PDA

View Full Version : Olde Tyme Loading

Bent Ramrod
11-04-2016, 05:04 PM
Things had been getting way too rigorously scientific and stressfully competitive here at El Rancho, so I decided it was time to dig out one of my fun shooters and just mess around some. It is a recreation, after all.

I had found a junker Low Wall action at a Gun Show in 2004, missing a few easily made parts, and two years later, at the same Gun Show, found a pristine inside/VG outside Low Wall barrel in .32 R. F. In my junk pile, I had a fixable Low Wall buttstock, a turned but not inletted Savage 99 forend and a not completely appropriate, but fittable, Swiss buttplate. Found foldable notch rear and bead front barrel sights in my stash that would fit the dovetail notches on the barrel. I officiated at the group marriage of all this good stuff, redid the bushing job on the block and refitted a center fire firing pin, and once the thing was functional, put the refinish job on the back burner with, alas, all too many other such projects.

I took this rifle out with a load that seemed to give reasonable tin-can accuracy last I had tested it (1999, geez!) and checked it on a target. Ten shots went into 3-1/4" X 3-1/2," off the bench, at 50 yards. The load was R-P .32 Long Colt cases, W-W small pistol primer, 5.0 gr SR-80 and the Ideal 299155 hollow base, lubed with the old black Ideal lube.

The aroma of the long obsolete SR-80 really ought to be reproduced in a modern powder. A gourmet experience right up there with Cuban seegars and Chateau Noof-de-Poop wine. I have gotten better 5-shot targets with the heeled boolits 299152 and 299153; maybe an inch smaller for five shots at the same range. But, regardless of the target buttplate, the cartridge is not a target cartridge. Some barrels, not necessarily pristine, seem to do fairly well with the .32 Long RF or CF, some, in better shape, don't seem to do better than minute of squirrel at 50 feet. So far, this one seems to be better than the second type, anyway, though not as impressive as the first, at least yet.

I got a good (6 in 2-5/8", 5 in 1") group once with the hollow base boolit and 4.5 gr Triple Seven, but could not get close to it the next time out. My hollow base boolits are cast from recovered .22 rimfire lead, so quick smokeless powders and BP substitutes seem to have enough blasting power to expand them into the rifling for the satisfactory hunting accuracy standards of 125 years ago. Haven't tested a lot of powders, just Trail Boss, Bullseye and Unique besides the ones mentioned. I wonder how that 209 powder might do, but not enough to pay for a pound of it. Haven't done any work with black powder, at least not yet.

The one disappointment I experienced was that for some reason this Low Wall receiver does not fit my extra Low Wall breechblock, which is in .32 Rim Fire. I wanted to see if the Navy Arms Brazilian .32 RF was on the same order of accuracy as my handloads.

I have one of the modern Lyman tang sights for the 1894 Winchester and I think I'll put it on this rifle and see if anything improves. The notch and bead barrel arrangement certainly contributed to the spread of shots. Uh-oh, looks like the old scientific rigor is starting to creep back into this project, too! :mrgreen:

Der Gebirgsjager
11-04-2016, 05:16 PM
You've done well. From junk to jewel.

Maven
11-04-2016, 06:31 PM
"A gourmet experience right up there with Cuban seegars and Chateau Noof-de-Poop wine."

That's laugh-out-loud funny, BR!:)

Bent Ramrod
11-14-2016, 08:45 PM
i broke down and put a new Lyman tang sight on the Low Wall and shot five more ten-shot groups with the load above.

The screws fit the threads of the Low Wall and the hole spacing is correct. I had to grind a few threads off the end of the long screw, but that was the only modification I needed. Because of side clearance that I could not tighten up with the nut on the opposite side of the spring, the sight staff wobbles a little from side to side; definitely not as well-made as the old Lymans, but I think it wobbled back to the same place, more or less, between shots. I could probably take it apart and put shims between the sides of the staff and the sides of the base.

Most of the shots in the groups went into about 2-1/8"-2-1/4" and the groups got tighter as I experimented with different holds on the bench rest, so it looks like the peep sight cuts about an inch off the spread of the shots relative to the rear barrel sight. Boolits and charges were not weighed. I found a few old reloads loaded with Triple Se7en, and will try those next time I get out to the range.

I'd be interested in seeing what others are getting out of their .32 Longs at this range. I saw one Marlin .32 Rim-or-Center rifle shoot the Brazilian Navy Arms .32 Long RF like a .22 Long Rifle out to 65 yards or so, and a Remington Smoot pistol that shot likewise at 20 yards or so for three cylindersful before it needed to be cleaned. Normally, though, the .32 Longs, rim- or centerfire, that I've tried to shoot and seen others shoot do about as well as what I show here. In the Good Old Days, two inches at 50 yards was remarkable accuracy for most small hunting cartridges, and under two inches was "gilt-edge."

kootne
11-18-2016, 08:42 PM
I get 2", 5 shot groups at 50 about 1/2 the time with loads my guns like. I use the 299153 bullets sold on gunbrokers, a 32 roundnose 90gr. from Old West Moulds and a 31 090S from Accurate Molds. They seem to be picky about the load/bullet. I just got an old tong tool with a mold for the 32S bullet but have not cast any yet. But I have been able to get both my guns to shoot by experimenting.
I use 30:1 lead, pan lube with SPG and then tumble lube with Rooster Jacket. The Rooster lube puts a thin film of wax over the bullet so they aren't near as sticky. One of my goals was a shell I carry in my pocket.
I have made up a pair of scope mounts using some aluminum "Tactical" flashlight mounts that are 2 piece, bolt together that clamp around the barrel. I mounted some Lyman style blocks to them. I will need to pull the forearm to mount the rear one but it will let me test loads with my 20x Litschert rather than barrel sights. I am hoping to get better groups that way. My old eyes are not getting any better with barrel sights.
Glad to see you are working along similar lines.
Dennis

marlinman93
11-18-2016, 10:44 PM
I've had a bunch of Marlin 1891,1892, and Ballard rifles in .32 Long over the years. The little 1891, 1892 got very good 50 yd. accuracy with several factory CF and RF ammos. Most were the Cannuck brand in CF and RF, as I bought up a huge supply when I stumbled across 18 boxes of RF and CF at a local gun show cheap! Both had plated bullets like some .22RF has, and the Cannuck shot groups in guns with good bores that were under 2" at 50 yds. I sold my repeaters, but still have a couple Ballards in .32 Long RF/CF, and still have a dozen boxes of the Cannuck ammo in both RF and CF. I also reload .32 Long CF, and really enjoy bumping the loads up a little hotter in my Ballards. My mold drops a 100 gr. bullet that I use 4.0 grs. of Unique behind. Gives velocities of around 950 fps in my Ballard, and I've gotten decent groups even at 100 yds. with it.