PDA

View Full Version : Hearing protection

wch
11-08-2016, 05:37 PM
I am already suffering loss of HF hearing and would like to know what you shooters use to protect yourselves.
I primarily shoot rifles and shotguns so I need something that won't interfere with the gunstock.
Thanks.

jcwit
11-08-2016, 05:41 PM
Covered firing line, electronic muffs, plus plugs.

Open air, either one.

Course I already wear hearings aids. Once it's lost it's gone for good.

AggieEE
11-08-2016, 05:47 PM
For me, shooting a rifle or shotgun, the muffs get in the way. I have to be very careful not to let the stock lift the muff. I use custom molded plugs. They make 30-06 class pretty quite to shoot. If I'm shooting handgun then either/or. I'll even double them up sometimes because the sound limiting ones, electronic muffs, I still think the sound is loud.

Ickisrulz
11-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Generally speaking a good plug or muff will lower the impulse noise produced by firearms to acceptable levels at the shooter's ears.

I use E-A-R Classic plugs when shooting rifles. The disposable expanding foam plugs really work the best (over the rubber re-usable type). I bought an entire box years ago. I use a pair until they are dirty and then get another. You must make sure you insert these properly.

I have a few sets of muffs. The best ones I have are called Tasco Golden Eagle. The noise reduction they provide is noticeably better than other muffs I have tried. My set is about 12 years old, so today's product might not be the same. I use muffs when firing handguns.

Double hearing protection, muffs over plugs will lower the "at the ear exposure" even more and can be helpful if a person is really sensitive or when shooting something excessively loud such a rifle with a muzzle brake or 50 BMG.

smokeywolf
11-08-2016, 07:05 PM
Don't know why the muffs don't interfere with my cheek-weld to the stock, but they don't.

I lost my HF hearing as child. Parents didn't know about the nerve damage to little ears caused by shooting.

I now use either muffs or plugs and muffs. I like the electronic muffs as they allow for conversation. Have used the Howard Leight muffs for several years.

Outpost75
11-08-2016, 07:17 PM
Best is to get custom-molded ear plugs from your audiologist, and then wear a good earmuff protector over those.

The practical limit of attenuation attainable in an earplug is the 30-33 dB range. We hear through air-conducted noise and bone-conducted noise (vibrations amplified through teeth and skull). Hearing protectors attenuate only air-conducted noise and have no effect upon the bone-conducted. The noise-blocking ability of the outer ear maxes out around 40 dB. Above that you hear loud conductive noise coming through your skeletal system, as produced by explosion of an IED in close proximity, and combat vehicle crews need a padded protective helmet and body armor to stop that.

Also understand the logarithmic nature of the decibel scale. A 3 dB drop in noise level (3 dB more attenuation in the earplug) reduces incoming noise by half.
To jump from 30 to 33 dB, an earplug has to block twice as much noise. You quickly reach the physical limits in terms of seal of the ear canal and insulating material.

The very best available generic, molded, soft rubber industrial earplugs are rated from 28-30 dB at the eardrum. Custom molded plugs made by your audiologist, if properly fitted, may reach 33 dB attenuation, which is the best which can be realistically hoped for. If anybody claims their product does better, ask to see the lab data, because they are lying!

A final obstacle is comfort. Yes, it is possible to make earplugs which block noise better than existing earplugs now on the market. But they would be custom cast of lead from a rubber mold of your ear, and must be uncomfortably inserted and also sealed uncomfortably with a thick lubricant coating petrolatum gel in the ear. A fitted combat aviator's helmet with bone conductive microphone, flame-resistant oxygen mask, full face shield and custom-molded earphones, which costs about $10,000 does about 40 dB.

dverna
11-08-2016, 07:22 PM
Best is to get custom-molded ear plugs from your audiologist, and then wear a good earmuff protector over those.

There are three limits that cap attenuation of an earplug in the mid-30 dB range. First is the sound pathway of the ear.

We hear through air-conducted noise and bone-conducted noise (vibrations amplified through teeth and skull).

Hearing protectors attenuate only air-conducted noise and have no effect upon the bone-conducted. The noise-blocking ability of the outer ear maxes out around 40 dB. Above that you hear loud conductive noise coming through your skeletal system, and you would need a padded protective helmet and body armor to stop that.

Also understand the logarithmic nature of the decibel scale. A 3 dB drop in noise level (3 dB more attenuation in the earplug) reduces incoming noise by half. To jump from 30 to 33 dB, an earplug has to block twice as much noise. You quickly reach the physical limits in terms of seal of the ear canal and insulating material.

The very best available generic, molded, soft rubber industrial earplugs are rated from 28-30 dB at the eardrum.
Custom molded plugs made by your audiologist, if properly fitted, may reach 33 dB attenuation, which is the best which can be hoped for. If anybody claims better, they are lying.

A third obstacle is comfort. It is possible to make earplugs which block noise better than existing earplugs on the market. But they would be made of lead and must be sealed uncomfortably with petrolatum gel in the ear.

Ding...ding..ding

We have a winner

Don Verna

Outpost75
11-08-2016, 07:29 PM
Ding...ding..ding

We have a winner

Don Verna

Let's just say that I have a little bit of practical experience in this, but I no longer fly, and don't [yet] require hearing aids at 68 years alive.

Petrol & Powder
11-08-2016, 07:33 PM
All good advice above and I'll add a few more points. Ear plugs, particularly the disposable foam types must be properly inserted in order to get the maximum effectiveness of the product. I see a lot of shooters that just barely insert the plugs in their ears.

I use both ear plugs and ear muffs when shooting indoors. I find ear plugs a bit more useful when shooting shotgun, particularly with a wide brimmed hat which makes an over-the head muff impractical.

When shooting in groups I resist the urge to remove both ear plugs during breaks and often leave one in. If a shooter walks up to the line I can still get one hand over my unprotected ear even if I'm holding something like a long gun. I then have time to set the item down and put my muffs on or insert the other ear plug. It's not that I shoot with inconsiderate people; it just occasionally happens.

jcwit
11-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Low profile muffs such as These should allow most anyone still get a cheek weld.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/IMPACT-SPORT-ELECTRONIC-EARMUFF/2225038.uts?productVariantId=1398781&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02415465&rid=20&gclid=CjwKEAiAjIbBBRCitNvJ1o257WESJADpoUt0URS7lK5J b0f0I3_mu0T8tiSsCaPNH5zo0Lp50gv0RBoCbZzw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51qLCHEV6ML._SX425_.jpg

Menner
11-08-2016, 07:56 PM
Properly inserted the disposable foam ear plugs are hard to beat bought a box of 200 pair few years ago for like $20 off amazon keep hand full of them in the range bag. Like Petrol and Powder I will only remove one plug (the right one) during a break in the action. ear muffs get in the way for me shooting long guns but I will use them when shooting pistols. Keep both in the range bag
Tony

jsizemore
11-08-2016, 08:03 PM
I use these. They're out of the way for most shooting.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/dheym.rtxez/v/vspfiles/photos/H6B-fslash-V-2.jpg

Peltor H6B/V Behind the Neck hearing protection

Kestrel4k
11-08-2016, 08:09 PM
$150 for custom-molded ear plugs from my audiologist - money well spent.

And sound suppressors for all of my field rifles and a chosen few of my handguns, plus subsonic handloads for many of my non-hunting loads.

And when the situation allows, I also use the muffs pictured by jsizemore above.

No such thing as too much money, fun, or noise suppression.

