PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on 30-06 loads

robertbank
10-31-2005, 02:19 PM
Well I have been reloading for my psitols for years and casting as well. Now I would like to try shooting cast bullets out of my 30-06.

I will be Lyman GC 311291 170 gr bullet cast from wheel weights.

Looking for a decent load that you have tested anf found to be accurate. Anything things to watch for or hints in loasding this bullet would be appreciated.

Stay Safe

felix
10-31-2005, 02:40 PM
standard rifle primers, 23-25 grains 4227, 4198, N120. VV powders are the most consistant from lot to lot of all the powders manufactured in this speed range, should you want to buy powder in one pound cans only. ... felix

sundog
10-31-2005, 03:05 PM
Robert, be very careful using slow powders in large cases with cast boolits. Even though alot a people say it can't be done intentionally you always run the risk of SEE. I highly recommend 4227 for a starting place, or even 2400 or Herco. Felix mentioned 4198, another good'un. For a little more speed try 3031 and 4895. Notice no ball powders listed? Well, if you use one, it needs lots of pressure to get consistent burn, kinda self defeating in some respects trying to get cast to shoot good (ball will work good however for medium cases like 30-30, 32 Spl, and 35 Rem with a not so light boolit as long as pressure is up). I've been shooting cast in '06 for a LONG time, and 4831 would NOT be a first choice. Sorry if that bursts your bubble. sundog

StarMetal
10-31-2005, 03:29 PM
I've shot cast in a 30-06 for alot of years also. The Lyman Cast Bullet manual has LOTS of loads for slow powders. I've shot tons of the old Hodgdon's H870 out of my 06 and it was one of the best damn powders I ever shot out of it. Currently I'm running through a batch of surplus 5010 and you can't get much slower then that and it shoots pretty good also..although for smokeless powder it's a tad dirty. As for the comment on ball powders, well that H870 is a ball powder and I mentioned how that shot for me, another I'm using now is surplus 844. To say that doesn't have any applications in larger cases is wrong. I'd love to have some 4831 on hand, one nice thing about that is you fill most the case up and don't need a filler, plus it's gentle on the bullet. One thing though is that I would use the slower burning powders with a heavier bullet like the 311284 or the 314299. By the way I've used that 5010 clean down into the real small bores like 243 with decent results. I'll admit I'm not a real big fancier of pistol or shotgun powders, or real fast rifle powders in my cast bullet shooting in rifles. I'm not out to be economical, I just like shooting bullets I make.

Joe

45 2.1
10-31-2005, 04:05 PM
Robert, be very careful using slow powders in large cases with cast boolits. Even though alot a people say it can't be done intentionally you always run the risk of SEE. sundog

SEE can occur when you reduce the charge of a slow burning powder below a certain level. This level has been opined to be somewhere around 70 to 80% of case capacity of the powder.A slow burning powder usually fills the case.

sundog
10-31-2005, 05:15 PM
I think I may have inadvertently misspoke or maybe did not explain enough about slow powders. 45 2.1 is right in that LIGHT charges of slow powders seem to be the culprit for inducing SEE. Joe, I've also used slow powders and some of them do right nicely, but they normally fill better than seventy five percent of the case. You CAN make 4831 work with cast in the '06 (I have), but like I said, I would not start there, not first choice. I would rather have some early on success and a nice comfort level first. Just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like, don't we? HAR. sundog

beagle
10-31-2005, 05:33 PM
You all done forgetting the old standbys...Reloader 7 and 4759. Couple of my favorites./beagle

sundog
10-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Beagle, 10-4 on the RL7, but I can't stand the acrid aroma of the smoke. sundog

StarMetal
10-31-2005, 05:47 PM
Read Jumptraps load for the 7.62x54 Russian in the thread Loads for the 7.62x54 Russian. Mirrors exactly what I've found slow burning powders to do, and here he's using a one alot slower then 4831. My opinion is first these slow powder such as 4831 require just about a full case to get a decent velocity, like say 1600 fps or slightly more in a 30-06 for example. I think they are great beginners because slow powders are very forgiving on your bore getting leaded because of too fast a powder. Again they don't need a filler either. I'm not sure how many grains it would be for 4831 to only fill say half the 06 case, but what fool would do that? The velocity would be super low for one thing. There can be just as many safety hazards with the faster burning powders as the slow one. Take Buckshot for example, double charged 4227 in his grandfather's low serial numbered 03 Springfield and blew it up quite satisfactory. I'm going to load a light cast bullet in a large case I'll go the faster powder route, but generally I like to use the slowest powder I can get away with.

