PDA

View Full Version : I have to change out the lead in my pot

AbitNutz
11-03-2016, 04:45 AM
I'm really dreading this. I have some unknown alloy in a lead pot. I need to drain it and replace with a known mix.

I'm really concerned about just draining the lead out. I had a pot I did that to years ago and it clogged the spout and it was a nightmare to clear...I mean a nightmare.

Is there a process that I can use to minimize this? Or was what I experienced a fluke?

fred2892
11-03-2016, 04:48 AM
Probably a fluke. If it were me I would get the alloy up to temperature, give it a good fluxing and drain.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Bookworm
11-03-2016, 05:53 AM
I just put on welding gloves, picked the pot up, and dumped it into a muffin pan.

The spout was clogged with something, I ended up using a drill bit held in my fingers, spinning it slowly with pliers, to clear the orifice. I had the pot inverted, working from the bottom.

AbitNutz
11-03-2016, 06:16 AM
That is a nightmare to me. I have my pot bolted down.it's a master caster and weighs a young ton.
I just put on welding gloves, picked the pot up, and dumped it into a muffin pan.

The spout was clogged with something, I ended up using a drill bit held in my fingers, spinning it slowly with pliers, to clear the orifice. I had the pot inverted, working from the bottom.

Lloyd Smale
11-03-2016, 07:44 AM
just don't try to get the last drop out of the pot. Leave about a 1/2 inch of lead in it. The **** all floats to the top so its that last little bit of lead that plugs stuff up. Either leave it as in a 20lb pot it would change your new alloy all that much or just dump it out in a ingot mold by hand.

psweigle
11-03-2016, 08:53 AM
Keep it to temp and flux it good. Drain to almost empty. Reflux and scrape it real good then drain the rest. Good luck.

JAbee
11-03-2016, 09:01 AM
if you use a drill bit...wouldn't you run a risk of damaging the spout?

Dusty Ed
11-03-2016, 09:08 AM
AbitNutz
I have a Magma Master Caster TOO.What I would do is take an unscrew the nozzle for the bottom of the Pot ,that leaves you with a much larger opening to pour through .
If it starts to clog up,. take a coat hanger like wire an bend it to keep your hands free of the Spout an poke it up the spout.
If you want to take the pot off there is only 2 bolts holding it in place.
Wear Gloves an Eye Protection
To give you a Idea of my experience ,I'm 77 years old an have been cast for 65 years first lead soldiers an then fishing weights we used to sell them to the Hardware store an then to Bullets lots of them From round balls to BPRC an cannons.
Dusty Ed

mold maker
11-03-2016, 09:10 AM
A slightly undersized bit and turning it by hand should only cut the alloy. The spout is much harder than your alloy.

Dusty Bannister
11-03-2016, 09:41 AM
It sounds like the OP has an alloy issue and wants to remove as much as possible without taking the chance on getting a clogged nozzle. I would agree that draining a majority of the pot after fluxing and stirring and scraping would be step one. Then I would suggest adding a few pounds of clean pure lead and bringing that up to normal heat and repeat the flux and skim and then pour into ingots leaving enough in the pot to cover the bottom of the pot. Usually the dross that clogs will be just floating on the surface and that is what I want to keep out of the nozzle area.

By adding clean lead, you would dilute any other unwanted alloy in the pot. Drain that alloy out as you did the first step. The remaining alloy would have little affect on the fresh alloy you are adding to the pot. I do not like cleaning casting furnaces either, especially if there are no leak issues that would require disassembly to clean. Good luck. Dusty

lightman
11-03-2016, 09:45 AM
I would heat it up and flux it, then drain almost all of it. Do you smelt your scrap lead in another pot and flux it well?

runfiverun
11-03-2016, 11:10 AM
I'm dreading doing this too.
I need to clean my 40 lb pot out.
it hasn't ever been cleaned [since early 90's] but I'm sure it's time.
I need to look the rod and stuff over too.
I'm just gonna empty it totally and clean all the gunk out and strip off the spout cover etc.

georgerkahn
11-03-2016, 11:57 AM
I believe Dusty Bannister -- post #10 -- indicated precisely same thoughts as what I would have suggested. I had a Lyman pot, which in draining attempts would also clog bottom spout. My remedy was to play the flame of a small butane torch on spout bottom, while diddling the spout through the mix from atop with a length of generic hardware store variety wire. I was afraid of damaging nozzle with a drill bit. This worked for me on several occasions. Good luck!
geo

NavyVet1959
11-03-2016, 12:12 PM
That is a nightmare to me. I have my pot bolted down.it's a master caster and weighs a young ton.

So, I guess you're rethinking the wisdom of bolting the pot down now? :)

I have a Lee 20 lb pot, so I just ladle it into ingots until it gets close to empty and then turn it over and pour the rest out.

Boolit_Head
11-03-2016, 12:43 PM
If you have a Lee pot you get to be an expert on clearing the nozzle so it can start dripping again. I use a paperclip bent in a slight J shape so I can insert it while my fingers stay above the level of the nozzle. Then I can lift the lever and insert the wire and jiggle it so what ever is dislodged and hopefully flows out through the nozzle into a ingot mold. Works the same on both my Lee 10 and 20 pound pots.

NavyVet1959
11-03-2016, 01:44 PM
If you have a Lee pot you get to be an expert on clearing the nozzle so it can start dripping again. I use a paperclip bent in a slight J shape so I can insert it while my fingers stay above the level of the nozzle. Then I can lift the lever and insert the wire and jiggle it so what ever is dislodged and hopefully flows out through the nozzle into a ingot mold. Works the same on both my Lee 10 and 20 pound pots.

Or when it clogs up, you just use that as an excuse to try out bottom pour ladle casting. :)

Dragonheart
11-03-2016, 03:27 PM
Flux the lead well and remove the deposits. Then drain the lead into whatever. If there is a clog I would not use a drill bit as it can cause damage; use a welding head cleaning tool, which is a set of stainless wires, starting with the smallest size. Let the pot cool then mix up a pint or more of 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar. Use a wire brush by hand and the mix to quickly dissolve the remaining lead and caked on residue. Pour the mix into the pot and let it run through the spout, retrieving the mix, strain out the crud and pour through repeatedly until the pot is completely clean and back to the bare metal. As long as you have a small hole where the mix will run through the spout the mix will continue dissolve the residue and flush it out. add fresh mix if needed. The mix will now contain lead so as with any lead it is hazardous.