PDA

View Full Version : New to loading cast...

Redleg11b
10-31-2016, 08:33 PM
...and I don't pour my own (yet and may be a while). I purchased some .358 SWC at a reported "about 18 Brinnell" to try in my 4" GP100 and a H&R Handi rifle. I have a lot of reading to do :).

dubber123
10-31-2016, 08:39 PM
Welcome aboard. One thing there isn't a shortage of here, and that is reading material :)

Hick
10-31-2016, 11:25 PM
Welcome. There are some very, very, experienced oldtimers here that will help you with everything. Starting like you are is just what I did (not all that many years ago). First I reloaded (jacketed), then I tried buying cast bullets to learn how to make them work, then started casting my own. There is always some new thing to try, and you can't do it all at once. That's one thing I love about this hobby (addiction??)-- every time I try something new I get an idea about something else to try, it's a never-ending experiment.

Wayne Smith
11-01-2016, 07:54 AM
Wow! 18 is hard for a pistol. Too bad you are not casting yet, those would be good to season some ww metal!

Redleg11b
11-01-2016, 07:25 PM
Wow! 18 is hard for a pistol. Too bad you are not casting yet, those would be good to season some ww metal!
Most of them will be used in the rifle. I plan on finding an accuracy load with adequate velocity for hunting. More than a function test in the revolver will be dependent on how badly they lead. So far I have only reloaded for the rifle and shot factory fodder through the Ruger (a few plated trailboss loads notwithstanding). One step at a time.

I appreciate the warm welcome.

Kraschenbirn
11-01-2016, 07:47 PM
Welcome aboard. If you know anyone who casts his own, you might ask him/her to verify that 'reported' Bhn #. 18 Bhn is getting up into the hardness range of water-quenched Lyman #2 and some older type metals and not necessary for pistol-caliber velocities.

Bill

Buckshot
11-02-2016, 01:28 AM
Welcome Redleg11b, are/were you a cannon cocker? Out of curiosity, why are you wanting/needing your slugs so hard?

............Buckshot

rugerdude
11-02-2016, 09:15 AM
I know the feeling!

I started reloading for handguns in '96 and used J bullets exclusively for several years. Then I decided to try cast boolits because they were a lot cheaper for target shooting. After loading and shooting them for a while I decided to try them in my .44 Mag for hunting. Now I want to try my hand at casting my own, but my 2 year old daughter has my available time and funds pretty much non-existent, so it may be a while!

I will say that 18 BHN is a bit hard. I have a fair supply of Oregon Trail and Leadheads boolits left and they are in the 20-22 BHN range and are just TOO hard. That said, the Leadheads 44-250-K (22 BHN) works great in my .44 Mag Ruger Bisley and has accounted for several deer. But I'll say right off that the 12 BHN boolits I got from Rim Rock work MUCH better in my .38's and are more accurate. I'm figuring out that FIT makes a LOT more difference than HARDNESS.

Soundguy
11-02-2016, 06:55 PM
I'm using closer to 15 bhn in 357 revolver, and same with a gas check in 35rem.

18 would seem to be quenched ww.

Boolseye
11-05-2016, 12:46 AM
Welcome! It's all here.

Oklahoma Rebel
11-05-2016, 12:42 PM
why are you expecting them to lead badly? I know that 18 is too hard but still, what kind of lube are you using?