Joe

David R
10-31-2005, 06:15 PM
My experience:

11 grains of Red Dot works great.

20 grains of 2400 is one of my best accuracy loads. 22.5 with the 311291 is my 200 yard load. My 311291 comes out at 282 grains.

15 grains of WC820

11 grains of Red dot, 12.5 grains of Unique, or 13.5 grains of Herco worked great with the 311466, a 150 gr boolit.

I have not got to the 4895 yet in my enfield, but will be reporting soon. I did try 45 grains, but it was more than I wanted in the velocity department. I just want accuracy, not to get kicked every shot.

Can't wait to try a case full on 860. I just got the surplus powder and have had good luck so far.

What ever powder you use, make sure the boolit fits the gun. This is far more important. You are on the right track using a heavier boolit.

Does the bore ride fit the bore? In my enfield, I load so the boolit actually gets pushed in the case as I close the bolt. Works for me.

Have a BLAST
David

Buckshot
10-31-2005, 10:07 PM
..............Well Beagle beat me to it! I was scrolling down in amazement that good ole SR4759 hadn't been mentioned, ha!

The 30-06 is actually really easy to get shooting cast well if the rifle is mechanicly sound. Has a bit more combustion area then would be ideal (go to the 30-30 for that :D) but it's pretty forgiving.

I like, and have had excellent accuracy with boolits of that weight using 10-13 grs Red Dot, 12 -16 gs Unique, 16- 20grs 2400, 18-24grs 4227 and SR4759, and 22-26grs 4198. What's nice is that they're accurate without killing ya, yet still have some juice to-em.

If you have a desert handy:-D, or some other area where you can shoot way over yonder, it gives you a chance to stand the ladder of your Springfield's Buffington sight up, and run the elevator up there amongst the big numbers.

............Buckshot

26Charlie
10-31-2005, 11:46 PM
I have used this bullet with loads of 22 to 25 grains of 4198, Scot 4197, and RLR7. It is quite an accurate load in the various .30-06's, mostly Springfield sporters, I have shot it in. These loads give 1650 to 1800 f/s, and don't leave a lot of unburned powder cluttering up the works like slow powders sometimes do. I highly recommend the bullet and reinforce Felix's post on this.

versifier
11-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Buckshot, Starmetal, Do you get much leading with ww bullets at those pressures/velocities? I've gone to lino in my .308 to try to minimize it. Maybe I need to size them a little larger. Thoughts? I've never had any leading problems with the .30-30 and ww. :-?

StarMetal
11-01-2005, 01:50 PM
For me 30-06, at least the ones I have and have owned were very forgiving far as finding good loads and no leading. So to answer your question, no I didn't get any leading.

We once had what we called a 200,000 rpm contest. That was to see who could shoot a cast bullet out of any caliber to obtain 200,000 bullet revolutions, which is pretty darn fast velocity wise. I got my 7mm-08 up to near 2700 fps with ZERO leading. I never knew it would do that.

Joe

BlueMoon
11-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Many loads have worked well in my 30-06 with gc'ed lead boolits. Two easy loads were a 170grn boolit with 36.0grn of 4895 or 4064 for 2170fps or 2100fps.

Bill

felix
11-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Bill, those loads look ideal to me. Might try them in the 308W at 2 grains less. ... felix

krag35
11-01-2005, 05:32 PM
I only have one 06 load w/ cast, but I'll share it.

WW cases
CCI 200 primer
36.0 gr Aac 2520
Lyman 311284 A/C WW

Only lube the 2 bottom groves w/ Lyman's Super Moly.

krag35

1Shirt
11-01-2005, 05:39 PM
I have been loading 06 with cast for many years, and have a fondness for 2400 and 4759 with the edge going to 2400. 20 grains of 2400 will work as a great starting point for bullets from 150 through 220. Have shot a lot with fillers and a lot without fillers and for range shooting can't tell any difference. If I were to carry these into the field to hunt, would use a filler to keep the powder on the primer as the rifle would be carried in a varity of positions. I like standard primers, and prefer Rem, but that is a matter of preference. I seat to Lyman recommended OAL lengths and have never had a problem chambering any of my loads accordingly. 2400 is always available it seems, but it is sometimes difficult to get 4759. These two powders make shooting cast a bit more reasonable than with some of the powders that require 40 or more grains, and with the cost of powder today, that is to me a big consideration.
1Shirt

StarMetal
11-01-2005, 05:42 PM
1shirt

I bet if you shot both those same 2400 loads (one with filler and one without filler) that you'd see a difference. Wanta bet?

