PDA

View Full Version : Sorta new 30-06

tazman
11-02-2016, 12:06 AM
I took a Remington long action I had another barrel on and had it re-barrelled in 30-06. It started life with me as a 243 Ackley Improved. The barrel was shot out so I decided to have it re-barreled to a caliber I really like. The 30-06.
I found a gunsmith Named Jim Knapp near Colona, Illinois who used to be an armorer for the Army. He took the Bartlein barrel blank and installed it for me. He got the rifle back to me just yesterday.
I put the barreled action in a Choat varmint stock. I installed a Weaver T36 scope on it that just arrived today from Midway. I took it all to the range with a set of ladder loads custom loaded for this rifle to see what it would do.
The loads were Winchester brass, Hornady 168 and 178 grain HPBT bullets, H414 powder, and Winchester primers. Powder charges ranged from 53 grains to 57 grains in .5 grain increments.
The loads were set up to be .010 off the lands.
These are the best groups it shot. All groups were shot at just under 200 yards.
All but 2 groups measured under 1.5 inches. The larger groups were at the higher extreme ends of the ladder sets. None showed any signs of excess pressure.
I fired another group with 150 grain btsp bullets that measured 1.25 inches for a 5 shot group which I wasn't really expecting. The gun doesn't seem to be very picky about bullets.
Here is the rifle
The barrel is 30 inches long and 1.25 inches in diameter the length of the barrel. I haven't weighed the gun yet, but the barrel alone weighs 10 lbs. The recoil from this rifle is negligible. I could shoot this all day with no problems.
Today's session should have gotten the gun nearly broken in. It will be interesting to see how the groups continue to shoot. I need to take my chronograph with me and find out what the loads are doing.
Now I need to load some cast and see what it will do with those.

Scharfschuetze
11-02-2016, 12:27 AM
Looks like a winner Taz. I'll bet it gets even better from here on out.

pressonregardless
11-02-2016, 07:22 AM
Nice rifle, looks like she's a shooter too !!

Texas by God
11-02-2016, 09:39 AM
Where's the dollie? Just kidding- that is sweet! Best, Thomas.

tazman
11-02-2016, 10:32 AM
Where's the dollie? Just kidding- that is sweet! Best, Thomas.

I definitely get some exercise packing it around. Fortunately, it only goes from the truck to the shooting line.

Texas by God
11-02-2016, 02:39 PM
A friend built a bull gun .308 on a Mark X single shot action and it loved 190 gr Sierra Matchking over IMR 4895. ER SHAW 28". FAJEN English walnut stock. This was when the only synthetic stocks were Brown, Six, & McMillan. He sold it to buy a wedding ring. Best, Thomas.

osteodoc08
11-11-2016, 10:31 AM
So how did you end up liking your scope?

CHeatermk3
11-11-2016, 07:18 PM
Thomas posted:
"A friend built a bull gun .308 on a Mark X single shot action and it loved 190 gr Sierra Matchking over IMR 4895. ER SHAW 28". FAJEN English walnut stock. This was when the only synthetic stocks were Brown, Six, & McMillan. He sold it to buy a wedding ring."

Now that's true love!!

tazman
11-11-2016, 09:30 PM
So how did you end up liking your scope?

I love it. It allows me to aim very precisely.
It also allows me to see just how much I am moving which explains my previous group sizes when I didn't think I was moving but couldn't see it. The 1/8 MOA dot is smaller than the aiming point(3/4 in sticky dot) I am using at 200 yards. I had a little trouble seeing the center dot until I refocused the eyepiece for my eyes. Then it is much easier to locate. Point of aim/impact isn't moving at all and the adjustments are pretty close to what they should be.
The rifle is finally getting broken in and stabilizing. I had to make some small adjustments to the stock to completely free float the barrel. The barrel, which weighs 10 lbs by itself, is heavy enough to flex the stock when on the bipod.
I relieved the area under the barrel at the very front of the stock for about 2 inches back and now it clears.
These are targets I shot today at 200 yards at the end of the session when the wind had died down a bit. The group on the left is shot with Hornady 165 grain V-Max bullets. The group on the right and the close up were shot with Hornady 168 BTHP match bullets.
The left group measures 1.5 inches. The right group and the close up measures .5 inches(1/2 inch) center to center and is a 5 shot group.
I just need to get it adjusted over a tiny bit so it hits center.
I chickened out after 5 shots. I couldn't stand to take the chance of ruining the group, but I think 5 shots is enough to prove the point.
A friend had his chronograph at the range today so I fired 3 loads over it with this rifle. They were 2967fps, 2971fps, and 2968 fps.
I was amazed at the consistency but that explains the tiny group.
The load is supposed to be running about 2720fps from a 24 inch barrel according to the loading manual. I get the extra velocity from the extra 6 inches of barrel on this gun.
I am going to give it one more day at the 200 yard range and then see what I can do with it at 300 and 600 yards.

osteodoc08
11-12-2016, 10:24 AM
That's some mighty fine shooting and I'd be proud of that as well. Glad you liked the scope and it seems you've got a shooter on your hands