PDA

View Full Version : Mom wants a carry gun? Help!!

Teddy (punchie)
11-07-2016, 03:25 PM
Hi forum !!

70 some year old mom wants a carry pistol.

Looking at a 9mm or 38 special.

What's your oppions?

Thanks !!

Hickory
11-07-2016, 03:33 PM
If she has limited training, get her a double-action 38. Easy to use. Point squeeze trigger.
Too many things to keep track of with a semi auto handgun.

smokeywolf
11-07-2016, 03:49 PM
What are her abilities? How often does she shoot? I assume you've seen her shoot lately. How much recoil can she handle and still be able to bring the muzzle back on target reasonably quick?

Hamish
11-07-2016, 03:52 PM
As I type this I'm loading 2.7 of 700X under the MP359-125 for my wife's S&W .38 snubbie for her take the concealed carry course tomorrow. She has damage in her arms and is recoil sensitive.

She will carry it or a Glock 42 .380 as recoil is very manageable with it also.

Teddy (punchie)
11-07-2016, 03:56 PM
She get around just fine. Going to be starting out. Has never shot a pistol. She in good health. Most of the auto 9mm's we looked at are little to hard for her to work the slide. Some the slide releases were hard for me to get released. So we are leaning towards a wheel gun.

She only has to go to yard to shoot.

Wayne Smith
11-07-2016, 03:59 PM
Ruger 38 Special. Light, tough, and easy to use.

B. Lumpkin
11-07-2016, 04:04 PM
38 Snub nose with a trigger job. My mom's hands hurt her more as time goes by. I got a trigger job done on her gun a couple years back that made it much easier for her to shoot. I loaded her an ammo can full of target wadcutter ammo. She carries full power wad cutters when she carries the gun.

She does pitbull rescue and carries the gun to protect herself from the pitbull owners and the dogs themselves.

Multigunner
11-07-2016, 04:05 PM
When Mom was pushing 90 she asked about getting a gun for home defense. I was a bit reluctant to get one for her since she was showing early symptoms of dementia. About that time she had said we should buy nightgowns for the cats so they wouldn't get cold in the winter. Turned out later the wild ideas were due to a side effect of her medications.
One day she was watching TV and said that she saw the gun she wanted, it was an AK47.

snowwolfe
11-07-2016, 04:19 PM
S&W 642. Don't even consider a semi auto. The load up some really light .38 special loads for her to practice with. Then stoke it with +P when she is carrying or using it for protection.

jmort
11-07-2016, 04:24 PM
Ruger LCR .38 special has the best trigger out of the box.

marlin39a
11-07-2016, 04:24 PM
Loading magazines and racking slides will be tough on her. I'd say a J frame S&W with grips that fit the hand.

Postalpaul
11-07-2016, 04:27 PM
Ruger LCR .38 special has the best trigger out of the box.

Hes on it
bought my a LCR first now she has progressed to a M&P Shield 9mm one of the few small pistols she can rack the slide on .

NoZombies
11-07-2016, 04:28 PM
My Mom has a .38 revolver that I picked up for her after my Dad passed. It's loaded with reversed HBWC's loping along at about 800 FPS. They do a number on soft tissue and don't hurt her arthritic wrists too much when she practices with them.

Mytmousemalibu
11-07-2016, 04:58 PM
I'd also say a S&W 642 or Ruger LCR. One bonus of the LCR is it's also available in 327 Fed Mag which is potent but not too rough on the shooter and you can fill it with other .32's and its a 6 shooter VS 5 shot. What I would do first and foremost is go to a class with her and let her try guns on the rental rack at your local range. Try before you buy.

Definitely would look hard at a 38 revo and perhaps some grips she likes.

2ndAmendmentNut
11-07-2016, 05:02 PM
Personally I carry and recommend the older pre lock S&W revolvers, particularly the shrouded hammer variants. Get her a nice 686 or 586 with a 4" or 6" barrel for range use/home protection and a nice little j frame in the hopes that it will actually get carried.

I find that a lot of women do really well with the Sig230/232 line of pistols. Soft shooting guns that are surprisingly accurate and reliable. Available in both 380 and 32 (possibly other calibers as well).

