PDA

View Full Version : best boolit for glock 22 40 S&W

rrob692326
11-10-2016, 05:00 AM
I finally bought a glock after decades of resisting and now would like to get a mold suitable for this pistol and pushing it close as possible to factory ammo. I have ordered a Wilson barrel for it ,and plan on powder coating a very hard water dropped boolit. I would like to tap you experienced loaders, as I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Also your powder of choice for it.
Thank you

emorris
11-10-2016, 12:06 PM
The lee 401-175-tc is hard to beat for a regular production mold. Loaded to 1.120 on top of HP38 or Bullseye.

Boolit_Head
11-10-2016, 12:22 PM
I picked up a Mihec 180 grain HP mold from one of the group buys and am extremely happy with it.

Oklahoma Rebel
11-10-2016, 02:12 PM
Doesn't the glock have some kind of unique rifling? Also, what kind of rifling does the new barrel that you ordered have?

Boolit_Head
11-10-2016, 02:15 PM
I used the Glock barrel without issues but you should watch for leading. Now I have a Lone Wolf barrel as a upgrade.

Ed_Shot
11-10-2016, 03:03 PM
For my G22 with LW barrel I really like the Lyman 401043 (170 gr.) and 401654 (150 gr.). IMHO "Glocking" brass is a bigger issue than leading using a Glock .40 S&W OEM barrel.....that's why I use a Lone Wolf barrel.

rrob692326
11-11-2016, 02:04 AM
Have redding push though die fc die and what I need to reload also have powdercoating gun for boolits which will go through Wilson Combat conventional bbl. Just got too many molds and don't want to trial and error. there are lees which are cheap so no problem there but NEI, LBT etc not so much. looking for factory like velocity and reliability already have lots of brass 4000+ just a suitable boolit as I don't like buying jacketed cause shipping to Hawaii is usually a bust due to lack of using flat rate usps boxes and fedex and ups only deliver here by 2nd day or overnight $$$$! No realated but Just finishing up powdercoating 25,000 handgun boolits, will post a picture when all done. lots of colors! maybe do some hoss trading LOL

yondering
11-11-2016, 03:31 AM
The lee 401-175-tc is hard to beat for a regular production mold. Loaded to 1.120 on top of HP38 or Bullseye.

+1; this bullet in a 6 cavity mold is hard to beat. Unless you remove the bevel base, then it's even better.

You don't need a "very hard water dropped boolit" for this, especially with powder coating. Just plain old air cooled wheel weight alloy is about perfect. The Glock barrel will handle lead as well as anything else, and often with less leading, although that's not a factor since you're powder coating.

Honestly, this bullet, coated, sized to .401-.402", and loaded to 900-1000 fps is a really easy load for that gun, with lots of powder combinations. It's not quite foolproof, but about as close as you can get.

Boolseye
11-11-2016, 09:39 PM
I agree on the Lee mold. It meets all my .40 cal needs.
i lapped out all 6 cavities cause they dropped a little small, but it shot pretty good even before I did that. Shot great after. Load with a thumbnail's width of bearing surface above the case mouth and you're good to go.

Strtspdlx
11-11-2016, 10:36 PM
I use the Lee to 401-175tc in my wife's glock 22 and I was extremely surprised at how good it worked considering all the hype about cast Boolits in glocks. If I remember correctly it was with aa#7 powder and Lee Alox tumble lube.

Boolseye
11-11-2016, 11:18 PM
Polygonal rifling can be fine with cast. My first .45 was an HK USP, tack driver with HG 68, no leading.

Shiloh
11-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Went with an aftermarket barrel for the Mod 22. Seems to shoot everything well.

SHiloh

W.R.Buchanan
11-12-2016, 07:16 PM
QUOTE=emorris;3838868]The lee 401-175-tc is hard to beat for a regular production mold. Loaded to 1.120 on top of HP38 or Bullseye.[/QUOTE]

Ditto on this with 5.4 to 5.6 gr of W231/HP38. That mould is hard to beat and with PC'd Boolits you won't have to swap barrels out. There is no problem with leading and PC'd Boolits and also they don't need to be any specific hardness. Just plain Wheel Weights will be fine.

Here's a real hot tip on shooting your Glock. You will be better off, and get much more service out of the gun,,, if you just shoot it and not try to put a bunch of aftermarket parts into it. Trigger jobs, different internal parts, lighter springs, barrels etc. are all a big waste of time and money.

The gun will take 500+ rounds to break in and after that will run perfectly with only an occasional cleaning and some Vaseline on the slide ways and some of the trigger parts.

I have 3 Glocks and might get another one soon. I have a G35 a G21SF, and a G36. I am looking for a used G23. All of them have Aftermarket Sights an Extended G34/35 Slide Release and a Extended Mag Release. I don't see why Glock doesn't supply the G35 Slide Release on all it's guns. The Mag Release is my own personal preference so I can get at it easier, the G34/35 Slide Release makes Locking the slide open during Malfunction Clearing Drills much easier. Sights are optional but there is nothing wrong with the stock sights..

Note: I do not have any lighter springs, which cause malfunctions, trigger jobs which wear out prematurely, or barrels which just aren't necessary. My Storm Lake Barrel resides in the bottom of my G35's Range Bag it caused too many malfunctions at IDPA and cost me more than one win.

All my guns have exactly the same triggers, and controls so there is no learning curve when I pick one up. It is the same as the rest.

I have had a variety of aftermarket parts on my guns at one time or another.

ALL FAILED! Or WORE OUT PREMATURELY! This is why I don't use them any more. I have 10,000+ rounds thru the G35, 6000+ thru the G21 and about 1000 thru the G36. I learned what works on the G35 and set the other guns up the same. I have not had any parts related malfunctions or failures in 5 years at least, and these guns get used a lot, and I just put 600ish rounds thru the G21 last week. All reloads.

If you take your new G22 out of the box and put it into a Blade-Tech Kydex Holster, get 4-8 Glock Magazines as well as two Blade-Tech Mag Holders,,, and shoot it,,,,,, you will achieve everything you can do with that gun. The beauty of Glocks is that they are perfectly serviceable right out of the box, and I could pick one up and probably shoot it just as well as I shoot the ones I've got right now as the controls are going to be the same or very similar to what I've been shooting for the past 14 years.

If and when I get the G23 it will get a Blade-Tech Holster and Mag Holders, several Mags, a G35 Slide Catch and an Extended Mag Release. Since it will be used when I get it, it will get completely stripped and cleaned then reassembled and used that way for the duration of my tenure with it.

Next I would highly recommend going to Front Sight Nevada as it is the closest decent Firearms Training Facility to you. www.frontsight.com

You will fire 800 rounds thru your gun over the course of the 4 Day Defensive Handgun Course and you will be able to draw your gun and fire two rounds to the chest in less than 2 seconds . Your gun will be broken in at that point and you will be learning the trigger and sight alignment.

This is the best use of your money with regard to this gun. Nothing you can buy in the aftermarket will benefit you more than this course.

You have picked "one of the," if not "the," most effective Combat Pistols ever devised. Now all you have to do is learn how to use it.

That really requires Professional Training!

Randy

rrob692326
11-13-2016, 06:04 PM
Will be ordering a Lee six cavity. I would like to thank you all for your help, and wish you all my very best. It is people like yourselves that and the help you provide that helps keep our casting passion alive and well The best part of knowledge, is passing it on to help others. One last question, what dia. are you sizing your cast boolit at that is providing you with best results in a coventional rifled barrel?
thanks again
RR

Boolseye
11-13-2016, 10:14 PM
I size mine at .403" I recommend .402", I get a few that chamber a little tough. I opened up my .401" Lee sizing die and went a little far. Slug your barrel, size boolits .001-.002" bigger than groove diameter.

Moonie
11-16-2016, 10:05 PM
I've shot the lee in both my XD Subcompact Mod.2 and my 400 Cor-bon, shoots great in both.

waltherboy4040
11-18-2016, 02:49 AM
I like the lee 145 grain tc bullet, only downside is it comes in the two cavity version. No excessive leading in factory barrel so far.

marlin39a
11-18-2016, 08:05 AM
I shoot the Lee 401-175-TC sized .401, lubed with carnauba red, over 4.0 gr HP-38, at 1.135. It runs great through my Shield and SR-40.

Moonie
11-18-2016, 04:56 PM
I like the lee 145 grain tc bullet, only downside is it comes in the two cavity version. No excessive leading in factory barrel so far.

I have that mold, I used it in my 400 Cor-Bon before I purchased the 6 cavity 175. It worked well in 400, haven't tried it in the 40 but assuming it feeds well it should shoot well, as mentioned, only available in a 2 cavity :(

Strtspdlx
11-20-2016, 11:50 AM
I shoot mine unsized. My mold drops at about .4019 at parting line and .4025 90* from parting line. I slugged the barrel with a few bullets and noticed it wasn't contacting 100% so I tried it out and found minimal leading (acceptable to me, only because I clean my guns Atleast every 200 rounds). I still have a test batch made of softer alloy to see if I can't get that leading to minimize even more.

W.R.Buchanan
11-20-2016, 02:50 PM
If you powder coat your boolits you won't have any problems with leading. This is why I said you didn't need an aftermarket barrel.

Sizing to .401-2 after PCing will be fine. Just make sure you bell your case mouths enough so that the boolit enters easily and doesn't get scraped.

Randy