PDA

View Full Version : bpcr 45-70 advice?

harley45
10-31-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm toying with buying a sharps style rifle in 45-70 for hunting hogs and black bear. I've never loaded black powder before and am in the process of ordering the loading tools. anybody here have a preference on a suitable mold? paper patched or regular grease grove? I realize it will take me some time to get a handle on all this but any help is appreciated.
Eric

Forgot to add that if I don't get the sharps I'm considering one of the marlin 26in cowboy lever actions (I love that octagon bar.) I know this will leave paper patch out but has anybody shot black powder in a lever?

wills
10-31-2005, 07:13 PM
http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/

http://groups.msn.com/BPCR

Brent Danielson is the authority on paper patched bullets
http://www.iastate.edu/~codi/PPB/PPB.html

45 2.1
10-31-2005, 07:23 PM
Forgot to add that if I don't get the sharps I'm considering one of the marlin 26in cowboy lever actions (I love that octagon bar.) I know this will leave paper patch out but has anybody shot black powder in a lever?

Nope, that doesn't leave PP out with black in levers. Alot of people do that. Get yourself a 400 gr plain base mold that has BIG lube grooves. It will be suitable for the sharps or a lever.

harley45
10-31-2005, 07:57 PM
So paper patch cam be used in levers? this is interesting

Bullshop
10-31-2005, 08:33 PM
So paper patch cam be used in levers? this is interesting

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/21e41fd5.jpg

This is from my 1895 Marlin 45/70 at 100 yards peep sight. Yes it was a few years ago when my eyes were better. I have a different way of doing things.
BIC/BS

Ken O
10-31-2005, 08:35 PM
When you order your tools, you might pick up SPC Lubricants book "BP Cartrige Reloading Primer" by Mike Venturino and Steve Garbe, I got mine from Midway. It has a lot of basic info.

SharpsShooter
10-31-2005, 09:05 PM
Be cautious buying "knock off" type sharps rifles. I learned this the hard way with the American Arms 1874 import. It was really poor quality for the money. Had enough tool marks in the bore to be easily visible. It would only shoot J-Bullets and smokeless and that didn't last long, because the sear and fly in the lock disentigrated before I hit 100 rounds through. Absolute garbage. Buy the highest quality you can afford of reputable name and you won't be sorry.

longhorn
10-31-2005, 11:40 PM
If you're after an import, buy Pedersoli only. If you're buying American, my choice is Shiloh. My most favorite, easiest to use mold is a 420gr Steve Brooks-an outstanding tool! Go to the Shiloh website forums, and learn all about black powder reloading-those guys know their stuff. Be forewarned-they're an obsessive bunch; I have found reloading black pretty simple, but maybe I've been beginner lucky. Be very cautious of anything you read on reloading black in the gun rags, unless it's written by Venturino-he's a regular poster on the Shiloh forums, BTW. And don't waste your time trying to reinvent the wheel-learn to load like the Garbe/Venturino book and the Shiloh guys load.

wills
10-31-2005, 11:57 PM
Put aside everything you know about reloading smokeless, you are starting afresh. Croft Barker has some good books also.

harley45
11-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys I think I'll give that marlin a more serious look now that I know it can use paper patch. I don't think I care really that much about gun style I just wanted to play with bp and paper.

Abert Rim
11-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Harley, I have loaded black powder cartridges for Trapdoors, a Pedersoli Sharps and the Marlin Cowboy. The latter is very easy to carry (and can be punishing with the heaviest smokeless loads), but will limit your bullet selection because of overall cartridge length issues. That's not such a serious issue when choosing a hunting bullet, though, as you want a big, flat meplat to hunt with, not a long, graceful round or spire-shaped nose like you find on the Lyman 457125, the Postell or the Snover. Those are fine for target and long-range work. Better for hunting is the 457193 or the lighter Gould hollow-point. By the way, Pedersoli makes an excellent barrel.

wills
11-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Cleaning a single shot BP rifle is not a problem but I understand it can be quite a task with a lever.

SharpsShooter
11-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Cleaning a single shot BP rifle is not a problem but I understant it can be quite a task with a lever.

It's not a problem. Simply remove the stocks and take it to the shower with ya. :D Seriously, if the cases seal up tight and you don't get any residue in the action, they clean up relatively easy. You do have to keep the recesses of the action clean and well lubricated to prevent corrosion.

:coffee: