PDA

View Full Version : jumped in big time

BCOWANWHEELS
11-03-2016, 10:57 PM
Well decided to start smelting and casting lead bullits........... heres what I,ve got so far

3 clayton lambert furnaces with all related components
1 lee 4-20 bottom pour pot
650 lb of indoor range lead
270 lbs of wheel weights
various lee molds
lee bullit sizers
10 gal coleman fuel
welders gloves , safety glasses
ingot molds a bunch with different sizes cast iron
skimming spoon / strainer spoon
metal bucket for quenching bullits
metal dross / slag decated bucket
thermometer
1 5lb bar of super hard lead

boy its expensive to get equip and setup/////////////

now if I can just find somebody to tell me exactly how to get the clayton lambert furnace fired up

woodbutcher
11-04-2016, 12:09 AM
:) Buddy,looks like you have done been bit big time.Welcome aboard.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Hick
11-04-2016, 12:58 AM
You may have set a record for startup effort. Looks like you have everything and then some. BUT-- you'll find a way to use it all and enjoy it! Let us know how your startup works out! And, when you run into questons, you'll get lots of good help here.

rancher1913
11-04-2016, 10:49 AM
get a face shield, not just glasses. you will thank me at some time in your future, it took me 3 years till a tinsel fairy visit and I was damn glad for the face shield.

lightman
11-04-2016, 11:44 AM
It looks like you are off to a good start. I can't help with your furnace, just not familiar with those. I'm sure someone on here will be able to help. When you get it fired up, feel free to ask questions. Welcome Aboard!

BCOWANWHEELS
11-04-2016, 09:49 PM
thanks guys. going to scrounge up some sawdust from local cabnet making shop and candels from walmart for fluxing.

Cowboy_Dan
11-05-2016, 10:38 PM
get a face shield, not just glasses. you will thank me at some time in your future, it took me 3 years till a tinsel fairy visit and I was damn glad for the face shield.

Definately on the face sheild. Only been doing this for about 2 years and no Tinsel Fairy yet, but I do find bits of lead "glitter" on it, usually outside of where goggles would help.

SWANEEDB
11-05-2016, 10:46 PM
thanks guys. going to scrounge up some sawdust from local cabnet making shop and candels from walmart for fluxing.

Saw dust from a cabinet shop is not a good idea, has all kinds of stuff in it, fumes would not be good. Just get some pet bedding from Wally world.

Bzcraig
11-06-2016, 12:57 AM
Saw dust from a cabinet shop is not a good idea, has all kinds of stuff in it, fumes would not be good. Just get some pet bedding from Wally world.

+1 on this cabinet shops use a lot of particle woods

woodbutcher
11-06-2016, 11:56 AM
:) When ever I do any work with molten lead,I have my regular glasses,safety glasses plus the full face shield.Over kill?Definitely.But they don`t do eye transplants yet.You loose one and that`s it.PERIOD.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

wyofool
11-06-2016, 08:22 PM
I would add get something like this leather apron. https://www.amazon.com/3836-Apron-Leather-24X36Dark-Tillman/dp/B003GMDJ2A/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1478477998&sr=1-1&keywords=3836+Bib+Apron+Leather+24X36Dark+Brown+by +Tillman

ipijohn
11-07-2016, 12:06 PM
I would add get something like this leather apron. https://www.amazon.com/3836-Apron-Leather-24X36Dark-Tillman/dp/B003GMDJ2A/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1478477998&sr=1-1&keywords=3836+Bib+Apron+Leather+24X36Dark+Brown+by +Tillman

Having done a lot of welding in my life I would recommend one WITHOUT POCKETS, which tend to catch hot flying metal.

gwpercle
11-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Well decided to start smelting and casting lead bullits........... heres what I,ve got so far

3 clayton lambert furnaces with all related components
1 lee 4-20 bottom pour pot
650 lb of indoor range lead
270 lbs of wheel weights
various lee molds
lee bullit sizers
10 gal coleman fuel
welders gloves , safety glasses
ingot molds a bunch with different sizes cast iron
skimming spoon / strainer spoon
metal bucket for quenching bullits
metal dross / slag decated bucket
thermometer
1 5lb bar of super hard lead

boy its expensive to get equip and setup/////////////

now if I can just find somebody to tell me exactly how to get the clayton lambert furnace fired up

Just think of all the money you will be saving !

I can't believe I started with only a small cast iron pot , ladle , single cavity Lyman mould, my best friends daddy had a tire shop and supplied me with free wheel weights. Things were so simple back then.

Epd230
11-07-2016, 02:29 PM
Your plumbers furnace runs on the same principle as the lightweight camping stoves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7McMiGX9SY

Watch this video and see if that helps you.

NoZombies
11-07-2016, 04:44 PM
While I have no particular issue with Lee molds, and use a number, I would also recommend that you pick up a few molds from other makers as well, as the differences can be eye opening.