In the end all that matters is the gun gets actually carried and practiced with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soundguy
11-07-2016, 05:02 PM
My vote is a 38. My early 60's wife can't reliably pull the slide back on a medium frame or larger auto. On a small frame auto, she can overcome the spring, but then there isn't enough slide to get a grip on. About the only semi auto she can work is a ruger 22 target that has the ears in back, and well, no spring to mention.

She can fire a revolver just fine however..

If the shooter can lift a 357 framed revolver, load it with 38's, and the extra weight will negate much of the recoil.

Conversly, an ultralight 38 will make the recoil harder feeling.

2ndAmendmentNut
11-07-2016, 05:08 PM
My Mom has a .38 revolver that I picked up for her after my Dad passed. It's loaded with reversed HBWC's loping along at about 800 FPS. They do a number on soft tissue and don't hurt her arthritic wrists too much when she practices with them.

Not to derail this thread, but I just have to ask... How do you keep the backwards HBWC from tumbling? I tried loading HBWC backwards, poor accuracy, and ballistic tests on water and paper showed very poor performance, expansion was actually better when I simply loaded the WC properly.

Preacher Jim
11-07-2016, 05:16 PM
My wife has my mod 36 smith, my daughter my detective special both 38 special.
both can shoot the bullseye at 25 yards

NoZombies
11-07-2016, 05:24 PM
Not to derail this thread, but I just have to ask... How do you keep the backwards HBWC from tumbling? I tried loading HBWC backwards, poor accuracy, and ballistic tests on water and paper showed very poor performance, expansion was actually better when I simply loaded the WC properly.

It's never been an issue, but I don't know that she's ever shot them past about 10 yards. They still punch nice clean round holes at that range, and they expand to about 5/8" in wet newspaper. One about turned a possum inside out when it was digging in her yard lat one night.

To answer the question, I haven't done anything special to them, just loaded as normal.

psweigle
11-07-2016, 05:28 PM
As stated already, my suggestion is a ruger lcr in EITHER 38 special, or 327 federal. The 327 federal will also fire 32s&w, 32 s&w long(32 colt New police), 32 acp(without moon clips), and the 32 h&r magnum. That makes for a very versatile, light weight inexpensive option.

scarry scarney
11-07-2016, 05:33 PM
Before you write off the Glock, take a look at the "Brass Stacker Slide Pull Charging Handle" http://brassstacker.com/glock/slide-pull-charging-handle-for-glock-pistols.html. Available for all models of Glocks (Regular size, aka model 19, and even the small frames, aka 43 & 43).

No, I don't work for them or get a kick back. It's just something I demo for my students that have issues in gripping the slide.

This new version, replaces the back plate, and replaces it with a pull ring. The pull ring give the shooter an easier way of pulling the slide. And still fits most holster.

tygar
11-07-2016, 05:39 PM
It's a no brainer. 38 revolver.

My 70 yo wife who shot 44 mags & 45 acps with no problem, can't rack a slide anymore & recoil hurts her arthritic hands. KISS principal. Pull the trigger, it goes bang. I have always had her carry a 38 revolver even though she was able to shoot autos.

Also, as an instructor, I have found that women, & men, that don't have experience, will be much more comfortable with the simplicity of a revolver.

Have someone slick up the action of a nice 2" S&W or your brand of shootin medicine. Just make sure the trigger pull is something she can handle & practice, practice, practice.

jsizemore
11-07-2016, 06:14 PM
Take her to the store that has a good selection and let her try handling and dryfiring.

11-07-2016, 06:27 PM
No question: .38 w/ almost light loads. A hit with a light load is better than a miss with a .454 Cau. Semi-autos are too complicated for many when TSHTF.

JSnover
11-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Now would also be a good time to start telling her what a great cook she is and how young she looks.
Every.
Single.
Day.

Geezer in NH
11-07-2016, 06:55 PM

Mine don't do that loaded the same load frontwards or backwards I have never shot them backwards past 30 feet they wont miss a torso at that range and sideways is agreat wound! Not what the platform is for, past that I will use the shotgun in the corner or on the floor under the seat of the car or truck.

Geezer in NH
11-07-2016, 06:58 PM
No for the OP take her to a range that rents guns spend some money and see what she likes and can use. That is the best way to decide IMHO and is cheaper than buy try sell buy try sell......................

ghh3rd
11-07-2016, 07:01 PM
Since it's evident that it will be for carry and not only home protection, a SW 642 sounds like a good choice to me as well. When I'm not carrying my Glock 27 I have my 642 in my pocket... it's just over 14 oz unloaded. Very little to go wrong with a revolver and should carry easily in a purse (not that I would know).

