11-2016, 11:23 PM
are they all about the same quality, I mean I guess if something breaks its no problem fixing anything, literally

dragon813gt
11-12-2016, 09:22 AM
Buy an entry level one and ten thousand rounds of ammo. Shoot it all and then decide if/what you want to change. Trigger time is the most valuable part. They're all serviceable rifles at this point.

xdsc40
11-12-2016, 10:26 AM
I bought what I wanted to buy
If price went up to the thousands of dollars so what
I would of kept what I bought
Because if price shot up and some bs clinton gun **** happen
Atleast me and mine would have some

StolzerandSons
11-12-2016, 11:11 AM
If you are looking to shoot 600yrd competition, you might want something better than entry level but if you just want a cheap usable AR that will shoot 1"-1.5" at 100 yards, then all the entry level ones I've shot were capable of that.

Two years ago I bought a polymer 80% kit from guns80 for $412.00 shipped(no sights or mags) thinking that if the lower was junk I could just replace it with aluminum. Turns out after a couple years and several thousand rounds it still shoots slightly bigger than 1" at 100yards and the poly lower is holding up just fine.

Guns80 is still selling a similar 80% kit for $549.00 plus shipping...I bet if you wait till black Friday or cyber Monday they wil have them on sale for even less.

country gent
11-12-2016, 11:15 AM
I have several ARs here service match rifle and match rifle. I was changing over to them when I was forced to stop competing due to medical reasons. Tey are good accurate rfles and dependable. I enjoyed them alot but my go to rifles are the 2 M14/M1As in the safe. Im just more familiar with them ( 15 tears or so competeing and using them compared to 2-3 years competeing) The Ars have gotten so much press the last few years that thy are the first thought of a rifle.

xdsc40
11-12-2016, 11:30 AM
I think most bought hoping the price would go five times what they paid for it then they would flip it
capitalism at its best just like $75 for a brick of 22's back a few months ago

I won't sell my 22 ammo either

Pipefitter
11-12-2016, 12:18 PM
Today at the local gun show I saw a couple different vendors asking $800 for a $550 S&W AR. No powder, no primers, very few jacketed bullets on the tables. Only saw one guy still trying to unload a single brick of 22LR for $50....

Kind of disappointed with the wasted time this morning.

Four-Sixty
11-12-2016, 06:12 PM
What will happen after were done with the "zombie" and "prepper" phases to. If I was in the sporting arms business I'd be looking for a new career.

Chili
11-14-2016, 09:24 AM
Might be a good time for me to pick up a few lowers from PSA and build that 6.5 Grendel.

xdsc40
11-14-2016, 09:58 AM
Alot of places say on order

mold maker
11-14-2016, 10:45 AM
I've never seen so many black rifles for sale. Prices are still excessive though. Could it be that our closets are about full?

Hamish
11-14-2016, 11:24 AM
I'm seeing ***A LOT*** of serious complaints about Radical Firearms around the net. Due diligence!!

That said, I have seen no complaints about Palmetto State Armory and very much like the 300 BLK upper from them. Totally happy with two uppers from JSE Surplus (they build for many of the mfg./dealers.) The first upper I bought from them I later identified as a DPMS product and its sub moa. It's hard to beat the sale price on an upper from one of these two by buying parts and trying to assemble it yourself. Also like Red X, but they're a bit higher.

Look around, don't get in a hurry on prices. Hard to beat an Anderson stripped lower, a parts kit, an upper on sale, but if you keep an eye out it can be done.

I talked to a fella that made a gun show this last weekend and saw one dealer with complete guns for $399. Thing of it is, you don't know the quality of the parts, and who do you send it to if the barrel nut is cross threaded or its head spaced wrong? Not to say it might not be a great deal, but, due diligence and caveat emptor first and foremost!

Facebook groups local to you are also a huge venue for used and new products. My last trade was done through a local Facebook firearm group.

