PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Luger: Help a Noob select a mold?

Phlier
11-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Gents, after reading around the forums a bit, I'm now more confused than ever regarding what mold I should select to get started.

My son and I shoot a lot of 9mm. "A lot" being around 2,000 rounds per week. I shoot a S&W M&P C.O.R.E. 9L, and my son has a CZ 75 P-01. I've been putting off slugging our barrels, though. Hoping to get that done today...

Today I'll be receiving my first mold. It's a six cavity Lee, .356" 124gr TL RN (this one, to be exact: http://leeprecision.com/6cav-tl356-124-2r.html ).

I've been reading here on the forums that some guys are getting best results in 9mm Luger with .357 or even .358 boolits.

I'd really like some suggestions here, keeping in mind that bulk is the name of the game. I'd really like to be able to tumble lube, and shoot "as cast", but I can always sit my son down at the press to resize if needed. ;)

Did I pick the wrong mold to start out? What do you guys think? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rancher1913
11-10-2016, 05:50 PM
if you want to pc than the no lubegrove group buy from MiHec works great. that lee will be fine for tumble lubing but I just don't care for the mess that goes along with tumble lubing.

JeffG
11-10-2016, 06:13 PM
You might get lucky with that mold but it seems (1) the round nose profile doesn't work as well chambering with cast or (2) the tumble lube design gives people a fit. What I suspect you will hear most of on this forum is the Lee 356-120-TC which is a traditional lube groove design is the best. That said i have the 356-120-TC and TL356-124-TC and both work just fine for me in 3 different 9mm pistols. The TC profile doesn't have the potential issues interfering with rifling that the RN profile does. YMMV

gwpercle
11-10-2016, 06:45 PM
I have extensively experimented with four different Lee moulds in three different 9 mm Lugers. I wanted one bullet that would work in all three guns.
1.) 358-105-SWC (actually it is more of a TC)
2.) 356-120-TC (conventional lube groove)
3.) TL356-124-2R (tumble lube)
4.) 356-125-2R (conventional lube groove )

The clear winner, accuracy and functioning , was the 356-120-TC . I don't know why, it just works in all three of my guns.

The 358-105-SWC design worked well in my WWII era Walther P-38 , mild loads that shot accurately to the P-38's fixed sights are a joy to shoot, one of the other guns had feeding problems with it...but the old P-38 loved it and fed it like a champ.

I've been sizing all my cast boolits .357 for 9 mm Luger use.

Gary

runfiverun
11-10-2016, 07:32 PM
that mold has started more threads than I have.
for powder coating I think it might be a good choice.

the CZ's do well with 358 diameter.
for both of your pistols a truncated cone mold would be a good choice, the S&W's don't have a throat.

Moleman-
11-10-2016, 07:42 PM
I have that 9mm Lee 6-cavity mold and like it. I tumble lube and dust with mica so the bullets don't turn into a big bullet cookie if they sit for a few years. Recently opened up a 40# box of them that I'd cast up 5-6 years ago. Looked as good as when they were put away. I've shot it in S&W, Sig, Beretta handguns and several different semiauto rifles. No issues.

Phlier
11-10-2016, 08:15 PM
Thanks to everyone for the input. Very much appreciated.

I have extensively experimented with four different Lee moulds in three different 9 mm Lugers. I wanted one bullet that would work in all three guns.

The clear winner, accuracy and functioning , was the 356-120-TC . I don't know why, it just works in all three of my guns.

The 358-105-SWC design worked well in my WWII era Walther P-38 , mild loads that shot accurately to the P-38's fixed sights are a joy to shoot, one of the other guns had feeding problems with it...but the old P-38 loved it and fed it like a champ.

Gary

Gary, please forgive the noob question, but if you're using the 356-120-TC for 9mm, how are you sizing it to .357? Is it possible to take a .356 and size it up to .357?

Big Boomer
11-10-2016, 09:59 PM
I am partial to the 6-cavity 125 gr. version of that boolit mould. Feeds well in my 9s. Just cast up a pile of them a few days ago and got them all sized and lubed. Looking for an opportunity to try them out. Got the alloy just right this time and they were properly filled out due to the addition of a little more tin than usual. Big Boomer

Jayhawkhuntclub
11-10-2016, 11:13 PM
MiHec molds are amazing. But for speed a good lee 6 banger will be easier and a lot faster to cast with. And it will still make fine, accurate bullets. Got to treat aluminum a little more gently. Never touch the aluminum block with any metal that's not lead (antimony and tin are okay too). My favorite is the 365-125-2R. I tumble lube them. However, if you want a hollow point, MiHec is the way to go.

carbine86
11-10-2016, 11:48 PM
I run the Lee 6 cav 356-124 TC through my m&ps and they love it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Phlier
11-11-2016, 01:20 AM
So many molds to choose from! Well, it's a darn good thing I'll be saving so much money by casting my own, that I can afford all of them. ;)

JeffG
11-11-2016, 01:30 AM
They are going to cast bigger than .356 if you are using typical COWW + 2-3% tin. I size mine .357 as well and all mine like it. Where I have used a .358 sizer in the past, not all will be that large, but some will be.