Soundguy
11-07-2016, 07:05 PM
Speaking of hbwc, anyone shooting dewc?

B. Lumpkin
11-07-2016, 07:05 PM
One of those Charter Arms pitbulls in 9mm look pretty nifty. They even started offering them in nitride.

jcren
11-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Wife loves her walther pk-380. Larger than a sub compact and much easier to operate and control. Btw, hornady American gunner 380 ammo chrono'd 100 fps faster than critical defense 38 spc in a 2" snub.

Bazoo
11-07-2016, 07:39 PM
I can tell you about my moms experiences with carry. She has a single six, and likes it. She likes the size of the bearcat, but the new ones are too hard to cock for her. A used one, will be easier, and that will come soon as we can find one and have the money at the same time.

Recoil to an old lady will be more severe than it is too a younger person. I personally would think a 22 double action would be a better choice for her. And making sure the double action has an exposed hammer, so she has that option when she wants it. I would not suggest the LCR because it has a hard trigger pull.

OnHoPr
11-07-2016, 07:44 PM
Well, the 38 would be the biggest I would think. The suggestion of the gun rental range is a good one. I would think from the 22 LR or Mag and up to the 38 or a maybe loaded down 9mm like in the suggestion of the Bulldog. The 32s would be a nice middle ground. Any one of them with a double tap in the torso is going to be a determent. Unless she gets perps tougher than the philipinos back around the turn of the last century. That is why they developed the 45 acp. With the lighter weight boolits the recoil can be managed a bit more.

skeettx
11-07-2016, 07:51 PM
S&W Model 36 with Crimson Trace laser,
Good combo
Mike

Fordcragar
11-07-2016, 07:52 PM
My wife is 71, and has a Glock 43; which fit her hand nicely. Until about a year ago, she had never shot a gun. We decided that we needed to have some guns around last year and she wanted to take some classes, so we did. She got her CPL, but probably won't carry all of the time, but could. She has really surprised me that she was interested in guns. We go out shooting a few times a month. Next week we are attending a live fire defensive handgun class.

jonp
11-07-2016, 08:01 PM
Ruger 38 Special. Light, tough, and easy to use.

SP101 357Mag. The weight will help the recoil with the 38sp. The mag is for when you want to shoot it or she gets enough practice to feel comfortable with the 357Mag as carry ammo.

If weight is a problem you can get a pitbull which is light i think and comes in nifty purple, pink, camo, tiger stripe etc..they are a good gun no matter how they look. Stay away from the air weight stuff, the recoil will probably be too much in a self defense loading.

crowbuster
11-07-2016, 08:06 PM
skeettx beat me to it. Wife has carried many, went back to the airweight with crimson trace grips, goin on 3 yr now.

Mytmousemalibu
11-07-2016, 08:22 PM
No for the OP take her to a range that rents guns spend some money and see what she likes and can use. That is the best way to decide IMHO and is cheaper than buy try sell buy try sell......................

That is what I would suggest. Any range worth it's salt will have a pretty good selection of popular choices to try out. A lot better than dry firing a new one, no replacement to taking the same one to the firing line and seeing how it feels when it's actually barking fire. No replacement for that and trying that by buying them gets expensive.

One of those Charter Arms pitbulls in 9mm look pretty nifty. They even started offering them in nitride.

Beings that 9mm is a high pressure cartridge, the recoil impulse might very well be snappy'er than she would prefer. A .38 Special or .327 is probably going to be a better fit. Both can be dropped back to the point of very soft shooting. Fiocchi .38 target wadcutters for example are almost like a .22LR and there's always .38 Short Colt that could be loaded up. Same goes for a .327 Fed Mag, it can be dropped back quite a ways and both have smaller case capacity cartridge choices that could be loaded mildly and make efficient use of a smaller case. And as mentioned, the .327 LCR option is giving you another round onboard.