One final thought, a slew of keyboard commandos will scream bloody murder at the mention of an M&P or aDPMS Sportical, but just remember that many times, the fanboys that rail the loudest about the entry level cost rifles are also often getting something in return for steering customers,,,,,,,,.

mcdaniel.mac
11-14-2016, 12:48 PM
I'm seeing ***A LOT*** of serious complaints about Radical Firearms around the net. Due diligence!!

That said, I have seen no complaints about Palmetto State Armory and very much like the 300 BLK upper from them. Totally happy with two uppers from JSE Surplus (they build for many of the mfg./dealers.) The first upper I bought from them I later identified as a DPMS product and its sub moa. It's hard to beat the sale price on an upper from one of these two by buying parts and trying to assemble it yourself. Also like Red X, but they're a bit higher.

Look around, don't get in a hurry on prices. Hard to beat an Anderson stripped lower, a parts kit, an upper on sale, but if you keep an eye out it can be done.

I talked to a fella that made a gun show this last weekend and saw one dealer with complete guns for $399. Thing of it is, you don't know the quality of the parts, and who do you send it to if the barrel nut is cross threaded or its head spaced wrong? Not to say it might not be a great deal, but, due diligence and caveat emptor first and foremost!

Facebook groups local to you are also a huge venue for used and new products. My last trade was done through a local Facebook firearm group.

One final thought, a slew of keyboard commandos will scream bloody murder at the mention of an M&P or aDPMS Sportical, but just remember that many times, the fanboys that rail the loudest about the entry level cost rifles are also often getting something in return for steering customers,,,,,,,,.
PSA'S "freedom" line is the lowest-quality possible, and there's been a lot of reports of shipping errors, delayed orders, and CC fraud there. Caveat emptor.

I prefer BCM, Midway, and Aim Surplus.

dragon813gt
11-14-2016, 12:58 PM
CC fraud at Palmetto? Prove it, you made the accusation so post the links. PSA has gotten a lot better w/ their shipping times. But most are aware of this and you deal w/ slow shipping for the reduced cost. I've bought a lot from them and have never had any issues. I can say the same for JSE Surplus and Primary Arms. If you shop deals at these three places you will end up w/ a high quality rifle at a reasonable cost.

dtknowles
11-14-2016, 01:05 PM
PSA'S "freedom" line is the lowest-quality possible, and there's been a lot of reports of shipping errors, delayed orders, and CC fraud there. Caveat emptor.

I prefer BCM, Midway, and Aim Surplus.

This kind of accusation should have some sort of supporting evidence, seems close to slander.

Tim

Jniedbalski
11-14-2016, 01:06 PM
PsA 's freedom line in not the lowest quality there ptack line is there cheepest line.i have each one and the quality is good on each. Can't complain at all my shipping was fast

Jniedbalski
11-14-2016, 01:09 PM
My freedom 16 in stainless upper mid leingth is actually really nice. Very nice finish good quality and shoots real good groups

Garyshome
11-14-2016, 01:10 PM
If anyone is looking just wait for black friday deals. I'll bet they will be good for the buyer this year

osteodoc08
11-14-2016, 01:13 PM
My freedom 16 in stainless upper mid leingth is actually really nice. Very nice finish good quality and shoots real good groups

Same here. I can't complain.

garym1a2
11-14-2016, 03:56 PM
No, barrels, bolts and triggers make a difference. Typically a $79 barrel will not shoot like a $400 barrel. A $200 Geiselle trigger is much better than a cheap trigger.Best first one is a M&P sport, the new Ruger or another entry level one. By the time you get to the second or third one you may get one you like.

are they all about the same quality, I mean I guess if something breaks its no problem fixing anything, literally

Omega
11-14-2016, 04:29 PM
No, barrels, bolts and triggers make a difference. Typically a $79 barrel will not shoot like a $400 barrel. A $200 Geiselle trigger is much better than a cheap trigger.Best first one is a M&P sport, the new Ruger or another entry level one. By the time you get to the second or third one you may get one you like.Many entry level ARs will shoot better than many of us can, are the more expensive components better? yea, some, but IMO too many are hung up on brand names. My non-modified PSA shoots as well as my Spikes, and with a diy polished trigger or one of PSA's polished triggers it's smoother, but just as accurate.

fatelk
11-15-2016, 12:35 AM
A little OT, but I often hear people talking about accuracy, and I don't know how many times I've heard (or read) someone say something to the effect that their entry-level AR will shoot MOA, often with FMJ. I have no doubt that that could happen, but it sure hasn't been my experience. On the other hand, I haven't shot a lot of ARs to know for sure.

imashooter2
11-15-2016, 08:24 AM
A little OT, but I often hear people talking about accuracy, and I don't know how many times I've heard (or read) someone say something to the effect that their entry-level AR will shoot MOA, often with FMJ. I have no doubt that that could happen, but it sure hasn't been my experience. On the other hand, I haven't shot a lot of ARs to know for sure.

You can't swing a dead cat on the internet without knocking over a dozen MOA rifles. But apparently it is much more difficult to type a good group on a range.

StolzerandSons
11-15-2016, 09:47 AM
I understand what you guys are saying but isn't this forum mostly guys who handload. I certainly don't handload to save money, cause, that has never happened, I handload to get the best performance and accuracy out of my firearms. I don't necessarily get MOA out of all my rifles but I do try to wring out the best I can with reasonable expectations.

xdsc40
11-15-2016, 10:11 AM
I picked up a radical arms ar $500 a month or so ago from aim
I put 20 rounds out of her had eject /feed issues .I swapped the bolt out with another ar I put together it went to working just fine for 200 more rounds issue free
As for the radical bolt it worked just fine in the other ar
I put 150 rounds out of it no issues
I'm not an ar expert but maybe it just didn't like that one bcg

Feel free to post your thoughts on this issue

snowwolfe
11-15-2016, 11:01 AM
I watched some people on different forums stockpile 20, 30, and some even more than 40 lowers following the Sandy Hook disaster. Now the lowers are selling for $50-60. Personally I think there are so many lowers and AR's in private hands as of now the values wouldn't increase for many decades, if at all.

dragon813gt
11-15-2016, 11:10 AM
$50-$60 is more than the $40 they cost about a year ago. I agree that the value most likely won't go up a lot. But there is still quite a bit of price fluctuation. Should be interesting to see what prices are around Easter.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
11-15-2016, 12:45 PM
my PSA orders sometimes take 2 weeks but I have had no issue with any of the uppers purchased from them they hold 1.5 minute with the ammo I am feeding them , 2-7 power optics and my shooting and I can live with that they would be considered entry level guns but I make the ammo.

It doesn't bother my one bit that I may have expedited some purchases pre-election it was all stuff I wanted and at what I consider reasonable prices.

tommag
11-16-2016, 12:19 AM
I picked up a radical arms ar $500 a month or so ago from aim
I put 20 rounds out of her had eject /feed issues .I swapped the bolt out with another ar I put together it went to working just fine for 200 more rounds issue free
As for the radical bolt it worked just fine in the other ar
I put 150 rounds out of it no issues
I'm not an ar expert but maybe it just didn't like that one bcg

Feel free to post your thoughts on this issue

I guess I got lucky with my radical 6.5 Grendel upper. I had problems with fte, but a quick tutorial on reshaping the extractor fixed that. I'm new to ar15's, but am pleasantly surprised. I had always considered semi auto centerfires to only be good at getting rounds downrange quickly without regard to accuracy. My Grendel upper on an 80% lower shoots .42 with my best handloads. I also have a factory lite 16 5.56 that shoots under 1 moa with handloads. I'm still not a big ar15 fanboy, but they changed my opinion of semi auto carbines.

EDK
11-19-2016, 11:20 AM
Local shop is $600 to $700 for multiple brands..DPMS, RUGER, ROCK RIVER or COLT.. IIRC yesterday.
I bought some AR, RUGER and GLOCK magazines in anticipation of HILLARY'S election..so happy that didn't happen! BUT they were all items I could use myself.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.