PDA

View Full Version : solder souce???

hornsurgeon
06-13-2008, 10:24 PM
i have an opportunity to reclaim the solder drippings from a radiatior shop. these would be 40/60 tin/lead. the only problem would be they are at the bottom of a test vat filled with diluted anitfreeze. would the antifreeze cause any casting problems once i smelt this down to ingots? any health hazards when smelting? anyone here interested in some if i do this?

mark

docone31
06-13-2008, 10:53 PM
The propylene glycol would most likely burn off during melting. As far as health hazards, melt it outside.
Propylene glycol is used in Tartar Sauce for fish sticks, etc. Not to say we should start ingesting it, as moderation is an issue here. I would smelt it outside.
Once into ingots, I suspect any propylene glycol would be gone. Maybe some in the slag, but not in the melt.
Just my opinion.

whisler
06-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Most older type anti-freeze is not propylene glycol but ethylene glycol which is not as inocuous as propylene glycol. Find out which type it is so as to take proper precautions. Either is infinitely dilutable with water so they could just be rinsed off, but ethylene glycol is poison if ingested and is especially attractive to animals. Be safe.

randyrat
06-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Great source for Tin....Just melt it and try not to sit there and breath it all in, you will live for another day God is not finished with you yet. You could run water over it and dilute it so there is less anti freeze in it. Just be cautious with hot lead and water.

JIMinPHX
06-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Just rinse it off before you heat it & it will be fine. You should have no problem unloading unlimited amounts of reclaimed solder to the good folks on this board. Lead & tin are two things that you can always find takers for here. Use the usual precaution of not throwing anything wet or damp into already melted lead.

JIMinPHX
06-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Propylene glycol is used in Tartar Sauce for fish sticks, etc. Not to say we should start ingesting it, .

A lot of propylene glycol goes into root beer too. That's not the same as ethylene glycol that is used as antifreeze & is poison. They are two very different things.

hornsurgeon
06-14-2008, 10:34 PM
i would definately rinse the scrap good before smelting. i am sure this is ethylene glycol because it is a pale green slurry, not pink/orange. i was more worried about the metal than myself as i smelt all my lead over an open fire.

mark

GLL
06-14-2008, 10:57 PM
I wash the solder drippings several times and spread them out in the sun for several days before smelting into ingots. Here is 27 pounds worth as ingots. There can be a fair amount of rust, etc. in the material fresh out of the tank. Make sure you work outside !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/7D15931F35477FE/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/3D9E4C790723581/standard.jpg

RP
06-14-2008, 11:44 PM
most radiator shops do not use antifreeze in their test tanks. The water is green because you cannot see bobbles in clear water that well. They use a dye to color the water next time your in the shop look around to see if you see a container with some orange powder in it thats the dye for the test tanks alot cheaper than antifreeze and safer. also has no oil in it that effects the soldier. Another thing the shops here have gone to a lead free solder may want to check their rolls and see what they are using

hornsurgeon
06-15-2008, 12:09 AM
i asked about lead free solder, and he said that the lead free doesn't work well for radiators and does not hold up well. he uses only 40/60 tin/lead. he also said the tank started as water but residual from the radiators has made it the slury it is now. most of what they work in is non'automotive. mostly equipment, tractors, dump trucks, etc.

hornsurgeon
06-19-2008, 10:11 PM
i talked to the owner of the radiator shop today. he had no problem with me reclaiming the solder in his tanks. he might also have a couple of buckets of ww laying arround i could have. now i just have to get time to do all this.

bobk
06-19-2008, 10:21 PM
hornsurgeon,
I'd be likely to buy some from you, if you're of a mind to sell some.
Bob K

hornsurgeon
06-21-2008, 09:31 AM
after i get time to recover the solder and then have time to smelt it, i'll let everyone here have a shot at some.