OP,
I am a dyed in the blood Smith & Wesson fan and the little 642 or a Model 60 would be a great choice, the DA trigger pull is pretty firm stock, out of the box. A Wilson Combat spring kit is like $25-$30 iirc, and that would be a nice touch and add an XS Big Dot front sight. That would be a great choice but out of the box the LCR's have a better trigger. It would probably be more manageable for her along with the nice light weight and pretty comfy grip. Again, go to the range with her and rent some for her to try. I would probably bring a box of target wadcutters in .38 Special along with some reduced recoil/"lighter end of the spectrum", defense loads for her to get a feel for. Some ranges mandate their ammo in rental guns but if you were to politely explain the situation, perhaps they would allow some factory target wadcutters if they they didn't have any. If they had a .327 revo for rental, I would bargain for running some .32 H&R or .32 S&W.

jonp
11-07-2016, 08:23 PM
I was just in my safe and forgot I had a Chiefs Special. That little I Frame is a great carry gun and can still be gotten for a good price used

B. Lumpkin
11-07-2016, 08:27 PM
Beings that 9mm is a high pressure cartridge, the recoil impulse might very well be snappy'er than she would prefer. A .38 Special or .327 is probably going to be a better fit. Both can be dropped back to the point of very soft shooting. Fiocchi .38 target wadcutters for example are almost like a .22LR and there's always .38 Short Colt that could be loaded up. Same goes for a .327 Fed Mag, it can be dropped back quite a ways and both have smaller case capacity cartridge choices that could be loaded mildly and make efficient use of a smaller case. And as mentioned, the .327 LCR option is giving you another round onboard.

The 9mm can be downloaded as well since you don't have to worry about working an action.

Blackwater
11-07-2016, 09:05 PM
This is a very GOOD thing for your Mom to want to learn to shoot a gun, and have one handy just in case. I cast my vote for the DA revolver, but remember, it has to fit HER hands. If she's petite with small hands, that pretty much relegates her to a J-frame Smith or something of similar small size, so it fits her hand, and the DA trigger reach isn't too long for her. A good action job by someone who knows how to do it and still get 100% reliability really helps most newbies shoot better faster.

With autos, it should probably be a single column magazine 9mm, without too long a DA trigger pull, for the same reason as the revolver. You don't want her to not be able to comfortably reach the trigger. A Glock may be a great solution in an auto, because of the trigger reach. With that, though, she'll need to be VERY cautious for unintentional discharges, and the best way to do that, is likely to teach her to keep her trigger finger stretched out straight unless and until she's going to fire it.

Many things to decide on and calculate on her ability to handle. But don't underestimate what she can handle. Sometimes they can surprise you. And don't overestimate what she can handle either, because that can put her in greater danger than not having a gun! So it's a judgment call, and nobody here can really answer your question as well as you and her can. All we can do is give you ideas, and then it's up to you and your Mom to make the decision. One tip: It's usually best to go with whatever your Mom likes best, and feels most comfortable with. For a newbie, there's probably no more important factor than that, as long as it fits her hand comfortably.

Then it's just a matter of training her on it, and ensuring she can hit what she's aiming at. Stress how crucial it is that she become a decent shot, and if she ever has to use it, that she not hesitate. Hesitation gets a lot of people killed or seriously harmed. It's not to "scare the bad guys away," because bad guys aren't usually scared of elderly ladies, even if they have a gun. It takes a lot of courage to pull the trigger, but a lot of older ladies DO have that courage. God bless her!

DougGuy
11-07-2016, 09:13 PM
For some of us who DO know about guns, it is somewhat difficult for us to match up someone with the gun we think might work best for them. I would add my nod for taking her to a range and letting her try some before buying one.

DA revolver in .38 caliber would be my first pick, aluminum frame, aftermarket grips that she likes, laser grip panel optional but might be very helpful if needed so better to have it than not. With any luck she will never need to use it, but any thug that sees that red dot is gonna jump through his skin to get the hell away from it!

Mytmousemalibu
11-07-2016, 09:16 PM
The 9mm can be downloaded as well since you don't have to worry about working an action.