Blackwater
11-08-2016, 09:32 PM
I'm at the stage that the comfort and thinness of my muffs don't matter nearly as much as preserving what hearing I have left, and not making the ringing in my ears any louder than it already is. Was in Bass Pro a little while back, and noticed some Walker brand muffs rated at 35 db of protection. The highest I'd seen previously was 31 db. I got them in a tough, "welded" blister wrap, and couldn't unwrap them until I got home, and I put them on and couldn't hear word one on my TV, and that's with the volume up fairly high. I have been VERY impressed with these muffs. As the most effective muffs always seem to be, these are a bit more bulky than average, but I don't care. What I DO care about is my hearing, and like so much else, I've waited a little late to realize how valuable my hearing (and other things) truly are. So I'll be wearing these Walker brand muffs consistently from now into the forseeable future.

Don't know if these are the same folks as the Walker Game Ear. That's all the info I have to pass on here. Wish I had more.

dragon813gt
11-08-2016, 10:59 PM
Good earplugs and thin earmuffs. I hate wearing earmuffs when shooting anything besides handguns. But I've made a point to always double up on hearing protection. I even have earmuffs that attach to my hard hat at work. The ringing in my ears is loud enough and I don't want to make it any worse.

NavyVet1959
11-08-2016, 11:02 PM
To protect my high frequency hearing, I wear the foam ear plugs whenever I am around my wife.

Plate plinker
11-08-2016, 11:07 PM
To protect my high frequency hearing, I wear the foam ear plugs whenever I am around my wife.
Two thumbs up buddy. Great advice.

While shooting i wear disposable foam insert type. Sometimes muffs or both depending on the game of the day.

NavyVet1959
11-08-2016, 11:09 PM
I've been in aircraft where even muffs plus ear plugs still didn't cut down the noise enough.

fiberoptik
11-08-2016, 11:39 PM

+1!!! I've developed selective hearing; can't hear [emoji101] her b*tching after 31 years!
VA claims I hear better than the audiologist. My answer? What?? Hear high pitch far too well. Voices, not so much... [emoji101] I use foam earplugs. Should have used while I shot .44 Blackhawk, then Alice Cooper concert in front of speakers [emoji344]; ears rang for a week! Having a 500 lb bomb dropped near us & laying next to an Abrams tank shooting didn't help either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ickisrulz
11-08-2016, 11:42 PM
Good earplugs and thin earmuffs. I hate wearing earmuffs when shooting anything besides handguns. But I've made a point to always double up on hearing protection. I even have earmuffs that attach to my hard hat at work. The ringing in my ears is loud enough and I don't want to make it any worse.

When I joined the military the doctor at the MEPS station looked in my ears and said, "What the heck happened to your ears?" I had lots of ear infections as a kid and eventually had tubes. But as far as hearing loss is concerned I have been blessed. My hearing is actually very good. I have always worn protection when shooting and visiting industrial areas. However, I have listened to pretty loud music for many years.

ulav8r
11-08-2016, 11:45 PM
Skull Screws ear plugs by 3M as a minimum, rated 30-33 db reduction. Hard shell protectors over them when at the range. The Skull Screws insert easily and last a long time.

corbinace
11-09-2016, 04:27 AM
And remember too, if the ear cup seal becomes hardened with age, it is of no use and needs replaced. Quality protection well cared for are worth striving for.

When I fly, I wear electronic noise cancelling headsets and if the ship is real loud I will wear molded inserts under those. 40 years of abuse have left my hearing severely damaged with the tinnitus louder than any other noise that you could be subjected to. I have not heard silence for over thirty years. Yep, it really sucks, protect yourself please.

Wayne Smith
11-09-2016, 08:04 AM
I will be making a couple of simple catapults for the grandkids and on Monday AM I planed down a white oak board to 5/8" for stock for the frames. Afterwards my ears rang for a good half an hour.

It's not just guns, guys.

