PDA

View Full Version : 357 Herret

JSH
11-08-2016, 07:08 PM
Anyone have a file trim die I could borrow,lease or rent?
I only want or need about 50cases.
Jeff

racepres
11-08-2016, 07:13 PM
How bout I just send ya some FF cases??
I made 'em the hard way!!!
not really...I use a tubing cutter!!!!!

11-08-2016, 07:55 PM
I just made a jig from a scrap of board, hacksawed to just a wee over length and finished on my Lee Zip Trim.. Not hard.

Bookworm
11-08-2016, 10:48 PM
I have maybe 50-60 357 Herret cases that I received in a trade. I don't shoot that cartridge. I know the lot was formed from .30-30 brass.

I don't know what the lot is worth, but would consider trades, if anyone is interested. I can check headstamp and general condition, I haven't looked at them in many months....

JSH
11-09-2016, 12:21 AM
I dug through my file trim dies. Found a 44 file trim die. I got a piece of plastic tubing and made a bushing. I hogged off the majority of what I needed to. Now I just have to set my dies up to match the chamber and fire form.
I didn't need more than 50 and 40 would be a plenty. Then I went ahead and got started on a lot of 55, just in case I loose some fire forming.
A classic old SSP cartridge for sure. I have played with the 30 but not the 35.

JSH
11-09-2016, 12:23 AM
FYI I did the tubing cutter on some wild cat cases once. It will work harden the heck out of them. I annealed and still lost all of them sooner than later.

Another reason I should have bought one of the mini chop saws at harbor fright.

racepres
11-09-2016, 12:46 AM
FYI I did the tubing cutter on some wild cat cases once. It will work harden the heck out of them. I annealed and still lost all of them sooner than later.

Another reason I should have bought one of the mini chop saws at harbor fright.

I used the tubing cutter on many cases...Sometimes I anneal...sometimes I don't.
I haven't lost a single 357 Herrett case yet, and I load them plenty stout!
Have yet to have a Michigan Whittail take even one step after I put a single 150PSP [No Cast in this one] in the Boiler Room!!! But...I don't shoot over 100yards either...If I'm gonna reach a ways..the 25-06, or 270 get the Nod!!!
Anyway...sounds like yer gonna get your cases ...