Gary, please forgive the noob question, but if you're using the 356-120-TC for 9mm, how are you sizing it to .357? Is it possible to take a .356 and size it up to .357?

Phlier
11-11-2016, 12:19 PM
They are going to cast bigger than .356 if you are using typical COWW + 2-3% tin. I size mine .357 as well and all mine like it. Where I have used a .358 sizer in the past, not all will be that large, but some will be.

Ah, I see.

I have yet to go around to the various tire stores in search of wheel weights, but I'll most likely be doing that very soon. I was hoping that the indoor range I shoot at would be willing to sell me some of their range scrap, but was met with a very stern "NO" when I asked to buy some yesterday. Apparently, some lead recovery service keeps the range's backstop material (shredded tires) fully maintained in exchange for the lead that they salvage from it. The range doesn't pay for their service, and the recovery service gets to keep the lead. Darn. The guy told me that the last time they came, they recovered 12,000 pounds of scrap! Hmmm.. I might have to go buy a tire shredder... ;)

So with that lead lead (wow, that looks awkward to read) shut down, to the tire stores I'll go.

There is one outdoor range that I can hopefully do a bit of scrounging at, but the lead recovery rate vs time invested will be much less than the indoor range.

What it boils down to is that I'll most likely be buying alloys from Roto Metals for the foreseeable future. So much for that huge money savings vs buying pre made boolits I told my wife about! ;)

I'm thinking 100 lbs of Lyman #2 is a good place to start... what other alloys would you guys recommend (again, considering this is all for 9mm Luger)?

Does #2 like to throw a bit over the rated die size, as COWW +2-3% tin does?

And one last thought...

This forum has just been amazing. I've received 5 unsolicited PM's with a *ton* of advice, help, information, links, etc. I'm just overwhelmed at what a great bunch of guys are here at castboolits. One member here sent me an amazingly informative PM that must have taken him a long time to write, filled with extremely helpful pictures. Just... wow. Thank you all very much.

Phlier
11-11-2016, 12:24 PM
Forgot to mention....

Should any other new caster stumble on this thread in search of help selecting molds (and other information) for 9mm Luger casting, please be sure to check out: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?121737-Setting-up-for-boolits-in-a-new-9mm

And again, thanks to the guys that PM'd me that link!

Phlier
11-11-2016, 12:58 PM
You might get lucky with that mold but it seems (1) the round nose profile doesn't work as well chambering with cast or (2) the tumble lube design gives people a fit. What I suspect you will hear most of on this forum is the Lee 356-120-TC which is a traditional lube groove design is the best. That said i have the 356-120-TC and TL356-124-TC and both work just fine for me in 3 different 9mm pistols. The TC profile doesn't have the potential issues interfering with rifling that the RN profile does. YMMV

Gary

Great information, gents. A common theme I'm seeing here is the 356-120-TC. I still have a bit of money left to spend in the cast boolit fund, so I think I'll go ahead and spring for a few more molds, the 356-120-TC being one of them.

I have that 9mm Lee 6-cavity mold and like it. I tumble lube and dust with mica so the bullets don't turn into a big bullet cookie if they sit for a few years. Recently opened up a 40# box of them that I'd cast up 5-6 years ago. Looked as good as when they were put away. I've shot it in S&W, Sig, Beretta handguns and several different semiauto rifles. No issues.

Good to hear. I'm going to give mine a try and see how it goes.

MiHec molds are amazing. But for speed a good lee 6 banger will be easier and a lot faster to cast with. And it will still make fine, accurate bullets. Got to treat aluminum a little more gently. Never touch the aluminum block with any metal that's not lead (antimony and tin are okay too). My favorite is the 365-125-2R. I tumble lube them. However, if you want a hollow point, MiHec is the way to go.

Appreciate the tip. I'll be sure to pass that one on to my son as well. I'm glad to see that at least a few guys are having luck with that mold. Mine was supposed to arrive yesterday, but looks like it'll get delivered today. It'll be a few days before I have any alloy to try it, though.

I run the Lee 6 cav 356-124 TC through my m&ps and they love it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sure looks like the TC style boolit is doing better for everyone than the RN.

Molds are pretty cheap, so I'm just going to go ahead and order a couple more. I love to play around with stuff like this, and a guy's gotta have a place to start, right?

I'm going to order:

http://leeprecision.com/mold-6-cav-356-120-tc.html (356-120-TC)

http://leeprecision.com/mold-6-cav-tl356-124-tc.html (TL356-124-TC)

As well as .357 and .358 Lee sizing dies (I already have the .356).

That will give me a total of three different molds to start out with. I've also ordered a micrometer. I do have a digital caliper, but as suggested in the 9mm sticky thread, I'll be using a micrometer to measure the barrel slugs of both my S&W and my son's CZ. I'm betting the CZ mic's around .356-7 and mine comes out right on .355. We'll see.

I have yet to cast my very first boolit, and I'm already hooked.

farmerjim
11-11-2016, 01:25 PM
I use the Lee 358-125-RF sized .357 for 95% of my 9 mms. It works great sized .359 in my 38's and .357 mags. I powder coat them, but tumble lube would work fine too. I cast with 2 molds at a time, and get about 850 an hour.

acoop101
11-11-2016, 01:48 PM
I love the Lee 105 grain semi wad cutter in 358 size, it creates a nice clean hole and I can load it soft for steel challenge.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

fredj338
11-11-2016, 02:29 PM
I prefer the heavier bullets so went with a 4cav Redding 147gr. The Lee 124gr molds work fine though. I size 0.357" for all my 9mm pistols.

gwpercle
11-11-2016, 02:47 PM

Most moulds cast oversize , this one drops at .3575 with 50/50 COWW-Lead mix. Sizes to .357 very easily. Alloy composition will affect boolit diameter. Just because a mould says .356 doesn't mean it will drop a .356 diameter......
I have an NOE 9mm mould that drops them .3585...sizing to .357 for 9 mm takes a bit of effort but size to .358 they work great in 38 Special and 357 Magnum.
The problem moulds are the ones that cast undersize...making them bigger is a pain but doable with the right tricks of the trade.
This hobby is just full of convoluted dimensions , terms and terminology. Wait untill you get farther into this madness.
Welcome to the addiction and Load Safe.
Gary

Landshark9025
11-11-2016, 09:59 PM
+1 for both the 356-120TC and the 358-125RF. Slug your barrel with a fishing sinker and get the appropriate Lee push through sizing die.

As for lead, don't be afraid to buy some from a vendor here or in swapping and selling forum. I highly recommend that for just starting out.

sigep1764
11-11-2016, 11:24 PM
Find the metal scrappers in your area that will sell to the public. Best source of lead cheap. And they have tons of it, all kinds. Linotype, soft, wheel weights, and tin

Echo
11-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Find the metal scrappers in your area that will sell to the public. Best source of lead cheap. And they have tons of it, all kinds. Linotype, soft, wheel weights, and tin
Plus One. Here in Tucson it is possible to buy WW's for .40/lb. Probably the same in LV. Rendering adds to the hassle, but we hassle along...

Phlier
11-13-2016, 12:44 AM

Plus One. Here in Tucson it is possible to buy WW's for .40/lb. Probably the same in LV. Rendering adds to the hassle, but we hassle along...

Excellent. I'll check them out on Monday.

RKJ
11-13-2016, 08:42 AM
Philier, If you're wanting to try this lube from one of the members it works great, I haven't used tumble lube but made some of this up for my 9mm (the LEE 356 TC-120) and it works great, with no leading in my BHP. It is quick & easy without the mess I've read about with alox. I bought xlox from Glenn here: http://www.lsstuff.com/ and you couldn't ask for better people to deal with. Anyway, this might be an answer to an unasked question but I thought I'd share. The thread explains it better than I can. I found the wax at Lowe's and they had a good supply of it. But Ben is also looking at a replacement that works as well as the original.

If you're wanting to make Ben's Liquid Lube, please read this :
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-L-Liquid-Lube (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?259285-NEW-%21-%21-T-L-Liquid-Lube)

kingstrider
11-13-2016, 11:14 AM
I have that same mold and have cast and shot thousands of bullets with no problems. I tumble lube then size with a Lee push through sizer. All my guns have loved them.

Phlier
11-13-2016, 12:30 PM
Philier, If you're wanting to try this lube from one of the members it works great, I haven't used tumble lube but made some of this up for my 9mm (the LEE 356 TC-120) and it works great, with no leading in my BHP. It is quick & easy without the mess I've read about with alox. I bought xlox from Glenn here: http://www.lsstuff.com/ and you couldn't ask for better people to deal with. Anyway, this might be an answer to an unasked question but I thought I'd share. The thread explains it better than I can. I found the wax at Lowe's and they had a good supply of it. But Ben is also looking at a replacement that works as well as the original.

If you're wanting to make Ben's Liquid Lube, please read this :
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-L-Liquid-Lube (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?259285-NEW-%21-%21-T-L-Liquid-Lube)

Thank you for the link! I had read the thread on 45/45/10, and was planning on ordering some from lsstuff.com. The Ben's LL sounds much easier to make, if I can just find the wax. Amazon says "not currently available", but we do have Lowes, Home Despot, and Ace Hardware here, so I'll check them out. Edit: I see the Johnson product has been discontinued. Darn.

I have that same mold and have cast and shot thousands of bullets with no problems. I tumble lube then size with a Lee push through sizer. All my guns have loved them.

That's great to hear. I now have everything I need to start casting except for alloy, darn it.