XDROB
11-10-2016, 08:22 AM
I have been using molded plugs from my audiologist for years. Indoors, plugs and Peltor Tactical electronic muffs.
Most of the time I do the same outdoors also, like muscle memory.
Molded plugs are not cheap, but hearing loss is Permanent!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

kingstrider
11-10-2016, 06:06 PM
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/kingstrider/stamp.jpg

XDROB
11-11-2016, 08:00 AM
Took a second, but I get it.
I live in CT, so I'm thinking it's not worth the hassle from the state and the Feds. My thinking is it also opens you up for unexpected inspections by Leo. Right or wrong? I have not talked to anyone other then a FFL who had one in CT.

leadman
11-11-2016, 11:54 AM
I got hearing aids about 5 months ago. I had been using plugs and muffs for about the last twelve years but it was not enough. I had muzzle brakes put on most of my guns, including my Contender and Encore pistols and the noise reduction was not enough with both plugs and muffs.
I bought a pair of the Howard Leighton Impact electronic muffs pictured up in this thread since I can't wear my hearing aids when shooting. They do not do a good job of reducing the noise, the pads are too thin and don't seal as well as they should.
I do have 2 applications setting at the ATF to make 2 suppressors but who knows how much longer they will set there.

XDROB
11-11-2016, 01:30 PM
I did install thicker /more sealent to ear, pads on my Peltor muffs.. Seals much better around glasses and ears.
Plugs are custom molded by Audiologist. Use them when shooting indoors and out. Also when mowing lawn or weed wacking.

kingstrider
11-12-2016, 09:03 AM
Took a second, but I get it.
I live in CT, so I'm thinking it's not worth the hassle from the state and the Feds. My thinking is it also opens you up for unexpected inspections by Leo. Right or wrong? I have not talked to anyone other then a FFL who had one in CT.

Wrong. Most states including CT are suppressor friendly and you would be surprised how many people out there own them. 41F took effect in July which eliminated the requirement for CLEO approval, making it much easier for people in certain areas to own them. There is a lot of misinformation out there but owning NFA stuff does not open you to unexpected inspections from LEO or the ATF. The 4th Amendment still applies and they would have to have a warrant to do so. If that is the case then you have bigger problems to worry about.

I do have 2 applications setting at the ATF to make 2 suppressors but who knows how much longer they will set there.

Same here, I have 7 pending applications and am hoping to get them back by the end of the year. Based on the NFA tracker and other websites I am anticipating mid-December. In the interim I am nearing completion of my South Bend lathe restoration.

XDROB
11-12-2016, 11:13 AM
I will start looking into it more seriously then. THANKS, Kingstrider

MostlyLeverGuns
11-12-2016, 11:33 AM
3M E-A-R Classics or 3M E-A-R Pushins (Amazon) cheap and very effective. I keep a pair of each in my shirt pocket at ALL TIMES. Whenever I run a drill, sander, vacuum cleaner, any power or small engine, in a loud truck and of course shooting I wear the earplugs. I guess I am just a sissy, BUT I am 67 and still have very good hearing. Age 18, new .45 Colt, 12 shots, ears rang for days, been using ear plugs since. No, I don't wear them when hunting elk,deer or antelope with a rifle (technically, I should).

fatelk
11-12-2016, 12:54 PM
A few years back I invited a friend from work shooting. He declined, saying he just didn't like the noise. It took me a while to realize that he had never used hearing protection when shooting!

I've gotten much more careful, always using muffs and often plugs too. My hearing is still pretty good and I want to keep it that way. Just the other day in the evening I heard a high pitched beeping in the house after the kids went to bed. I asked my wife what it was, but she couldn't hear it at all. I heard it plain as day, turned out to be a kids toy.

I've always had somewhat sensitive hearing, always hated loud noises. I've been to maybe three or four concerts in my life and hated every one of them. Just too dang loud. My son and I went to a men's event at church a few months ago. They had the music cranked up something fierce. I guess someone assumed that all guys grew up on loud music or something. It was physically painful. My son even asked me why it was so loud. I don't understand why so many people want to damage their hearing.