PDA

View Full Version : windows 10 and new computer

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Yesterday, my 3 year old Laptop seemed to give up the ghost.
I went out this morning and bought a new "All-In-One" style desktop computer.
I went cheap...It has a slower processor (celeron quad-core with 4G ram) than my laptop(i3).
I figured my activities online don't need the speed I had, but I've already noticed that it's slow when watching videos...maybe my cable internet was slow when I tried a video...I haven't tried it again yet...OR maybe it's Win10? when I powered up the computer for the first time to set it up, I chose the "expedited setup", so I suppose I have all the data-saving slowdown features of Win10? I suppose I should look into what I can "unactivate" to speed things up.

...and, I should try to fix...urr, um, I mean have my SIL diagnose and fix the laptop, I suspect harddrive failure.

Any helpful comments much appreciated.

Boolit_Head
11-07-2016, 07:35 PM
Going cheaper means you don't get the faster devices which speed up the interactive experience. Faster disks, more memory, more powerful graphics cards all contribute to the snappy performance we expect. With Windows anything less than 8 gig of ram pretty much won't run. It's a more the merrier sort of situation.

SciFiJim
11-07-2016, 08:42 PM
If it is the hard drive on your laptop, that is an easy swap out fix. The problem then becomes reinstalling all of your software.

Nick Quick
11-07-2016, 08:49 PM
I strongly recommend an SSD hard drive over the regular ones.

RugerFanOH
11-07-2016, 08:51 PM
RAM should help, run a Crucial scan and get as much as you can afford

DougGuy
11-07-2016, 08:54 PM
Expedited Setup means to turn ON all the sharing of location, pics, mic, install and run all the bloatware, basically take your files and everything and share them with all the apps and anybody else who happens to be watching.

Need to comb through EVERY section of the settings menu, you have a metric TON of cr@p to turn off!

funny but buying one of those and running everything default like Microsoft wants is the PC equivalent of voting for YOU know WHO!

smokeywolf
11-07-2016, 09:00 PM
Win 10 is just a big package of spyware. We have four laptops in the house. Three run Win 7 and one runs Win 8. If and when it gets to the point I can't run any of these Windows OSes I'll migrate to Linux. No Win 10 for me.

Ken in Iowa
11-07-2016, 09:21 PM
You may want to return it to the store.... if it is slow now, imagine where you'll be in a year or two.

Walkingwolf
11-07-2016, 09:31 PM
We watch video on a chromebox connected to the TV, works great. Only cost $150.

DougGuy
11-07-2016, 09:53 PM
If it is the hard drive on your laptop, that is an easy swap out fix. The problem then becomes reinstalling all of your software.

A PERFECT opportunity to replace the defective drive and load one of the easier to migrate from windows versios of Linux. Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon would be a perfect install to get a windows user better acquainted with a better OS than windows.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-08-2016, 12:21 AM
thanks for all the helpful hints and ideas.

ozarkhillbilly49
11-08-2016, 03:46 AM
plus one more on the linux. running ubuntu 16 here and no one can beat me to go back to winders!!!

Handloader109
11-08-2016, 08:33 AM
Not big fan of win 10 but the problem is the computer,not the software. Slower than an i3 is slowwwww

fiberoptik
11-08-2016, 11:51 PM
I run Linux now instead of bill gates spyware commonly called "windazed". I don't like people looking in my computer [emoji335]! My hardware is old & runs just fine! Don't need the latest greatest hardware for Linux!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk