PDA

View Full Version : 24,600 LBS lead in Anniston, AL

corvette8n
06-12-2008, 03:29 PM
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1772354&convertTo=USD

would make a nice group buy
or keep an individual in boolits for a while.

and some brass to go with it.
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1782381&convertTo=USD

now all we need are primers and powder

TexasJeff
06-12-2008, 04:18 PM
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1772354&convertTo=USD

would make a nice group buy
or keep an individual in boolits for a while.

and some brass to go with it.
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1782381&convertTo=USD

now all we need are primers and powder

Yes, indeedy.

We could probably factor in a Cast Boolits group buy per pound price of say around .10¢ per pound, (ie $100 would get you one thousand pounds of lead), and then place a collective bid from everyone who wants to take part.

Jeff

Tristan
06-12-2008, 04:23 PM
I sincerely wish I had the location and means to bid on some of those auctions.

Probably a lot of effort without sufficient profit.

- Tristan

Ricochet
06-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Aw, man. I used to live in Anniston.

pumpguy
06-12-2008, 05:11 PM
I would think someone like Black Hills or one of the other big reloading companies will outbid any and all of us.

alamogunr
06-12-2008, 06:03 PM
I would think someone like Black Hills or one of the other big reloading companies will outbid any and all of us.

I would think any big reloading company would need to use certified alloy or have some assurance that what they were using was identifiable. This stuff looks like it would be close to pure or with very little alloying metals.

Any plan to bid would have to include transportation to a central location to divide it up. That could be a deal breaker considering the price of fuel. What is central to me is too far for someone else and vice versa.

John
W.TN

Freightman
06-12-2008, 07:38 PM
I noticed that they have had no bids, what if a fellow bid $50 the starting bid and got it? wonder what a rental truck would cost? intersting!
I Do know how to drive a truck also as that is what I did for 37 years.

pumpguy
06-12-2008, 07:52 PM
I would think any big reloading company would need to use certified alloy or have some assurance that what they were using was identifiable. This stuff looks like it would be close to pure or with very little alloying metals.

Any plan to bid would have to include transportation to a central location to divide it up. That could be a deal breaker considering the price of fuel. What is central to me is too far for someone else and vice versa.

John
W.TN

I was thinking more in terms of the .223 brass.[smilie=1:

gon2shoot
06-12-2008, 08:06 PM
I'll kick in the 50 bucks, if we can ship it to Jr's place and split it up later:-D

alamogunr
06-12-2008, 09:49 PM
I was thinking more in terms of the .223 brass.[smilie=1:

You had better have a plan for the rest of the brass. They don't split and you probably only have a limited amount of time to get it off government property. With the price of scrap copper and alloys that is a valuable commodity. It won't go cheap.

Pardini
06-13-2008, 12:48 AM
I got my hands on some lead from the walls of an X ray room years ago. It was stamped "low level radio activity" It drossed endlessly and had a strange blue/purple color. I got a little worried about it and gave it all away as a blanket prize at a rendezvous.

mike in co
06-13-2008, 01:25 AM
go read the fine print.....$10,000 deposit just to get permission to bid on the brass.

for educational purposes, i suggest we watch this and see what happens.

i watched a couple, but they went higher than scrap plus shipping....

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

jswaff
06-13-2008, 07:16 AM
Bid on the lead is already over $1700.00 and the bidding didn't start on this until this morning with a few days to go.

Ricochet
06-13-2008, 09:20 AM
I got my hands on some lead from the walls of an X ray room years ago. It was stamped "low level radio activity" It drossed endlessly and had a strange blue/purple color. I got a little worried about it and gave it all away as a blanket prize at a rendezvous.The biggest part of my lead is X-ray room sheet. It doesn't become radioactive as the result of its use in X-ray rooms. All lead, of course, has low level radioactivity. And as someone recently pointed out, it's all "depleted uranium."
:mrgreen:

Cherokee
06-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Pure lead will generate blue and purple colors in the pot. Add tin/antimony and you don't get the colors. Group buy sounds good but does not seem practical.

HollandNut
06-13-2008, 05:35 PM
The lead is up to $2801.00 .. Only two hours from me ..

Tom Herman
06-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Ricochet is right. The lead doesn't become radioactive from the X rays.
At worst, when an X ray hits lead, it will excite the atom, and then as it drops back to its resting state, it will give off some lower energy gamma rays.
In order to make something radioactive, you have to expose it to neutrons, LOTS of neutrons! And the only way to get them is to expose the lead or other material to neutrons from a nuclear reactor or neutron bomb.
Go and Google "SL-1 reactor" for that disaster when a military reactor suffered a prompt criticality. Three people died, and because of the neutron bombardment, their bodies actually became highly radioactive!
"Low level radioactivity lead" is something that is sought after in the nuclear field. It is essentially classic lead, mined and processed before the start of the Atomic Age.
The problem with anything manufactured after 1945 is that due to atmospheric testing that dispersed radiation, the biosphere has been contaminated with very low levels of radioactivity.
That doesn't mean squat to us, as it's a meaninglessly small increrase, but it's enough to affect certain scientific experiments where you need to eliminate as much of the background radiation as possible.
That's where the lead comes in: Any that was mined and processed before 1945 doesn't contain the post 1945 contaminants, so it is carefully processed for those experiments that need the lowest background radiation possible.
Imagine Roman water pipes, and anything else vintage going into the melting pot...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

The biggest part of my lead is X-ray room sheet. It doesn't become radioactive as the result of its use in X-ray rooms. All lead, of course, has low level radioactivity. And as someone recently pointed out, it's all "depleted uranium."
:mrgreen:

trooperdan
06-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Up to $7,300 now.

HollandNut
06-16-2008, 03:37 PM
$11500.00 with 25 hours left ..

Thats almost .49 a pound , add freight to that , wont be much of a deal , one day last week , scrap was at .45 ..

KYCaster
06-16-2008, 04:30 PM
I was surprised to see that the brass sale said, "mutilation not required". Didn't our friend Slick Willy end the sale of surplus ammo and brass for reuse as reloading components? Or does that apply only to ammo?

Seems to me that the last time I looked at a gov. brass sale it required the buyer to swear that it wouldn't be used for reloading. Anybody have up to date info?

Jerry

BTW...that ban was not voted on by congress, it was by "executive order" IIRC. Ya think maybe that decision can be reversed by "executive order"...NOT!!!

oneokie
06-16-2008, 04:52 PM
posted by KYCaster;

I was surprised to see that the brass sale said, "mutilation not required".
From the auctions that I have looked at, the brass from installations in the NE are the ones that require mutilation.

376Steyr
06-18-2008, 02:37 PM
The lead auction ended up at 50 cents a pound. Oh well. If you click on the pictures for the brass auction, it will take you to a gallery of 12 pictures. One of the pictures is a closeup shot of the types of brass in the bins. Looks like some of the 7.62 brass is from blank ammo.