Joe

David R
11-01-2005, 07:21 PM
No betting, but every time I have tried filler, I got better balistics and worse groups.

This is only MY expierence.

YES 2400 Kicks butt. I am now finding out WC820 is as good. Still testing. If it is, I will buy a few more kegs to hoard.

David

StarMetal
11-01-2005, 09:13 PM
I forgot to add over a chronograph in that statement.

Joe

robertbank
11-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Fellows you gave me lots to chew on. I went with 20 gr 2400. Took my rifle, a Husquavarna Husky out with a friend from the RCMP. He is a much better shot than I. I wanted to sight my rifle in at 100 yards, thence 1 inch high at that range. Hunting shots, given the amount of cover around here would not be more than 100 yards likely.

Well once we got zeroed, Colin fired two rounds 1" high 1/2" apart. I then proceded to drop one round in between the two. Mission accomplished. I haven't chronoed the load yet but expect about 1700 fps +/-. Nice to be able to fire the lady again without taking my shoulder off. Seems it kicks more now than it did back in '68 when I bought the gun.

Incidently =, no hint of leading either - a bonus. Next up a deer hunt on the Charlottes. Season starts in June and runs to December. I believe the limit now is eight per day and possession of 25.

Before you guys go bonkers let me explaiin. The deer are ferel deer brought in about 100 years ago. They are about the size of a great dane, full grown. Surely must be the smallest white tails on the planet. A drive up and down the island will have you see a dozen or more anytime during the day. They are everywhere! Gun is probably a tad big for the game but there is another critter on the island - black bears and they come regular size and bigger!

Thanks again, will heed everyones advice.

Stay Safe

versifier
11-20-2005, 12:14 AM
Robertbank, Can I just go bonkers anyway? Where is/are the Charlottes? The place sounds like freezer filling heaven. Could you be a little more specific as to where we who cast might seek such nirvana? I'm not too far from Canada. Also where to buy licenses, website where we can look up campsites, maps, laws, and restrictions, etc.? [smilie=p: [smilie=p: :lovebooli

robertbank
11-20-2005, 01:11 AM
Happy to:

I am going to assume you are coming up by camper. Drive to Vancouver, Hwy. #1 to Hope and head north to Pr. George (10 hours). Turn left and head west to Pr. Rupert (7 1/2 hours). The last part is through the Skeena Valley, bring your camera). Catch the ferry (Overnight trip) to Queen Charlotte City (Approx. six hours - bring graval) crossing can be rough and you are there.

Take a look at a map. Go up the coast from Vancouver. IF you get to Alaska you went a tad to far. See those islands off the coast of Pr. Rupert. Bring your golf clubs because there is a funky little 9 holer at the North end of the Island at Massat that is fun to play. Three of the holes will remind you of Scotland (I've been and they do!). Not many folks can say they played golf in the Queen Charlottes.

Here you go just click and hunt, pardon the pun. You might want to take a look at the fishing regulations. Some of the best salmon and halibut fishing in the world is located around the Charlottes.

http://www.travel.bc.ca/

http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/default_e.asp

http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/synopsis.htm

Check Canada Firearms Centre as you will have to follow and comply with entry requirements for your guns. Don't get upset it is just as bad when we head south with ours, maybe even worse.
Don't bring your handguns unless you intend to attend a formal shoot. PITA really so leave them at home. You will be safe I can assure you, hardly any terrorists up here these days, Hillary scared them all away.

I am in Terrace so if you do come up drop me a line at: thenortherncrow@hotmail.com and we will plan an evening of Molson's and telling lies.

Stay Safe

ps. Terrace has a 6800 yard Championship Golf Course as does Kitimat (45 minutes from Terrace) and Pr. Rupert, your jumping off spot.

versifier
11-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Robertbank,
Thank you for all the info! I was hoping for a nice weekend jaunt, but 3500 miles or so from New England is pushing it a bit, I guess! [smilie=f: As most of the news from Canada we get around here is in French (which I can puzzle out on paper but can't understand spoken), I tend to lose sight of how BIG Canada really is. I bet there are a lot of us from the NW that will want to check it out, though. Please post some pics when you get back, especially if you can recover a bullet or two. I'd be very interested in their terminal performance. Good hunting! :Fire:

robertbank
11-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Yes that is a fair hike. Well if you do decide to come up you will be certainly welcome, we will keep the light on for you.

Regards,