Absolutely, not refuting that at all. The 9mm Pit Bull is going to be heavier and a little bit larger. Both are great for recoil mitigation but will she carry it? Another issue with rimless/non-moonclip revos and the Pit Bull is no exception, they recommend pointing the muzzle vertical for ejection and a heavy, brisk smack to the ejector to dump the empties. I have heard of issues in others like this with brass sticking in the cylinder and the ejector star riding past the rim. Don't know if the Charter is prone to that or not. Recoil, weight, and size are the biggest concern I hear ladies voice about. Most of the older ladies I know and family members end up with all kinds of various things they really liked but in short order stays at home collecting dust because _______ is to heavy or cumbersome to lug around for them. Guns are not above the same scrutiny. I would rather my mom carry a smaller, lighter gun than a comfy to shoot, heavier one that she would abandon in short order. Just an observation I have run into. I try to get friends, coworkers and family interested in firearms at least enough to see the need to have the means of defending their life. I have got quite a few that had zero interest in firearms converts that now have a few guns at home and for carry. It hits close to home for me, my uncle works for Excel, the same one that a deranged felon attacked early this year. This lunatic killed 3 of his colleagues and injured a bunch more. My uncle left about 15min early that day and missed the attack entirely, had he not, this story could have been a lot worse for my family. It is more motivation for me to get people into firearms and better yet, taking classes and carrying. I even make custom Kydex holsters for friends and family for next to nothing or free if it gets them carrying. Even got a few shooting USPSA with me once in a while!

rl69
11-07-2016, 09:17 PM
My first question to anyone telling me they want to start carrying is, are you willing to pull the trigger?

If your unable to pull the trigger a weapon can become a liability quick fast and in a hurry

Mytmousemalibu
11-07-2016, 09:30 PM
My first question to anyone telling me they want to start carrying is, are you willing to pull the trigger?

If your unable to pull the trigger a weapon can become a liability quick fast and in a hurry

That is a very good point. If a person is willing to carry, they had better be willing to take another's life. I do ask that question towards people I have worked with. It also takes a person that has restraint. Not all situations call for the use of deadly force and having that power requires responsibility and maintaining a cool head. The need for critical judgement should be mandatory.

woodbutcher
11-07-2016, 10:21 PM
:) Hi On Ho Pr.The reason those Morros were so tough was the fact that they were hopped up on drugs.Soooooooooooooooo the Lady just might meet one of those types too.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

country gent
11-07-2016, 10:58 PM
My recomendations are fromstart to purchase in order. 1st find out her definiton of concealed carry, some use that term broadly to include home defense, and or actually carrying the weapon in public. 2nd. saftey training expliaining to her, handling, loading and unloading with dummy rounds, and care. This helps Her to be more at ease during Her first opting and to understand whats expected of Her. 3rd have her handle a few different handguns in both semi auto and revolvers. This gives Her an Idea of what "feels right" to her. 4th, With her pick work her thru the functioning and loading unloading and care of it. 5th is the first actual range outing with her top picks of type and style. Keep this short and simple, maybe 10-20 rounds thru each. Keep it simple and easy your more interested in finding what works for her right now. 6th The actaul training with live ammo at the range. A range with rentals can be a big plus here allowing Her to try out new firearms easily and testing to

beagle
11-07-2016, 11:05 PM
All good advice here. Just impress on her the fact that in church it stays on the bottom of the handbag and don't fall out when the handbag tips over. Embarrassing./beagle

tommag
11-07-2016, 11:57 PM
As many have mentioned, a few bucks spent at a place that rents handguns would be my first step. While I've never fired one, the stock trigger on the lcr is much nicer than a stock j frame.if strength is an issue, a double action revolver with a good trigger might be the best way to go. The only way to determine that would be some range time.

tommag
11-08-2016, 12:00 AM
All good advice here. Just impress on her the fact that in church it stays on the bottom of the handbag and don't fall out when the handbag tips over. Embarrassing./beagle
A purse made for concealed carry with a holster like the purse defender from crossbreed would help with that.

Echo
11-08-2016, 02:50 AM

I wouldn't worry about tumbling in a belly gun - shouldn't be shot a range of more than 4-5 ft. And my recommendation goes along with most others - I recommend a Ruger LCR, even in 22Mag(!) if recoil is a problem. Thirty-eight Specials loaded w/full WC's, not the hollow base kind, is my choice with the LCR I carry. Not that much recoil, and makes a nice round hole that doesn't close up fast like RN boolits do.
A friend thought she should have a pistol for self-defense. She is 83 and has macular degeneration - sad case. But she couldn't work the cylinder release on the LCR I brought for her to try. And she can't work the slide on the 25 Auto her hubby left. A watergun filled with ammonia is her best bet...