PDA

View Full Version : We are fortunate..........

Ben
06-14-2008, 09:49 AM
We are fortunate to have a nice forum like this to share our opinions, thoughts and questions about cast bullets and bullet casting.

The internet has opened a whole new realm of near instant communication and " linked " those of a similar interest. Casters are one of many groups that have been " linked " via the internet.

I live in a very small town in the south. If I walked into a coffee shop around here and tried to strike up a discussion on the maximum RPM thresholds of cast bullets, burn rate speeds of powders or the effects of different types of alloys on the " as cast " diameters of cast bullets, I'd think they would look at me with that " deer in the headlights look."

However, here on this Board these things are a very common thing. We take a lot for granted in this life. We have a good thing here. As I get older I realize more than ever just how important it is to take real good care of the good things in life.

I've met so many good friends here. Many have gone out of their way to do things for me. Life long friends are made here.

Best to all of you,

Ben

Morgan Astorbilt
06-14-2008, 10:10 AM
I share your thoughts Ben. The nearest town has less than 400 people, and I know well, the "Deer in the headlight" look. A real culture shock, coming from NYC 26 yrs. ago.
Morgan

bullshot
06-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Here there are a collection of people with the same interest --Casting. It came from the love of shooting and expanding the horizons of shooting. I know very few people in the clubs I belong to, very active shooters, that cast.. When the common interest is there the knowledge is shared as this forum proves. Get a dedicated pistol shooter, rifle shooter and shotgun shooter together and there's really not much to talk about between themselves. That common interest is the key.

jhrosier
06-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Ben,
You have hit the nail on the head. There are no better fellows to be found than here, and no forum that is more friendly to beginners.
I've learned a lot, reading of the successes and failures of folks willing to share their experiences with casting and handloading.

Many thanks and best regards to all.

Jack

Echo
06-14-2008, 02:12 PM
+1 on all the above. I have been around shooting forever - my dad taught me to shoot the Remington Model 12 when I was about 5. Been casting and reloading for 40 years, and this site has opened doors for me that I didn't know existed. I've only been on for something over a month, but check it every day, usually more than once, and learn something new every time. This is the best site on the Web...

MtGun44
06-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Roger that. Good people, lots of knowledge freely shared. Most civil and
pleasant group that you could hope for.

Thanks to everyone.

Bill

danski26
06-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Yes ben we live in a time of great communication between people. I just wonder if the loss of personal interaction is harming our society.

Buckshot
06-15-2008, 12:25 AM
............This very thing prompted the first NCBS in 2000 at Topaz Lake, NV with 5 members and families of the Cast Bullets forum at the old Shooters.com website. We'd never met each other (except NVCurmudgeon and Duke who were long lost freinds and hooked up there on the board). Didn't much know what we all looked like, nor even our real names, ha!

By the time the 2 day affair was over we all felt as if we'd known each other for years. In fact I was going to tell some hunting stories about me and Ammohead. Then I remembered we'd only met 2 days ago and didn't HAVE any hunting stories :-) Succeding NCBS's held in Winnemucca are more like family reunions then anything else. You can see the photos on Castpics, Events, and then Topaz Lake.

................Buckshot

Razor
06-15-2008, 02:31 AM
I said it before but.. here goes again;

Thanks for letting me play, fellas....
:-D:drinks:
The only thing I don't like about this site is that you're all an evil :twisted:influence on me..:kidding:
Initially I wcame here looking for info on cheap gallery type loads..via Lee Loaders..for a SMLE...that's all...
But thanks to you jokers .....
I have 8 or 10 Lees now, plus 2 RCBS presses..(and die sets).and.. looking for more..
a dozen or so moulds, 4 buckets of WW waiting..4 already smelted and... looking for more..
4 shelves of loading paraphanelia (sp?)...just bought some more today...
I have a *** IAB Sharps waiting on parts, looking at a SHILOH...
2 cap guns, a Hawkins and a fl squirrel gun..and... looking for more..
Now I've been forced to yearn for a 38-303 (JeffinNZ's fault)[smilie=s:
OOOH...I have 'bout 2 dozen Mausers left fom my C&R Mauser passion, How about a 38-8mm ???
Where does it end ??:veryconfu
When are you insideous lot gonna quit leading me astray ??
Err.. do they make a '73 WIN in 38-55 ?? Looong rifle, OCT bbl and marbles sight ??
Do you think a Pedersoli Quigley in 45-120 would be a nice Fathers Day self present ???
Them HI-Walls shore are purdy, ain't they ??

OK..done feeling sorry for myself..

Razor
:castmine:

PatMarlin
06-15-2008, 05:17 AM
Ditto Ben.

Glad to know you. You never hesitate to help out a fella.. :drinks:

This forum is really a rarity with the caliber of it's members, and the size. One other that I know is the same is the Forestry Forum.

1Shirt
06-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Yep, Ben, you pretty much hit it on the head with the coffee shop bit. I don't care if it is small town or big city, us cast shooters are a thinly spread out group. Kinda like it that way however. This website is about the best thing since sliced white bread and dry toilet paper!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Wicky
06-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Well said Ben. There are only an handfull of us that cast where I am and the nearest town is 500 km away - not much interaction there. I stumbled on this forum looking for info on the 310 cadet and can honestly say it has the friendliest and most helpful bunch of people of any forum I have been on. :drinks:
Razor has got it right but - it's costing me a fortune, better than leaving it to the kids though.:mrgreen:
Even my wife and daughter laugh at me when I talk about being on this forum but hey they don't understand!:redneck:[smilie=l:

HollandNut
06-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Cleveland aint that small , well I know where it is anyways .. [smilie=1:

Town I growed up in is smaller than Cleveland .. :rolleyes:

Is a good bunch here , and they say sniffing lead is bad fer ya .. :mrgreen:

Ricochet
06-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Yes ben we live in a time of great communication between people. I just wonder if the loss of personal interaction is harming our society.
I'm not sure that's a valid concern. I've met several guys in person because I knew them from this board. True with other boards as well. And I have the opportunity for personal interaction with folks who live on other continents I'd've never met in the pre-Net days. Had some of them in my house as well.

MtGun44
06-16-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm pretty sure I would not have had the opportunity to discuss boolit design
and firearms with folks from NZ and (the other) OZ. This is a big increase in
social interaction, albeit in a somewhat cumbersome way. Altho, if you consider
getting on a plane and flying there . . . . . not so cumbersome after all.

From the REAL OZ - Kansas, Just ask Dorothy and Toto.

Bill

PatMarlin
06-17-2008, 10:29 AM
I met one of my best friends who's an engineer and owns a sawmill like mine, on a forum based back east.

Come to find out he lives not to far from me. Also we're the same age. I've got online friends all over the world. It's an amazing thing.